It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So happy and sore from my 1st day of work since 09!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Today was my first day of work at my new job. I woke up at 9am, went to my classes, (by classes i mean college) and went in for my first day of work at 4pm. I just got off a few minutes ago. Boy, am I so happy, and sore. (and I stink a bit to...)

I havent had a job since around March of 09. Sure, my new job isnt some high-class, making 6 figures a year kind of job, but Im still happy as heck. It's a restuarant, and im just a dishwasher at the moment, but being on my feet for over 7 hours and sweating my behind off definantly pays off in the end!

Anyways, just wanted to share this in General Chit Chat, since I feel so accomplished at the moment. (plus my feet hurt, my hands are still pruned, and I reek of dish water and mexican food).

edit on 4-2-2012 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Congratulations! I lost my job in October and since then I've fallen out of shape lol. I'd love to be back on the job and feel that sore but oh so satisfying feeling you only get after a hard days work!

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 12:07 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

Congratulations on your new job! I know it feels good to be earning money and progressing forward in life. You're in college and working...you are doing some really positive things with your life...I admire that.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Do you work in Az? I hear there's a lot of Mexican restaurants hiring there. I quit a restaurant job not too long ago. Kinda regretting it now. I can't find a job anywhere =(. Anyways congrats.. Glad to hear some good news brother. Stay alive be happy, =)
edit on 4-2-2012 by jhustla88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by TopherWayne

Congratulations! I lost my job in October and since then I've fallen out of shape lol. I'd love to be back on the job and feel that sore but oh so satisfying feeling you only get after a hard days work!

That's one thing I realized just as I was clocking out tonight. Im actually on my feet, moving around for a pretty good period of time. For the past while, I havent really been too physically active, other than working out for a little bit (30 minutes or less every few days), and I sit for a few hours in my classes, and sit and play video games...(im a nerd). Plus I smoke.

While picking up some plates today, I realized I dont have as much strength as I used to, and I got winded easier than I used to in the past. This will definantly help me physically. Plus my job dosent give anyone smoke breaks, or any breaks for that matter. (we just eat food that somehow got messed up if we're hungry). A good 7 hours or so without a smoke makes my lungs like me just a little bit more.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Dear buni11687,

Congratulations.

I havent had a job since around March of 09. Sure, my new job isnt some high-class, making 6 figures a year kind of job, but Im still happy as heck. It's a restuarant, and im just a dishwasher at the moment, but being on my feet for over 7 hours and sweating my behind off definantly pays off in the end!

Don't you ever say or think "just a dishwasher". There is no such thing, all work in service to others has value and is never "just". I have a doctorate and 30 years ago after I got it had to work for $4.00 an hour in every job you can imagine. It still felt a lot better than being unemployed, I felt I was earning my way. That is the real value, not the dollar amount. Doesn't if feel great to know that you have earned everything that you got and more. Peace and again, congratulations.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

Congratulations on your new job! I know it feels good to be earning money and progressing forward in life. You're in college and working...you are doing some really positive things with your life...I admire that.

Thanks! I have no idea what Im getting paid yet, (I forgot to ask what my pay/hour is, but its an "upscale" tex mex place, so Im guessing atleast $8/hour). If someone asked me 6 years ago what I would be doing right now, it definantly wouldnt be working or going to college (even just 1 one of those). I had a somewhat "not the best" past while I was younger, but I definantly turned a new leaf.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 12:20 AM
link   
reply to post by jhustla88

Im in north Texas, the Denton area. I actually found this job on craigslist. The economy is pretty bad, but for some reason, our area is hiring in more than just a few places.

My previous job in 09 was restaurant also. It's not the best sometimes, especially Friday and Saturday nights and days. The rush was horrible at those times in my previous job, and my coworkers say the same about my new one to. But, it pays off in the end, plus I love to cook.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 12:32 AM
link   
reply to post by AQuestion

True words right there. I really love cooking. Ive always started restaurant jobs as dishwashing or bussing, and I always want to make my way to cook. I guess I say "just a dishwasher" because that's how ive always started in restaurants. Im still proud of the work I do as dishwasher, or anything at all, but I just really love cooking.

I guess I kind of set my goal as being a cook, wherever I work. Cooking to me is not just work, it's fun.

Im working on my associates degree in sciences, plus I already have another in arts. During my past 1 1/2 years of college, Ive been unemployed. When I introduce myself to my classmates, I feel a bit awkward, since I didnt have a job. Now, I have so much more confidence. I know minimum wage is around 7.50ish, but if I could somehow land a job in a science field for only 5 or 6 and hour, I would so totally take that.

I know I only made like 50 dollars tonight, but I am ecstatic about it. When I turn on my PS3 later and play Battlefield 3, I will have a "mission accomplished" feeling.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Never be ashamed of or think down on your job. An honest job is an honest job! My first ever job I was a janitor at a grocery store working graveyard. I never looked down on it and never lied when people asked me what I did even though some folks tried to make me feel down on it.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Oh snap! An you play BF3 on PS3? Me too man, my gamer tag is Mullins301. Battlefield is THE game!

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 12:55 AM
link   

Bunit42000 is my gamer tag. Im not 100% sure I will end up playing tonight, but I definantly will within the next couple of days. BF3 > MW3 by far

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 01:08 AM
link   
Restaurant work is one of the hardest ones out there and also very underpaid. I'm happy for your bright outlook and positive attitude but so sad that in the US people have been pushed to this point. Good luck, Im honestly rooting for you.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 01:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Snoopy1978

Restaurant work is one of the hardest ones out there and also very underpaid.

I actually have never worked in any industry other than restuarants. From my past experience in the industry, new comers to the particular company applied to usually make minimum wage. (possibly making an extra dollar or 2 if you have prior experience). Almost any position, cook, dishwash, bus, ect... makes me end up sweating during the busy hours, although there is some quiet time between lunch and dinner. But during lunch and dinner, everyone's running around, yelling for this and that, and a whole nut house during that time. It's quite the workout!

I'm happy for your bright outlook and positive attitude but so sad that in the US people have been pushed to this point. Good luck, Im honestly rooting for you.

I have no idea what my life would be like if I had to live my life on just a restaurant job regular pay. If I had to pay rent, everything for my car, taxes, plus school, then food and living expenses.....I have no idea if I could do it. I mean, school for me is about 2,000 a semester, plus books which is another 1,000. Then gas, food, rent, supplies, ect....(im living with my dad at the moment)

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 01:54 AM
link   

Dear buni11687,

Im working on my associates degree in sciences, plus I already have another in arts. During my past 1 1/2 years of college, Ive been unemployed. When I introduce myself to my classmates, I feel a bit awkward, since I didnt have a job. Now, I have so much more confidence. I know minimum wage is around 7.50ish, but if I could somehow land a job in a science field for only 5 or 6 and hour, I would so totally take that. I know I only made like 50 dollars tonight, but I am ecstatic about it. When I turn on my PS3 later and play Battlefield 3, I will have a "mission accomplished" feeling.

I provide a place to live and food for two young men who would love to have paying jobs. I remember being unemployed twice and I hated it. I am older and not much left of this old rearend; but, I pay my way and that is good enough for me. My middle child, a daughter, got mad at me one day and moved out. She got a job and rented a room. I was so proud of her, you don't have to agree with dad; but, if you are going to tell him to go to hell you better be ready to cover your own stuff rather than tell me that I have to change. Free to be you and I am free to be me so long as I don't ask you to pay me to tell you how you have to change. I hope that makes some sense.

I also like to cook, I see cooking for others as an expression of love if it is done well and with that intent. If you can cook then you will get your chance, sous chef is often the beginning. I hope that you get your chance, cooking can be our passion and all passion; appropriately managed and done for the benefit of others makes our lives meaningful. Peace.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 04:21 AM
link   

I worked in the food biz for about 3 years

Started out dish washer/ food prep
Moved in about 2 months to cook

Was damn glad too!! Lol
Its hard, nasty work, washing dishes!

I will be honest i did like it
And i learned...

The dish washer is one of the most imporant jobs...

Without clean dishes and pots and pans...
And the dishwasher staying one step ahead
Everything comes screaming to a halt!

So i learned the dish washer is your greatest ally
A fundamental i keep in mind when i became cook lol

Congrats my friend!

I was once in your shoes!

Speaking of which...

You need a good pair of slip restiant shoes!
These are my fave!

They arent too expensive... They are durable!
They give you AWESOME traction! And they look sexy haha

Good luck in the future!

-Eric

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by buni11687

Bunit42000 is my gamer tag. Im not 100% sure I will end up playing tonight, but I definantly will within the next couple of days. BF3 > MW3 by far

Word! The Battlefield series has always been an overall more enjoyable experience than the CoD Franchise!

new topics

top topics

join