It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Study says racists and conservatives are dumb

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
Already been posted and a complete load of rubbish anyway.A study was done sometime last year that proved the complete opposite.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

reply to post by User8911

It's easier to be happy with conservative ideas. You just have to think for yourself, be selfish and think that everything around you is going just right...ever tough millions are suffering from scarcity.

Nicely done. You've managed to pigeon hole 50%, or more, of Americans into one nice neat little category that fits your ideological stereotypes. Wrongly, but hey...

Again, nicely done.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by User8911

It's easier to be happy with conservative ideas. You just have to think for yourself, be selfish and think that everything around you is going just right...ever tough millions are suffering from scarcity.

We live in a VERY liberal society. Happiness is largely a choice. Liberals striving for everyone to be 'happy' is just chasing rabbits because happiness is far too subjective. The truth is, liberals just wallow in drama and victimhood and have extremely vulnerable feelings. From the infamous survey correlating political views with TV viewing choices, liberals LOVE shows about damaged people. The fact of the matter is, no matter how liberal and 'equal' our society is, liberals will ALWAYS find a group to pity and treat as victims. They just get off on things like that. Their worldviews are purely emotionally-driven.

One thing that boosts my esteem although, at least I'm not a conservative.

Being liberal is the 'hip' thing today. You share your views with the celebs, the 'beautiful people'. Good for you.
edit on 2/4/2012 by Charmed707 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   
We all know that racists are dumb. You don't need a scientific study to figure it out. We also know that most racists, especially in Western countries, tend to hold conservative and right-wing positions. It dosen't necassary suggest that conservatives are dumb (not at all) just that racists are dumb and racists tend to be conservatives, thus there are alot of racists amongst the conservatives and right-wing.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
A thought just occured to me.

I've been at certain facilities in the past that housed individuals with lower mental accuity. People of every stripe were housed there.
And yet, very little issue has ever come up regarding race.

Racism is an associative thought process.

When a person sees another person of a different race, the thought process is rather complex in that it has to reason and justify their hatred.

People of lower IQ's simply don't have that ability.

Maybe, just maybe, the smarter you are, the more propencity you have to become racist.

A bunch of neo-nazi skinheads in your current country of residence have a rather complex thought process before smashing in the brains of non-whites or homosexuals

Beezer I'm almost afraid to ask you how smart you think you are....

I must be dumb though, I judge people according to their behaviour and not their skin colour, silly me

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I honestly believe there may be a difference in the use of certain portions of the brain between people who label themselves 'conservative' and those who label themselves 'liberal', and possibly even those who claim to be more 'independent' or 'libertarian'. (no cheap shots here now....)

Think along the lines of so called 'left brain/right brain thought patterns and logical/creative patterns etc.

Think along the lines of those who become engineers vs say someone who becomes a writer or professional musician....

Think the switch is on or off, the circuit either works or it doesn't vs adding another note here or there or changing a word in the lyrics to make the song more pleasing....

Now think of those who are able to utilize both 'sides' of the brain together the most efficiently and how it affects their views....

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 07:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by freethinker123

A bunch of neo-nazi skinheads in your current country of residence have a rather complex thought process before smashing in the brains of non-whites or homosexuals

Blacks are about 39 times more likely to commit a violent crime against a white person than vice-versa. Most 'hate crimes' against homosexuals are verbal. Stop acting like blacks are constantly being victimized by whites when it's the opposite that is true.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   

As soon as racists and conservatives are smart enough to deal in statistics I'm sure we'll get their point of view

One of the funniest replies I've ever read on this site... you don't have to be liberal or conservative to find this funny!

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlexIR

Next time you call group of right-wing racists a bunch of idiots, you can back yourself up with one simple word: Science! Researchers from Ontario, Canada’s Brock University have been slaving over test results to come to the conclusion that many not-so-scientifically-inclined have said for ages — both right-wing thinkers and racists alike are kind of dumb. The conclusion comes after spotting a correlation between children with low IQs and their ideologies later in life. It turns out that those with limited intelligence at a younger age are more likely to exhibit racist tendencies and favor more conservative political thinking as adults. Dr. Gordon Hodson, a professor of psychology and primary author of the findings, explains to Live Science that the, well, science of the issue is rather simple.

Source

Well it doesn't take a genius to figure out that these kinds of people are a huge danger to modern society. I mean hate and fear for other people is something that should have been gotten rid of a long time ago.

I would question the quality and intelligence of any researcher or research facility that would utilise the word 'dumb' to describe intelligence or lack of...

Dumb, means not being able to utter speech!

Having said that, I agree with the premise.

Akushla

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by AlexIR

you should see the conservative and racist version, of this survey

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by AlexIR

Does that include people who believe Global Warming is a hoax?. This so called study tarred a lot of folks with the same brush. Conclusions like this are unintelligent, stupid and serve no useful purpose. The OP is just trolling for stars and diatribes. William Buckley was one of the smartest people on earth and he was an ultra conservative. So now we are to believe his intellect was suspect. This isn't science it's claptrap!!!

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 08:23 PM
link   
If we're talking about people like Rick Santorum that share his ideology of gay marriage being the greatest threat to our security and think there's an Al Qaeda terrorist hiding around every corner and we need to shred the Constitution to protect ourselves, then I'm not surprised at all.
edit on 4-2-2012 by TupacShakur because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tecumte
I honestly believe there may be a difference in the use of certain portions of the brain between people who label themselves 'conservative' and those who label themselves 'liberal', and possibly even those who claim to be more 'independent' or 'libertarian'. (no cheap shots here now....)

Think along the lines of so called 'left brain/right brain thought patterns and logical/creative patterns etc.

Think along the lines of those who become engineers vs say someone who becomes a writer or professional musician....

Think the switch is on or off, the circuit either works or it doesn't vs adding another note here or there or changing a word in the lyrics to make the song more pleasing....

Now think of those who are able to utilize both 'sides' of the brain together the most efficiently and how it affects their views....

There is a lot of words there but nothing really said.

So I have thought along the lines in which you proposed. I see all walks of life within each category; in which I assume you were trying to make a salient point about; that do not always fall within a paradigm.

And then I thought about those that can utilize their brains in a more "efficient" manner (as you have described) and see no difference in what it has to do with this thread.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I can just see some scientist in a friggin lab coat coming this miraculous conclusion after months of research, when all he had to do was fly anywhere along the Coastal Plain or east of the Appalachian Mts.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Charmed707

Blacks are about 39 times more likely to commit a violent crime against a white person than vice-versa. Most 'hate crimes' against homosexuals are verbal. Stop acting like blacks are constantly being victimized by whites when it's the opposite that is true.

Oh I see, so if blacks comitt a violent crime its automatically a race crime? Is that what is called 'playing the race card?' And then you 'explain' verbal attacks on homosexuals? Well, so long as most of the skinheads only abuse verbally thats kind of ok!

Do you identify with neo-nazi skinheads? I ask because you were answering in that context.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by ownbestenemy

Originally posted by Tecumte

There is a lot of words there but nothing really said.

So I have thought along the lines in which you proposed. I see all walks of life within each category; in which I assume you were trying to make a salient point about; that do not always fall within a paradigm.

And then I thought about those that can utilize their brains in a more "efficient" manner (as you have described) and see no difference in what it has to do with this thread.

What I am getting at, is if perhaps there may be ways of seeing the world and cataloging data, that may even have to do with physical brain variations, not just nurture, that make people fall into these types of so called 'left/right' polar labels. While I don't want to stereotype I seem to sense that many people I have known seem to fall *mainly*(not exclusively) into the left brain/logical/conservative camp or the right brain/creative/liberal camp, but with a few in between. I don't claim it's either 'good nor bad', nor exact, just a sort of observed trend, and I was wondering if anyone else had similar feelings or observations, and might be able to elaborate on this.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Hmmm. A "study" comparing "conservatives" and "racists", calling them "dumb". How awfully suspicious this study sounds. How awfully politically motivated and.. dare I say it? Fake.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 09:32 PM
link   

Oh I see, so if blacks comitt a violent crime its automatically a race crime?

Blacks are far more likely to choose whites as their victims than vice-versa, yet you naively think that most racially-motivated crimes are committed by 'neo-nazi skinheads'. This is obvious by your constant emphasis on them. You're VERY out of touch with the US if you think there are all these nazis running around or that they are even accepted by society.

Well, so long as most of the skinheads only abuse verbally thats kind of ok!

You mentioned homosexuals having their 'heads bashed in' or something along those lines. Are you seriously comparing a violent physical attack to mere verbal speech?

Do you identify with neo-nazi skinheads? I ask because you were answering in that context.

Stating facts makes one a neo-nazi skinhead? You really need to do some research on the group of people you are so obsessed with.

Why are you so afraid of a little reality and defensive when confronted by it?

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ownbestenemy

My brain hurt trying to keep track

Was he/she saying liberals use both sides of the brain better? Are they ambidextrous

edit on 4-2-2012 by theubermensch because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   
I have both liberal and conservative tendencies, so let me start by clarifying that I am not trying to demonize anyone or make any generalizations here.

This study is definitely skewed. One of the things that really bothers me about scientists is the condescending attitude they tend to adopt, which liberals also seem to share. There is more than one flavor of intelligence, and scientists seem to enjoy raising logical intelligence above the rest, which is ironic since they failed horribly at basic formal logic; the statement "most racists are conservative" is not equivalent to the statement "most conservatives are racist." In my experience racism has normally come hand-in-hand with ignorance and conservative views though.

For example my dad is very conservative. He watches Fox News and worships papa bear, but he is very intelligent and not at all racist, at least in practice. However he routinely makes ignorant comments that make him seem racist. He has on several occasions made ignorant statements about Muslims and Latin Americans, knowing full and well that my roommate is from a Muslim background and that my girlfriend is Colombian. I know he is just repeating the stupid crap he hears on TV, but to me it demonstrates a connection between "TV conservatism" and racism. I know he would not act on his racism, but it's very clear to me that his racist statements are informed by his conservative worldview.

To me any ideology based on a distinction between "me and not me" or "people I care about and people I don't care about" is ignorant, which includes racism, "TV conservatism" and elitism. Thus this "study" is also ignorant, since its "results" serve only to polarize people and perpetuate stereotypes.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join