It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

West Coast USA: Pay Attention, Cascadia May Be Ready to Rupture

page: 25
<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
1. Please do not move this to skunk works, I would be truly disappointed.
2. Nonnez I am glad you posted that quake yesterday. It was worth the mention.
3. I notice that this morning there were two small quakes in that off shore Northern California area. From reading back, this is the same spot that was acting up in mid- February. Basically, same depth and same location. One was a 3.6, not quite a 4 but I think it is worth noting.

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by AuntB
1. Please do not move this to skunk works, I would be truly disappointed.

Why? That's exactly what the SW forum is for- speculation. And there have been many posts in the SW forum that have gotten more attention than this thread.

Just be it known that I was there, to catch the increase in activity, to point it out, so people could be a little more aware of what was going on. I am fine with trashing this thread. In fact, I wrote a note to the mods and an admin even, to ask that it be trashed after it appeared that I was scaring a few people- and they wouldn't do it, cause there were too many posters and a lot of information in this thread. I can see their point, so I did not argue the matter after an admin got involved and told me no.

I don't like that 3.3 either. Not where it is, and not at this time, in the context of all the other activity. I believe it occurred in the transition zone, just beyond the locked zone. So maybe it's not so bad... I hope...
edit on Mon Mar 19th 2012 by TrueAmerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Two more quakes happened, a 3.7 and 3.1, right off Oregon in the P path:

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Both those events have been reviewed by seismologists, so it says.
3.1:
earthquake.usgs.gov...
3.7:
earthquake.usgs.gov...

And both of those events will probably get moved out to sea. They happened in the same exact spot where the others were moved out to sea, so why all of a sudden would these be allowed to stay there? Note that the source on these is John's network, the PNSN.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 06:49 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

edit on 20-3-2012 by Flavian because: Idiocy from confusion

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 04:14 PM
link   

What do you make of this?:

"Mysterious Rumblings in Sooke Bring Down a Barn"
www.abovetopsecret.com...
by Brandon88
started on 3/19/2012 @ 11:58 PM

Originally posted by Brandon88
www.ctvvancouverisland.ca...

In January people reported feeling serious vibrations from Sooke to Victoria, some worried it was an earthquake. That thought crossed Sharon Hanslip’s mind as well when she felt three blasts yesterday morning. The last one so severe it brought a barn on her property crashing to the ground. Seismologists say it wasn’t an earthquake and Sooke’s mayor, Wendal Milne said he doubts it can be attributed to the company responsible for January’s blasting as it didn’t feel the same…

More rumbling in Sooke, and it was strong enough to bring down a barn. According to the owner there was 3 separate blasts and the 3rd one was the one that caused the barn to collapse. Things are defiantly starting to get interesting around the world. Seismologists say it wasn't an earthquake so what could it have been any theories?

Along with the rattling in Wisconsin which has been happening from Sunday till today, and I'm sure there is a huge list of others two. Whats causing the planet to rumble all across the globe. www.cnn.com...
edit on 19-3-2012 by Brandon88 because: (no reason given)

Location of Sooke, British Columbia:

upload.wikimedia.org...

edit on 3/20/2012 by this_is_who_we_are because: link

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Cascadia Subduction Zone is nearly a twin of the Sumatra Subduction Zone

The duration of our current quiet period has already exceeded 75% of the quiet periods between quakes in Cascadia's history.

Chris Goldfinger of OSU, who has studied Cascadia extensively, now says he expects either a M8+ or M9+ quake before 2060

Good facts/probabilities to know.
edit on 20-3-2012 by BiggerPicture because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by this_is_who_we_are

What do you make of this?:

"Mysterious Rumblings in Sooke Bring Down a Barn"

Well, seeing as this is happening in the CSZ, yeah I did kind of look into it. I pulled a few plots of the two closest seismic stations I could find, which are at about 30-35 km away from Sooke, and saw some possibilities of what could be the cause of their rumblings. But all in all, I think I finally settled on the conclusion that the construction site using heavy equipment right across from her was probably the source.

The old barn might possibly have been due to fail anyway. The previous rumblings could have excited a resonance in the structure, weakening it further, and when the last one hit with more amplitude, it probably took the barn just over the edge and it failed. Collapse.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   

That sounds plausible. Thanks for looking into it.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Do you think this buoy rocking in the Seatle area ties into anything

www.ndbc.noaa.gov...

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by this_is_who_we_are

Well that's just one possibility of course. Another is that it could have to do with the slow slip tremor that has been occurring under Vancouver Island, and which is discussed on other threads more at length. We already know that detecting that tremor is a little tougher than it seems through all the noise. And once you're into bandpass filtering noise to try and decipher a deeper signal, I am not so sure I am putting 100% stock in that.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   

A few small quakes just popped up in Tennesseee and Missouri since the Mexico quake (small ones).....California and Alaska are having a few too. I know it's kind of normal but......could it be related in any way? That is the area of the New Madrid fault, is it not?

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by StealthyKat

I think most of the scientists would tell you no...but I am not sold on that school of thought. I believe that things are more connected than thought.

I think there have been a few instances of probably correlation between quakes at a distance when it is a major event....but I don't think there are any hard theories out there that are accepted.
edit on 20-3-2012 by westcoast because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by westcoast

Thanks for answering that WC! I'm going to watch Cali.....they are having a little swarm and some 4's.

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by StealthyKat

A few small quakes just popped up in Tennesseee and Missouri since the Mexico quake (small ones).....California and Alaska are having a few too. I know it's kind of normal but......could it be related in any way? That is the area of the New Madrid fault, is it not?

The 3 listed for Tennessee for Niota & Tellico Plains are in the eastern part of the state closer to the Eastern Tennessee Seismic Zone. Runs along the Smoky Mountains.

The Ridgely one is in the western part of the state near the New Madrid.

Hope that helps!!
OiO

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by OneisOne

Thanks One....yes it did help....I appreciate the reply!

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Hey can we get an expert earthquake opinion on the usage of "earth rupture" in the Mexican earthquake today?

Thank you in advance for any help!

Noob Here

187/188 DAYS ? ---- WOW----Strong 7.9/8m long earthquake shakes Mexico City,

posted on Mar, 20 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Oh nice. Now it says this for those two last quakes off Oregon:

This is a computer-generated message -- this event has not yet been reviewed by a seismologist.

When if you just look at my post above, that was one of the first things I checked and even posted it. On both quakes, they had been reviewed. Now that's kinda sly preparation for the move! Put it back to computer generated, then move them, and put reviewed on them again?

I guess with what John has explained previously about them helping the USGS to locate quakes off Oregon, it's what to expect. Can't trust those close ones off shore. Not until much later after thorough review.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   

I got distracted by a meeting (and the impending start of the spring quarter) for a couple of days.

Yes, the pair of earthquakes off Newport are accurately located in map view, although the depth is uncertain, and are likely on the plate interface, although they could be in the subducting slab underneath. A little more interesting than the usual earthquakes.

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnVidale

Yes, the pair of earthquakes off Newport are accurately located in map view, although the depth is uncertain, and are likely on the plate interface, although they could be in the subducting slab underneath.

So do you have any idea why these have gone from computer generated (CG), to reviewed, and then back to CG? They are still showing CG and I just checked... And if they are still CG, then how can you say what you just said with confidence? I mean I just don't understand- the CG didn't get the last ones right, and you guys relocated them way out to sea. So why do these all of a sudden qualify to stay?

A little more interesting than the usual earthquakes.

Well yeah, if I could depend on those locations, they would be. Can you?

posted on Mar, 23 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Hello everyone this is my first post on ats im a long time lurker and finally decided to join up and post something that maybe of interest i live and work on the west coast vancouver bc canada im employed at the international airport located near richmond bc, my observations over the last few years and particularily the last couple of months have brought me to conclude something is not right with the weather, the temperature it is below seasonal and cold for us here but during the day and evening we are recieving spikes of hot temperature fluctuations that make you feel sick and uncomfortable, these weather changes are causing people to have flu like symptoms and experiencing hot flashes or a burning sensation, this is being reported by many other individuals who i have spoken with, could this phenomena be related to HAARP, or chemtrail spraying or is the heat escaping from the earth near the subduction zone or faults, laylines, is this a precursor to an upcoming large earthquake also on occasion while working during late nights i have also felt ground movement or rolling waves standing near the the airport this is at night time during no flights, airport is closed during this time no activity just thought i would post this, we are all waiting for the big one

<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join