It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Liberals REALLY More Intelligent Than Conservatives?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 07:38 PM
link   

you sir should at least own up your trickery in misquoting me

You misquoted your own study by saying these states were evenly mixed blue and red. I just pointed out that that list is almost all red, in opposition to your claim.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Here's a list of the most educated cities, and their affiliation as best I can remember:

1. Boulder, Colo.- purple state?
2. Ann Arbor, Mich.- blue state
3. Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, D.C.-Va.-Md.-W.V. - blue/red turning purple/blue
4. Durham-Chapel Hill, N.C.- red or purple?
5. San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, Calif.- blue
6. Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk, Conn. - blue
7. San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont, Calif.- blue
8. Boston-Cambridge-Quincy, Mass.-N.H. - blue/red
9. Madison, Wis. - blue
10. Raleigh-Cary, N.C.- red or purple?

www.usnews.com...

edit on 5-2-2012 by CB328 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by CB328

No I did not; maybe a bit of comprehension, or lack thereof is to be suspect here. You meshed together a list of States, pertaining to income per capita to a separate paragraph that was explaining the overall of what I had wrote to that point.

Most of the poster's categories had a healthy mix of "liberal ran governments, along with "conservative" ran governments. That particular list, yes had states that tend to lean conservative, though their make-up of Government doesn't equate to the amount of economic output and median income -- unless you are a politician and wish to use it to make/break an argument.

But let us look at Mississippi. While both the House and Senate are held by Republicans, they do not have some vast majority. And while they currently have a Republican governor, they are historically a democratic bastion.

The whole of the discussion has been political ideology does not determine intelligence. But keep showing up that vast intelligence you have been bringing to the table.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
No.

Both are equally unintelligent for being mentally weak enough to fall for an engineered and superficial left/right paradigm.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by CB328
Here's a list of the most educated cities, and their affiliation as best I can remember:

1. Boulder, Colo.- purple state?
2. Ann Arbor, Mich.- blue state
3. Washington-Arlington-Alexandria, D.C.-Va.-Md.-W.V. - blue/red turning purple/blue
4. Durham-Chapel Hill, N.C.- red or purple?
5. San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, Calif.- blue
6. Bridgeport-Stamford-Norwalk, Conn. - blue
7. San Francisco-Oakland-Fremont, Calif.- blue
8. Boston-Cambridge-Quincy, Mass.-N.H. - blue/red
9. Madison, Wis. - blue
10. Raleigh-Cary, N.C.- red or purple?

www.usnews.com...

The only issue is you are mixing cities with states. Many cities could fall one way politically while the whole of the state falls another.

Take for instance San Jose-Sunnyvale-Santa Clara, Calif; in which you have labeled as the State perceived color of blue, but those cities don't really follow the false paradigm of left/right -- nor do most cities. They keep the (R)/(D) out of the race and pick the best candidates.

Interesting in your assessment though is you are absolute when pointing out a "blue" state while give a sense of uncertainty when you list cities that reside in states that could be considered "red".

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   
The OP speaks of absolutes, and unfortunately life isn't so simple. That's why it's possible that both of these parties are equally intelligent or not intelligent, but this fact bears little relevance in regards to the current state of the nation.
edit on 5-2-2012 by v1rtu0s0 because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-2-2012 by v1rtu0s0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by technical difficulties

Originally posted by Henley
reply to post by technical difficulties

Well I hope you feel better now that you have become angry in your posting. That's another difference between the two groups.
I could use the fact that avoided my post completely as another difference between the two groups, but I like to think that there are some conservatives out there who actually intelligent.

Point proved. The group you come from feels anger and hate if they dont agree with what you believe. It's all about you, isnt it? You cant stand the fact that others dont agree with the outlook you have on life. Why cant you believe what you want to believe and let others do the same?

There are many intelligent people in both groups. Why attack? You are one of those that cant allow others to have opinions.

This wasnt a hateful board, until you came along.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 08:35 PM
link   
ATTENTION!!!

Here's the topic

Are Liberals REALLY More Intelligent Than Conservatives?

Discuss it and not each other. Personal attacks and off topic remarks will be removed.

We expect civility and decorum within all topics - Please Review This Link.

Reaffirming Our Desire For Productive Political Debate (REVISED)

Terms and Conditions of Use--Please Review

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Well my IQ is around 145 (higher than about 99.7% of the world) and I tend to favor the Republican party. However, both sides are corrupt, so I really don't even pay much attention anymore. In my opinion it's all rigged anyway.

edit on 5-2-2012 by JohnnySasaki because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Here is the bottom line, as far as my opinion is on this matter -- along with the sister thread that this is a rebuttal to:

The true intelligence of any group is measured by their ability to not allow themselves to be bound by the collective mindset that they each must march to the beat of the established drum. I believe this is where the vast majority of the electorate resides and is the part of society that needs to start flexing their inherent political power.

“Anyone who conducts an argument by appealing to authority is not using his intelligence; he is just using his memory.” -- Leonardo Da Vinci

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by spav5
reply to post by VitriolAndAngst

I agree with much of what you say. I was speaking more specifically of left/right politics where personal ideologies of my professors were not expressed.

I see that you have not shaken the indoctrination against hippies : )

Peace

>> No, I have to make the automatic disclaimer about "no hippy influence." However, I can't find much they weren't right about. The blockheads who criticized them and worship Rush Limbaugh today are wrong about everything -- so the "Hippy mention" is an inside joke for anyone who is enlightened and "gets it."

Jesus was the first Hippy and its one of his few redeeming qualities.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

Well, the only time Liberals have a consistent message is when they are in the middle of a Straw Man debate with the Right and nobody invited a Liberal to the conversation.

If any group had no followers and only leaders, it's Cats and Liberals and you can't herd either. Conservatives are, for all their faults, the bedrock of this nation. And everyone wants Conservatives working for them. No group is easier to exploit and then thank you for the privilege later. But no group of people will fight harder for a lost cause, or give you the shirt off their back.

When Conservatives are on the right path -- they are unstoppable -- and when on the wrong path, they run off the cliff. Unfortunately, as Conservatives go, so goes the country. "Leaders" like Limbaugh, Rove, Romney and the rest of the clown show, are amused by how they can manipulate these good folks. I give Conservatives a hard time, because I want them to do the right thing -- and they are too busy following disingenuous ideologues who laugh behind their backs.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 09:38 PM
link   
The answer is yes definately yes. We are also more compassionate, and all the other good things about people. Just not many of us are rich. What is up with that?

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnySasaki
Well my IQ is around 145 (higher than about 99.7% of the world) and I tend to favor the Republican party. However, both sides are corrupt, so I really don't even pay much attention anymore. In my opinion it's all rigged anyway.

What the hell, I got like 142, I know I'm intelligent in many fields but I would almost feel bad if I was in the 1% top...I'm canadian and I'm mostly left in my thinking.

Both sides are indeed corrupted, sadly intelligence doesn't come with ego balancing and impossible to corrupt.
Theses are things everyone should learn intelligent or less.
edit on 5-2-2012 by User8911 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   
all i can say on the subject is that if you are pro-war then you are of low consciousness and if you are for peace then you are of a higher consciousness, that is a fact

much love to you all

namaste

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   
The main thing that I've noticed about conservatives, is that they tend to mistake profanity and name-calling for rational argument. That is, they won't talk about their ideas, or the political issues themselves, but instead they view other people in a conversation as enemies, and attack *them* verbally, rather than discussing the topic on its' own merits.

Another thing I've noticed (which is part of the very definition of the word "conservative,") is that the conservatives I've spoken to online, do not continually (or even occasionally, in many cases) test their ideas, or demonstrate willingness to change them if, as a result of said testing, said ideas are found to be logically false or not reflective of reality.

Conservatives will tend to adopt or maintain a belief depending on whether it appeals to them emotionally, (or allows them to live in a manner which they prefer, even if said manner is actually harmful to themselves or others) and then try to construct a rational argument to support said emotion, rather than the other way around. The fact that they often can't successfully do this, I think has a lot to do with the reason why they try to resort to profanity or insults in order to try and win arguments.

I personally believe that ideas should only be accepted, if after being tested, they are demonstrated to be accurate or correct; it's a scientific approach, or what I consider scientific.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Well, its an interesting ops. If you feel that higher education = liberal education, then yes, you can come to that conclusion.
Of course, you give no reasoning behind why the crazy liberal ideas are somehow inferior. You have the legalization of mary as some sort of liberal mindset pushing into society as part of the brainwashing as an example.

I would think a freedom loving conservative would be equally as outraged at the government telling you what you can or cannot consume. Typically, for the "moral" conservative, such things need to remain illegal, but whiskey is great (statistically, far more crime, damage, and health issues comes from consumption of alcohol than the other thing cons are typically against). Why? Because...yep, you guessed it. brainwashing by a -conservative- media to stick up for the cotton and alcohol industry's agenda.

I can, point for point, explain to you the educated and factual understandings of most social liberal ideology. I can source and back up anything I state. I rarely need to resort to feelings and some rather poor interpretation of amendments to the constitution. Actually, I can clearly show the direct lines of most social liberal ideologies that support the philosophy.

The major difference is, a strong libertarian type conservative will look at the constitution and see that is the absolute pinnicle of society...that it is perfect, and nothing more should ever be added..basically our civilization peaked hundreds of years ago and all we can hope to achieve is a holding pattern for eternity.
A liberal mindset will see the constitution as a fantastic piece of legislation, and we can also put things on top of this as our collective wisdom and prosperity grows...in order to form a more perfect union as it were.

My personal home life is actually more conservative than the typical conservative. I dictate where my principles, morals, and patriotism lays in my own domain. I see any society that tries to regulate the above as a sign of weakness towards the particular subject.

So..ya.

Are liberals really more intelligent than conservatives? social liberals, you betcha..brainwashed intellects? well, we are all programmed by society in some way..those whom are free of programming of ideas and ideals are non-existant. your parents, school, preachers, politicians, corporations, etc are in a constant state of programming and counter programming one another.

Here is something to consider. Those whom had a high intellect to begin with went on to advanced education because they understood the subject far better than the ones whom simply couldn't understand it and so dropped out. No university 'brainwashing' needed.

My university experience consisted of lots of computers, programming (code), and other such things. Most of my liberal viewpoints developed after college. during my late teens and very early 20s, I was independent and uncaring overall.it was traveling the world, contemplating each discussion that popped up, that formed my worldview. I used to consider myself independent, but the more I tried to investigate in on social conservative ideas, the more I thought the concepts were proposterous and fully out of line with the concepts of what the united states was founded on.

ok, counter rant to counter your rant. and as mentioned before, it is a well thought out rant you put forward..skewed of course,
but at least its more eloquent then the typical "since when has smarts meaned anythin, I can make a potato gun! Take that libralz!"
But your final paragraph on the second post is pure raw sewage. If you are going to do the waltz, dont end it with a burp.
edit on 5-2-2012 by SaturnFX because: speeling mastake

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

I half appreciate your message and you were spot-on until you had to throw in your ideological edge.

Originally posted by VitriolAndAngst
Well, the only time Liberals have a consistent message is when they are in the middle of a Straw Man debate with the Right and nobody invited a Liberal to the conversation.

I just don't buy this; sorry. I lean pretty much Right but I fail to march in line. You then put in "quotes" supposed champions of the Right -- yet you are parroting their very lines with the above quote.

And we wonder why we cannot accomplish anything -- and I mean anything. It is this line of marching to the drums of your perceived Party that puts us straight in the dump.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
The major difference is, a strong libertarian type conservative will look at the constitution and see that is the absolute pinnicle of society...that it is perfect, and nothing more should ever be added..basically our civilization peaked hundreds of years ago and all we can hope to achieve is a holding pattern for eternity.

I am not sure where you drawing this wisdom from on this premise. Care to elaborate?

A liberal mindset will see the constitution as a fantastic piece of legislation, and we can also put things on top of this as our collective wisdom and prosperity grows...in order to form a more perfect union as it were.

I think you are being quite subjective in this whole matter. But nonetheless you beautifully wrote your side of the argument in a way that would make Madison blush with contempt.
edit on 5-2-2012 by ownbestenemy because: Fixed the stupid quotes/.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by seabag

Considering your entire point RELIES on the fact that you did not understand the difference between general and absolute, I have to wonder if you are a liberal or a conservative.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join