It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can We ALL Agree the GM Chevy Volt is a Flop?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Eric Bolling has been driving one for a few weeks.

Conclusion: Chevy Volt is a boondoggle flop.

The range is too short. He is getting 18 miles and then it flips to gas engine for

extended range. The price is about $46,000 and no one is buying it.

Also, the electricity that charges it probably comes from a coal fired power plant!

Put the Chevy Volt in a museum right next to the Edsel.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Eurisko2012

And we should have stopped the Space Program after the Apollo 1 deaths.

We all know how badly that ended.

À small step for man, A large step for mankind

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tw0Sides

And we should have stopped the Space Program after the Apollo 1 deaths.

We all know how badly that ended.

À small step for man, A large step for mankind

Nissan got it right. Leaf
New Minivan on the way.

Chevy Volt

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
i could care less how crappy the car is, what pisses me off is that it was funded by tax dollars. i mean, if you're going to use tax dollars to fund something like this, make sure the damn thing is affordable and actually works.

there is no excuse for our tax dollars to be used this way. it would have been a neutral thing in my book if they had made some amazing breakthrough, but they didn't.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Well now, it would be difficult to call it a big success.

Can't really call it a success of any sort.

It is a flop. If they had built even more of them that they couldn't sell, it could have been a MEGA-FLOP!

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bob Sholtz
i could care less how crappy the car is, what pisses me off is that it was funded by tax dollars. i mean, if you're going to use tax dollars to fund something like this, make sure the damn thing is affordable and actually works.

there is no excuse for our tax dollars to be used this way. it would have been a neutral thing in my book if they had made some amazing breakthrough, but they didn't.

GM should have gone all electric.

Wait for the battery technology to progress to the point people will buy it.

The big heavy engine should be ripped out and replaced with a heavy battery pack.

Nissan Leaf is a much better solution.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Eurisko2012

So...

Eric Bolling says so....

I did a little research on Eric and found this.

Career
Bolling was a commodities trader on the New York Mercantile Exchange. He specialized in trading natural gas, crude oil, gold, and other commodities
Source

The range is too short. He is getting 18 miles and then it flips to gas engine for extended range. The price is about $46,000 and no one is buying it.

Bollin's background in Oil commodities should be a telling sign why he has come out swinging against Electric cars. [Not just the Chevy Volt but also the Nissan Leaf as well] He recently slammed the Government for giving Nissan [Which has plants here in the US and hires a couple hundred thousand Americans] incentives.

Also, the electricity that charges it probably comes from a coal fired power plant!

That IS an issue that should be addressed I'll agree but I think considering the present situation in the Gulf [Which some believe will touch off WW-III] anything heading away from dependency on ME OIL is a good thing IMO.

No?

edit on 4-2-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Automakers don't want the electric car to succeed. Electric motors will last a million miles, planned obsolescence goes out the window. The only actual moving parts are the bearings.

Of course the hold back is the batteries, but batteries are easy to change, and battery technology is improving rapidly.

www.gizmag.com...

New battery technology may allow for complete recharging within minutes

And the prices of the batteries are dropping.

www.bloomberg.com...

Rechargeable Car Battery Glut to Worsen Price War at Samsung, Panasonic

So what are the recycling costs? Not that much at current time, and as usage grows, it will get to be cheaper.

batteryuniversity.com...

Rather than calculate the cost according to battery chemistry, some countries deal in tonnage. The flat cost to recycle a ton of batteries is $1,000 to $2,000, and Europe hopes to achieve a cost per ton of $300. Ideally, this would include transportation, but moving and handling the goods is expected to double the overall cost. To simplify transportation, Europe is setting up several smaller processing plants in strategic geographic locations.

And a 300AH battery weighs 20.61 Lbs. Not a whole lot of weight.

The biggest problem with the electric vehicle is that it eliminates a whole lot of big business.

Wind mill chargers anyone?

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

So...

Eric Bolling says so....

Career
Bolling was a commodities trader on the New York Mercantile Exchange. He specialized in trading natural gas, crude oil, gold, and other commodities
Source

The range is too short. He is getting 18 miles and then it flips to gas engine for extended range. The price is about $46,000 and no one is buying it.

Bollin's back ground in Oil commodities should be a telling sign why he has come out swinging against Electric cars. [Not just the Chevy Volt but also the Nissan Leaf as well] He recently slammed the Government for giving Nissan [Which has plants here in the US and hires a couple hundred thousand Americans] incentives.

That IS an issues that should be addressed I'll agree but I think considering the present situation in the Gulf [Which some believe will touch off WW-III] anything heading away from dependency on ME OIL is a good thing IMO.

No?

It makes more sense to buy a gas car that gets about 30 MPG.

That sounds like a Honda Accord or Honda Civic.

Both of those cars cost less and when you get home you don't have to bother

plugging it in.

Both Hondas also perform well in crash tests.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   

So...

Eric Bolling says so....

Career
Source

Bollin's back ground in Oil commodities should be a telling sign why he has come out swinging against Electric cars. [Not just the Chevy Volt but also the Nissan Leaf as well] He recently slammed the Government for giving Nissan [Which has plants here in the US and hires a couple hundred thousand Americans] incentives.

That IS an issues that should be addressed I'll agree but I think considering the present situation in the Gulf [Which some believe will touch off WW-III] anything heading away from dependency on ME OIL is a good thing IMO.

No?

Chevy was very smart in going after Bolling. If they could have won over one of their biggest critics it would have been a huge coup.

Chevy has a track record of doing this with their detractors. Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity were given hybrid Suburbans and Tahoes to try out and Chevy received a lot of great on-air reviews from them.

But it seems the Chevy Volt is so bad, that this public relations endeavor failed for them.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
I would rather push a ford than drive a chevy

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Well of course its a flop by design, just think about all the money lost to the internal combustion engine builders and parts that break . just food for thought as an electrician i have built many UPS back up systems that will keep factories running at full speed for hours until the mains are brought back online so "they" the genius multi-billionare auto makers cant make a car drive far a couple hundred miles, really? oh just a reminder the earth is flat you know

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
if the us can become a leader in the electric market and we can stop depending on foreign oil and it will help create well paying american jobs then i am all for the us government funding this project. i say keep trying and dont give up, and hopefully the car will improve.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b
The biggest problem with the electric vehicle is that it eliminates a whole lot of big business.

Wind mill chargers anyone?

Big Business.....

That's true. Some get bent out of shape if the US Government gives some Companies a couple Millions or Billions in subsidies to research and develop these types of vehicles and technology [Which in the long run will do the US and the World a great favor] I consider it an investment which will pay off handsomely.

Conversely, many of those same opponents don't bat an eye on the costs of waging war in the ME to maintain the "Status Quo" which is costing hundreds of Billions annually. Now, Which is the lesser of the two evils?

Eh?

P.S. I support the troops, Not the wars.

Semper Fi

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Why is the price so high?

Electric motors don't cost that much. Batteries don't cost that much. These should be lightweight vehicles, and modern electronics with master lead controls should enable multiple vehicles to be tied together.

Electric motorcycles are already cheap. Put together a couple of motorcycles, and you have a nice enclosed lightweight vehicle.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by conspiracy nut
if the us can become a leader in the electric market and we can stop depending on foreign oil and it will help create well paying american jobs then i am all for the us government funding this project. i say keep trying and dont give up, and hopefully the car will improve.

Every year battery technology improves.

Just wait for the power density to increase and the cost to decrease.

In the meantime stop throwing money down the drain on products NO ONE wants

to buy!

Chevy Volt = disaster

Solyndra = disaster

Money down the drain.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   

P.S. I support the troops, Not the wars.

Semper Fi

I support actors and actresses, Not Hollywood.

Wow that makes a lot of senses, doesn't it.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Battery tech is already here, didn't you see my post.

What is missing is the will to make vehicles that will eliminate big business dominance of industry.

Small lightweight vehicles will not need giant corps to manufacture. Will not need big business to power.

The oil industry and the automobile industry see their demise in the electric automobile.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carseller4
I support actors and actresses, Not Hollywood.

Wow that makes a lot of senses, doesn't it.

Politicians [Many of whom are in the pockets of Big Oil/Business] declare wars not soldiers.

I didn't mean to wake you.

edit on 4-2-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by poet1b

Battery tech is already here, didn't you see my post.

What is missing is the will to make vehicles that will eliminate big business dominance of industry.

Small lightweight vehicles will not need giant corps to manufacture. Will not need big business to power.

The oil industry and the automobile industry see their demise in the electric automobile.

The cost of the battery pack is too high.

We just need to be patient. The Nissan Leaf is an excellent solution.

It only goes 100 miles. Eventually, a new battery pack will take it 200 miles.

Americans won't have to plug it in everyday.

It's too much of a hassle.

Buy a 2012 Honda Accord instead. Very reliable and fun to drive!
edit on 4-2-2012 by Eurisko2012 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join