It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

West Coast USA: Pay Attention, Cascadia May Be Ready to Rupture

page: 28
<< 25  26  27    29  30  31 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 15 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Interesting thread, but I'm pretty sure nothing is going to happen. As soon as Bill Gates packs up and leaves town, I'll take things a little more seriously. Seattle is home to over 400,000 turbo geeks who pay close attention to matters such as this.

I could be wrong... Maybe I'm just saying this because I'm depressed and wishing for fresh doom.

OP: If you're right, I thank you, because whiskey and panic sex are in my not so distant future!

posted on May, 14 2012 @ 04:39 AM
link   
As I have said before, why worry about earthquakes - however large they are when everyone will be wiped out by the radiation from the nuke plants getting busted.

Each question which gets asked is continually bringing the point of the conversation back to focus our minds on earthquakes, and it is almost as if someone does not want us to realise that there is something far worse and dark than that which will happen as a result of a large earthquake. Yes, quakes are important and they will be the trigger which finally destroys half the world - and thats if we are lucky. If we are unlucky, we will all perish.

I realise this is an earthquake thread, but you cannot discuss quakes without raising the issue of the real and greater danger which comes from radiation after the quakes have done.

posted on Jun, 6 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   
en.video.sympatico.ca... up

billionaire ,,wow.

u.s.-billionaire-lists-b.c.-island-hideaway-for-sale/1675571784001?sort=date&page=1

U.S. billionaire lists B.C. island hideaway for sale.
looky ,,looky,,spooky spooky,,

posted on Jun, 12 2012 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Death of beached whale draws crowds to B.C. beach

news.sympatico.ctv.ca...

start??

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Once again, just in case, be advised that several quakes have occurred in a short period of time off the coast:

MAP 5.2 2012/07/21 06:04:21 40.430 -125.234 0.6 OFFSHORE NORTHERN CALIFORNIA
MAP 5.1 2012/07/21 01:52:00 40.382 -125.559 10.0 OFFSHORE NORTHERN CALIFORNIA
MAP 4.0 2012/07/21 00:34:27 44.199 -128.280 10.1 OFF THE COAST OF OREGON

earthquake.usgs.gov...

And they are increasing in magnitude.

Can't you be nice, dear Mother Nature, and just give us the usual one here and there, instead of cranking this all up at once like this? It makes the paranoid more nervous than they already are.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

I must admit...these rattlings make me nervous as well!

Thanks for the heads up!

-Paranoid II-

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Yeah, when I saw this earlier I wondered whats in store now.... Havent seen this mag here in over a year but I could be wrong. Its late, im lazy, and I just dont feel like researching it tonight.

posted on Jul, 21 2012 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
Once again, just in case, be advised that several quakes have occurred in a short period of time off the coast:

MAP 5.2 2012/07/21 06:04:21 40.430 -125.234 0.6 OFFSHORE NORTHERN CALIFORNIA
MAP 5.1 2012/07/21 01:52:00 40.382 -125.559 10.0 OFFSHORE NORTHERN CALIFORNIA
MAP 4.0 2012/07/21 00:34:27 44.199 -128.280 10.1 OFF THE COAST OF OREGON

earthquake.usgs.gov...

And they are increasing in magnitude.

Can't you be nice, dear Mother Nature, and just give us the usual one here and there, instead of cranking this all up at once like this? It makes the paranoid more nervous than they already are.

I wonder why I didn't get an the email about the northern cal quake. I'm supposed to get all quakes over 5.0 from usgs. Is there a better place to get alerts from?

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
There has been a lot of action off the west coast this week

It is a rather interesting looking ring of sorts on the recent EQ map!

earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Jul, 25 2012 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Still active.

Magnitude 4.3
Date-Time Wednesday, July 25, 2012 at 22:24:18 UTC
Wednesday, July 25, 2012 at 01:24:18 PM at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones
Location 44.233°N, 128.961°W
Depth 10.4 km (6.5 miles)
Region OFF THE COAST OF OREGON
Distances 386 km (239 miles) WNW of Barview, Oregon
393 km (244 miles) WNW of Coos Bay, Oregon
454 km (282 miles) W of Dallas, Oregon
455 km (282 miles) W of Corvallis, Oregon

USGS

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   
This is a strange little group snapping offshore Oregon over the past 3 days.

Source(settings = all Mag, past 7 days)

Most of the earthquakes are at the surface. Underwater landslides? While in the same group there was a Mag 3.0 at 21.9 km deep and a Mag 1.9 at 18.36 km deep.

Maybe the depths aren't accurate for many of these listed at the surface, since all of the seismos are located on land?

I checked the PNSN tremor map and found a tiny bit of activity just NE of this earthquake grouping.

The yellow lines in the above pic, represent the subducting slab at 20, 30, & 40 km depth, from left to right. So the quakes listed at approximately 20 km depth, are occurring below the subducting slab, and the ETS is probably unrelated to these earthquakes. Well that's my guess.

ETA: You can see these earthquakes pretty well on station TA.L02D..BHZ Cave Junction, OR.
Here is a link to the past 12 hours which shows the quakes are continuing.

edit on 8/1/2012 by Olivine because: add a link

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Olivine

That's the same spot they always get moved out to sea from. I wouldn't trust a single one of them, as has been shown in this thread many times. One thing I don't like about the new USGS real time map is you can't see whether the quake is auto picked or reviewed. Had to go to the old link for that, and looks like first pass reviews on all so far. Which means, again, they will probably be moved. Although at that point I would question how they could sense a 1.5 that far out at sea from land.

If I were you, I'd get John Vidale's opinion on how trustworthy those quake locations and depths are, at this point in time.

posted on Aug, 1 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Good point, TA. I'll send him a note, and see what he thinks. It may take a bit as it is only 5:30am Pacific time.

The Mag 3.0 has been reviewed and has a 'good' location quality. While the most recent listed quake in the area Mag 2.2 at 04:30 UTC (depth 0.4 km) is on 'version #3' with a 'fair' location quality.

It looks like PNSN is trying to get these locations pinned down.
Thanks for your input.

Hmmm, that Mag 2.2 I linked to above, has a depth uncertainty of 3.06 km and horizontal uncertainty of 4.24km. That could put it at the slab interface (or just above). I really am interested to get his thoughts...

edit on 8/1/2012 by Olivine because: (no reason given)

edit on 8/1/2012 by Olivine because: (no reason given)

edit on 8/1/2012 by Olivine because: my spelling s u c k s

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Olivine

Update:

I wrote to John Vidale, asking if they were sticking with epicenter locations/depths, and here is his response:

Depths are highly uncertain, epicentral locations are about right.

John

from cell

Now obviously John was mobile or busy or tied up, but he still responded, and so thanks to John for that!

So looks like the PNSN is going to "about" stick with the epicenters, at least for now. As to the depths, clearly there is still doubt. If we look at the +/- error margins of depths and epicenters, one thing I could say is that the bigger the quake, the better the read they are getting on the depths. The tiny ones with depths at "0 km" are probably the more "highly uncertain" ones- and that's why they basically show no or little depth.

But moving onto to the more general location of the epicenters.... And the fact that we have small swarm there.... Well? What do you guys want me to say? This is following some other activity, times two, that I have already alerted in this thread. Do I like it? NO!!!!!!!!!!

Should we freak out? NO!!!! Just keep an eye on it, to those that live there and stand to be affected. I mean we've got all this activity as of recent, we have sciencedaily saying 40% percent chance of major quake in next 50 years in the southern part of the zone, right where this swarm is, and saying that southern zone is overdue, so yes, there is reason to be concerned and extra vigilant.

ESPECIALLY if quakes start occurring in the locked zone, or bigger quakes anywhere in my Purple path. If only we had historic records back some 500 years of pre-major quake activity, so we could see what kinds of things happened before the big one!

BUT, we dont.
We can't be sure. We don't know if there were little quakes first, swarms, or what. We don't know if there was zero warning first. Or if there was a lot of false warnings- potentially what we are seeing here.

We just don't know. SO the only thing the public can do is just be alert and get prepared. If it happened tomorrow and you weren't prepared, you have no one to blame but your own self. You've been given the advisories, there have been quakes, and now a small swarm, so---- what more can one do, other than MOVE if you want to avoid it completely. If you cannot, then prepare. This is no joke and no fantasy. It is COMING, like it or not.

posted on Aug, 2 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
And just to add: John appears to be on vacation, so I have heard. So I temporarily place on "disclaimer suspension" most of what I just said above until he gets back to the office and has a further look. They still could get moved. But no reason not to prepare. That is still key for those that live there, no matter what is said, and by whom. There's no denying the evidence anymore. Cascadia is going to break. It's overdue on the southern part of the zone. Be ready. Have food. Have water. Candles, flashlights, tents, etc. The Survival Forum here has some great threads that can help.
edit on Thu Aug 2nd 2012 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 3 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   
50% in the next 50 years is a bit too high, though.

www.oregonlive.com - Major earthquake in Oregon could be in next 50 years...

"Right now, we have already exceeded 75 percent of the known recurrence intervals over the last 10,000 years. By the year 2060, we will have exceeded 85 percent of them, if we don't have an earthquake by then," said Goldfinger. "If the Cascadia fault had a warranty against failure, it would have expired many years ago."

The Southern Oregon coast faces the greatest risk. Between Florence and Cape Mendocino, Calif., the report predicts an earthquake between 8.1 and 8.3 magnitude in the next 50 years at about 40 percent.

A larger earthquake like the 9.0 magnitude one in Japan has only a 10 percent chance, but could affect the entire Oregon coast.

So the best chances are 40% in 50 years and they're for the southern oregon coast. The chances of the entire oregon coast having effects is 10%. In that case, the quake is about 9.0 magnitude.

I live in NW Oregon and I can say that people are being told about it. We're even being reminded again of the event in Japan by the debris that're washing up on our beaches.
edit on 3-8-2012 by jonnywhite because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   

reply to post by Olivine

Update:

I wrote to John Vidale, asking if they were sticking with epicenter locations/depths, and here is his response:

Depths are highly uncertain, epicentral locations are about right.

John

from cell

Now obviously John was mobile or busy or tied up, but he still responded, and so thanks to John for that!

So looks like the PNSN is going to "about" stick with the epicenters, at least for now. As to the depths, clearly there is still doubt. If we look at the +/- error margins of depths and epicenters, one thing I could say is that the bigger the quake, the better the read they are getting on the depths. The tiny ones with depths at "0 km" are probably the more "highly uncertain" ones- and that's why they basically show no or little depth.

But moving onto to the more general location of the epicenters.... And the fact that we have small swarm there.... Well? What do you guys want me to say? This is following some other activity, times two, that I have already alerted in this thread. Do I like it? NO!!!!!!!!!!

Should we freak out? NO!!!! Just keep an eye on it, to those that live there and stand to be affected. I mean we've got all this activity as of recent, we have sciencedaily saying 40% percent chance of major quake in next 50 years in the southern part of the zone, right where this swarm is, and saying that southern zone is overdue, so yes, there is reason to be concerned and extra vigilant.

ESPECIALLY if quakes start occurring in the locked zone, or bigger quakes anywhere in my Purple path. If only we had historic records back some 500 years of pre-major quake activity, so we could see what kinds of things happened before the big one!

BUT, we dont.
We can't be sure. We don't know if there were little quakes first, swarms, or what. We don't know if there was zero warning first. Or if there was a lot of false warnings- potentially what we are seeing here.

We just don't know. SO the only thing the public can do is just be alert and get prepared. If it happened tomorrow and you weren't prepared, you have no one to blame but your own self. You've been given the advisories, there have been quakes, and now a small swarm, so---- what more can one do, other than MOVE if you want to avoid it completely. If you cannot, then prepare. This is no joke and no fantasy. It is COMING, like it or not.

Well we have the offshore volcano and the ancient repeated layers of debris from monster landslides! We have water and food, but will we be dry I wish i could be sure as the inundation map for our are does show the roads flooded and no way out.

Glad you and others are watching makes me feel better.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by BobAthome
en.video.sympatico.ca... up

billionaire ,,wow.

u.s.-billionaire-lists-b.c.-island-hideaway-for-sale/1675571784001?sort=date&page=1

U.S. billionaire lists B.C. island hideaway for sale.
looky ,,looky,,spooky spooky,,

I saw a sales show on Tv the other day, seems the rich are selling their Islands and very cheep, you can get a whole Island with wonderful house for $250,000. Amazing...

this website is interesting..
www.pnsn.org...
edit on 4-8-2012 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   

And just to add: John appears to be on vacation, so I have heard. So I temporarily place on "disclaimer suspension" most of what I just said above until he gets back to the office and has a further look. They still could get moved. But no reason not to prepare. That is still key for those that live there, no matter what is said, and by whom. There's no denying the evidence anymore. Cascadia is going to break. It's overdue on the southern part of the zone. Be ready. Have food. Have water. Candles, flashlights, tents, etc. The Survival Forum here has some great threads that can help.
edit on Thu Aug 2nd 2012 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

Does John live here on the coast and that is why he is on vacation perhaps?

I am wondering how close sea water has to come to my well to contaminate the water.

posted on Aug, 4 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by BobAthome
Death of beached whale draws crowds to B.C. beach

news.sympatico.ctv.ca...

start??

Looks like that was in June?

new topics

top topics

<< 25  26  27    29  30  31 >>

join