It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

West Coast USA: Pay Attention, Cascadia May Be Ready to Rupture

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

If you are an avid watched of the seismic activity on the West Coast, you may or may not know that these "patterns" are Usually attributed to the "Episodic Tremor and Slip". ETS events happen about every 12-14th months. The plate sliding under the West Coast ends up "slipping" over a short period. Albeit these causes many smaller tremors, from what I've read, they also believe that during an ETS event it might "trigger" the "big one"...

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
psst...hey zworld...you got any updates you can share on the current status of ocean bottom deployments in Cascadia? Or any where else for that matter. You better believe I am very interested in that data.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Having lived in the Seattle/Tacoma area for several years, I made it a point to learn about the area and the dangers it presented. Put the Puget Sound area into a box, if you will. On the eastern side, we have Mt Rainier, active and ready to blow in the forseeable future. On the Northern side, a major river flows from Mt Rainier, as is true for the Southern side of this "box". On the west, is, of course Puget Sound. Interstate 5 highway is also a contributing factor in all of this, as it is always congested, from north of Seattle down well into Oregon.

If the Cascadia goes off, those 2 rivers and the Sound will all have alot of water moving through them, cutting off any exit through that route, and effectively cutting off Interstate 5 both north and south of the metropolis area.
This of course, is besides all the shaking damage the area will experience, and the additional massive damage that will be done to roadways, overpasses, etc in the area.

If the volcano goes off, again, both rivers, north and south will be impassible,you will have lahars and possibly pyroclastic flows coming off the mountain. According to the research I have done, these flows can reach Puget Sound. Many of the current suburbs and small towns are located on old lahars.

The end result in either case will be a devestating loss of life and property. I have seen the ground moving up and down in an area about 25 miles from the actual summit of Mt Rainier, and have felt tremors when hiking on the Wonderland trail.

After watching the tremors and such online, we decided that we were much safer moving out of the area. I think we made the right decision.

On a more personal note, I have had 3 consecutive "dreams" where I was taken to Mt Rainier and the region and showed just what was going to happen in the near future. Thing is, they didn't seem like dreams at all, had no characteristics of dreams, and unlike most dreams, I remember them as clearly as if I were there, right now. Weirdly, there was no talking, I was just taken by someone else, a person I feel was male, and shown things that normal people couldn't see. I saw a hand pointing to what I was supposed to be paying attention to, and then into my head came the facts that this would be a devastating disaster for the region, and of course, just what I was supposed to be seeing and what I needed to understand about the entire event ahead. Since this hasn't happened in my recent past, I'm not sure just how to take it, or what it's supposed to mean. I just thought I would add my 2 cents in here. Needless to say, it has me "creeped out".

Peace!
SK

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
OK I did it. It was difficult, but I pulled it off. The title is Deep Tremors and Big Earthquakes

www.abovetopsecret.com...

It's my first thread so be gentle.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
psst...hey zworld...you got any updates you can share on the current status of ocean bottom deployments in Cascadia? Or any where else for that matter. You better believe I am very interested in that data.

Nothing really. Other than getting back into the loop yesterday. Ive been deep into Fukushima. But in the last few days before this recent activity up north, I have been having funny feelings of a swaying motion that no one else feels. Probably nothing and definitely not scientific, but that is the direction my research was going before Fukushima, the sublime and ethereal aspects of EQ prediction.

I know this. When I stand on the shore and look out, I can feel the ocean, and the earth underneath, and nobodies happy. So I stay prepared at all times.

Tomorrow or the next day though I dont think anyone can say even with all the research that has been done recently. That includes the amazing stuff the Russians and others have done with sound which Jaded and Cynical and others have posted threads about.

Thats why I think that getting even an eight or ten hour warning or alert would be great, and tremor activity might give us that. Unfortunately as it now stands we only get data once a day, and would need real time data for predictions.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

Thanks for your reply. Very informative. You pointed out a lot of things that I didn't think about at all. Thinking about the ground opening up is not pleasant. :S

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by BobAthome
reply to post by TrueAmerican

Just doing USGS job i see,,
last time USGS did this they were only out by 11 years,,and got scared feet, lol,,
I second your Hypothesis,, with a B.C confirmation.

Me.
1+

1++

Now if within the next 2 hour framerate, there is movement on the Cascadia,, old 6mg or above,

the warning Index goes too

and of course three is theoretically impossable.

At least that is my suggestion.

Me.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Ok so my mom always told me she gets very dizzy before an earthquake. The next day there is almost always an earthquake that went off somewhere. Then the day before the earthquake, Like 3 days ago I got really dizzy for no reason. I've never felt THAT kind of dizzy. It was different and I could tell there was something up. The next day I check my news app and read about it. Gave Mr the chills so I told my mom
She got dizzy the day before too.
It's just once, randomly, and its a feeling I can tell u I've never experienced before. It was kinda freaky

Anybody else have this happen to then too?
Is it a primitive tool of the brain used to warn us?

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by zworld

Originally posted by TrueAmerican

Nothing really.

Ok thanks. Well I do.

cascadia.uoregon.edu...

Looking like in May they are going to start pulling them up! And I think the data is going to be public. Very way cool.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by BobAthome

Bob, lol, if I could EVER figure out WHAT IN THE HECK you are talking about, I'd be happy to reply sometime- but as it stands, your methods of communication are simply just not working for me.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by SweetKarma

Would you please be willing to share as much detail as you can about your Vision of what will happen . . . Mt Rainier etc.?

I care a lot about the region and am fascinated by prophetic dreams and visions.

God be with you and yours.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 11:23 PM
link   
The last week I've felt like I'm under a thick cloud. More antsy I guess. Like somethings building up. I can feel it in the air even. Also the weather here is, well, unseasonly. Feburarys in Oregon are not sunny and warm. Not even close. Everything just feels out of whack. I don't think anybody notices it. I'm waiting for the 11th. Something always goes down on the 11th. Maybe this is why it feels like somethings building up.
I wonder if anyone in Japan 'felt' something in the weeks/days building up to the 11th.
I got dizzy the day before the earthquake off the coast. I'm just wondering if anybody feels anything weird during natural disasters. Anyone???

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Drezden

Luckly most of the Oregon coast towns are situated above tsunami zones. Most of the coast is straight cliffs to the ocean. Some cities are within tsunami zones, however, its not very populated.
Unfortunatly you are right. We are not prepared for an earthquake. The willamette valley is an ancient lake with soft soil.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by otie1

Earthquakes and fault lines can produce a wide array of feelings. I mentioned above the feeling of being gently swayed yet no earthquakes were occurring until the next day. Its very hard to say what the underlying cause of any unusual feelings might be, as we live in very strange times. We are bombarded by microwaves constantly that could be playing havoc with neuronal processes, nobody knows for sure. So many other things could be affecting us, so pin pointing anything is difficult.

But I believe you can pick up earth's vibrations, pressure waves emitted, magnetic changes etc and these can cause dizziness, vertigo or what have you if you are sensitive to these things. Animals naturally are.

It is an avenue of EQ predicting, pre quake biological reactions, that the Russians have been looking at for sometime, and I believe some day will prove very valuable.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   
A quick overview of deep tremor activity. These quakes are less than magnitude 2, very deep, and are never felt above ground. What they represent is the leading edge of the plate that is subducting, being pushed down into the mantle and melting away. Episodic tremor and slips occur in numerous locations around the world. The Cascadia Subduction Zone has two primary areas with ETS, at it's northern end, and southern end. There are also ETS's in the mid section, but these are smaller events and not well studied. The first pic shows the most recent ETS's in the CSZ. The second pic shows where the two plates, the JDF and Gorda, end. The Gorda is being pushed clockwise between three plates, the JDF, Pacific and North American. That is why it's at an angle to JDF.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by BobAthome

"Now if within the next 2 hour framerate, there is movement on the Cascadia,"
California Quake,,

So ,,there is now movement,, ;
after a lull,,,
this is the watch period,,
for Cascadia,,

Thats as close as i can figure out.

Me.

Predict,, central californian ,,movement too INCREASE.

Me.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by otie1

There is quite a long thread here regarding those of us who sense these things.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I've been feeling strange here in Southern California the last week or so myself. It comes and goes. I had started feeling really dizzy on the 1st I believe, felt better on the 2nd, and then it kind of picked back up on the 3rd and has been on and off every day since. I thought it was just all of the small 2.0 local quakes getting to me, but I don't know. Today my head has been aching like crazy and I just feel bad all around. Like, I'm really sad and stressed out and not sleeping well and I have no idea why. Maybe something is looming, maybe it's just me being a female. Browse through that thread and feel free to share your stories there.

edit on 2/6/2012 by TMG333 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Dmonix

Hi there! Yes, I am very familiar with it. What most people don't realize is that while there are extremely active periods of tremor, that mark the ETS...there are actually deep tremors occuring all the time.

Here is a link to my original thread Another slow tremor beneath washington state... it is progressive as myself and others learned about this study.

Here is my most recent thread on it ETS 2011

It may be the better thread, because it starts with all the info that the first thread took awhile to compile.

Here is the best link for info on the ETS phenomenom :
PNSN tremor website

info:

ETS website

When I talk about patterns, I am referring to the time periods in between the ETS events. There are deep tremors up and down the zone all the time.

I also just want to point out that while people are referring to these as earthquaks i think it important to stress that we are dealing with slow traveling waves vs the typical fast quake waves and subsequent tremors. It is still really all based on theories. it is assumed to be associated with subducting zone because to date, these slow, deep tremors have only been found in areas of subducting plates, but they don't really know what it means.
edit on 6-2-2012 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by westcoast

I also just want to point out that while people are referring to these as earthquaks i think it important to stress that we are dealing with slow traveling waves vs the typical fast quake waves and subsequent tremors. It is still really all based on theories. it is assumed to be associated with subducting zone because to date, these slow, deep tremors have only been found in areas of subducting plates, but they don't really know what it means.

Yes, I should make clear that the theory of the tremors caused by the leading edge/forearc melting into the asthenosphere is only theory, based on the positioning of these tremors. It makes sense, but science is far from proving anything concerning tremors one way or the other.

I keep forgetting to say when things are my theories and when they are fact. I need to remember that. My bad.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join