It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iranian naval ships dock at Saudi port

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Iran says this is a display of authority in international waters, as well as conveying the country's message of peace and friendship !!

The ships docked in the Saudi port city of Jeddah and include some destroyers.

PressTV mentions that the ships are part of Iran's 18th Fleet.

Sat Feb 4, 2012 6:12PM GMT -- PressTV

Rear Admiral Habibollah Sayyari said on Friday that the fleet, consisted of Khark supplier and Shahid Naqdi destroyers, arrived at Jeddah port in line with Ayatollah Seyyed Ali Khamenei's order to increase the country's presence in international waters.

“The mission started a few days ago and aims…to prove Iran's naval might and to counter [Western] Iranophobia [efforts],” he said.

The commander added that the mission would last between 70 to 80 days.

Sayyari said that the Iranian fleet conveys the country's message of peace and friendship to regional countries.

PressTV Article

Related Article:
Feb 4 01:27 PM US/Eastern -- Breitbart

Iranian naval ships docked on Saturday in the Saudi port city of Jeddah on a mission to project the Islamic republic's "power on the open seas," the Fars news agency reported.
The supply ship Kharg and Shaid Qandi, a destroyer, docked in the Red Sea port in line with orders from Iran's supreme leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, it quoted navy commander Admiral Habibollah Sayari as saying. ....

Tehran has also called on Riyadh to reconsider its vow to make up for any shortfall in Iran's oil exports due to sanctions over its nuclear programme, saying Riyadh's pledge to intervene on the market was unfriendly.

Breitbart Article

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
18th fleet? Really?

Where are the other 17 fleets?
They have:

65 Aircraft
5 Frigates
3 Corvettes
26 Submarines
24 Fast Attack Craft
98 Large Patrol craft
+100 light missile boat

Yeah, I know, it's wikipedia, but you'd think at least they would update it, no?

Even the USA doesn't have an "18th Fleet".

edit on 2/4/2012 by abecedarian because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by abecedarian
18th fleet? Really?

Where are the other 17 fleets?
They have:

65 Aircraft
5 Frigates
3 Corvettes
26 Submarines
24 Fast Attack Craft
98 Large Patrol craft
+100 light missile boat

Yeah, I know, it's wikipedia, but you'd think at least they would update it, no?

Even the USA doesn't have an "18th Fleet".

edit on 2/4/2012 by abecedarian because: (no reason given)

I think it is up to each and every country to define the number of ships that are in one fleet. Apart from that not every country is as stupid to waste trillions of dollars, money that they don't have, on its military. Basically there is only one country in the world stupid enough.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

18th Fleet?
THat is like asking the banker to start your cheques with 5001 so your bill collectors don't think you are a newbie!
the Persians and their Naval Fleet History!!! aye -ya-ya

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
The rest are all in dry dock.
This posturing doesnt really bode well however....psychologically...these are some reaally inferior feeling dudes and they could be nasty......
Iran too is looking bad....

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Nice thread again

I cant see the Saudis risking their existance for the US when the [SNIP] goes down.

I could be wrong but I think they are friendlier with Iran behind the scenes than what they are officially.

top topics

join