It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if all the major religions started out with the same story and it slowly diverged from there

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   
I've been doing alot of pondering lately about what the message to the world in The Bible, The Koran, The Talmud and others were originally meant to convey. Just speaking realistically here how are we to know what the original writers were intending when they felt inspiration to right down there thoughts.

Those who forget their history are doomed to repeat it.

What if there was a grand cataclysm in antiquity, which most major religions agree upon that was caused by man meddling with forces they shouldn't have. What if the story of Pandora's Box was a cautionary warning tale to future generations about the dangers in meddling with the building blocks of life and genetically tweaking viruses. What if due to ancient scientists unleashing the power of the atom and destroying parts of the world.

If you and a group of enlightened fellow survivors had knowledge of what led to some kind of earth shattering event that nearly wiped out humanity what would be the best way to pass that message on to future generations. It'd be kind of hard to explain to people that were reduced to a cave dwelling status about the why nots of genetically engineering life forms or how setting off a nuclear explosion near the wrong fault lines could create unimaginable consequences.
Wouldn't it be somewhat easier to start a story of Gods and Devils, forbidden knowledge that dooms your soul if looked into to deeply. The dangers of allowing a vampiric financial system being invited into your growing civilization being passed into the future with the story of Jesus and the moneylenders.

Maybe the verses regarding the worship of idols wasn't meant to be taken in a literal sense but was hoping to avoid the type of world where we spend a large portion of our lives staring reverentially at the idiot box. Couldn't that be a form of idol worship? How about not coveting your neighbors possessions as a way to help people in the future to not get caught up in the rat race trying to keep up with the Joneses. We spend such a large block of our lives chasing after transient glories like the purchase of a brand new car thats going to leave you indebted for the next 5 years of your life.

I'm of the opinion that even though science has progressed amazingly in the last century the world is far older and far more mysterious then we can begin to grasp. Who's to say that there haven't been civilizations in the past that were as advanced as we are now or even more so. Maybe the reason we don't find relics from the ancient societies is they progressed to a point in their evolution where they lived closer with the Earth then we do now and built from biodegradable materials so as not to leave a footprint on the planet. Maybe the energy source that powered their machinery wasn't a fossil fuel or nuclear fusion, maybe being more advanced then us they figured out how to harness the power of the universe, zero point energy or something we haven't even begun to understand yet.
The planet is billions of years old according to most modern scientists, wouldn't the weather cycles and geo-physical changes thrown in with a super-volcano here and a massive tsunami there be enough to erase any trace of such a civilization?

I have just been feeling more and more so recently with science and religion meeting in places we couldn't have forseen, Vatican talking about aliens, scientists gaining the ability to unleash plagues that could wipe out the entire population, scientists attempting to recreate the big bang. Maybe along with the parables about how to live our lives there are warnings mixed in about messing with forces that can't be controlled. We don't have a corner on the market of understanding the human condition and what causes will lead to what actions.

Maybe due to the passing of massive amounts of time and human interference for their own gains the only parts of the original message to make it through are related in terms of magical powers and godlike beings from above with unexplainable powers. I dunno, I;m starting to get tired and ramble so I'm going to let it go for the night and pick up tomorrow. Thanks to anyone who took the time to read this and can decypher the direction I'm trying to head with this.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Made me think of this clip

www.youtube.com...
edit on 3-2-2012 by theubermensch because: (no reason given)

edit on 4/2/2012 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   
reply to post by theubermensch

Link didn't work but I'd be interested in checking it out.

Got it now, thanks.
edit on 3-2-2012 by QuestionsEverything because: fixed link

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Makes sense to me, it would explain all the coincidences between religious aspects of ancient cultures that developed continents apart.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Their mostly all one in the same. May be some differences here and there, but all cut from the same cloth.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by QuestionsEverything

What if this is the most obvious thing under the sun?

Does this mean that through the BS, and the applied dogmas, the hate and violence in the name of God under the assumption of a 'just war', it's all essentially the same? Does this mean that even with the texts or with out, man will just find ways to justify acts of assumed weighing and measuring of others, only to cut off what doesn't bring balance?

right....

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Ahh the Zeitgeist, I've seen this clip in the past, thanks for the refresher. The video does a good job of laying out the similarities between the major religions of ancient times.

I just wonder if religion was used to pass down grave warnings for humanity to not repeat the mistakes of our ancestors. You know how if you tell a friend a story about something extraordinary you've seen, the next person he tells it to is going to get an even more elaborate tale of what happened. It's human nature to further expound details, either to make the story more interesting or to boost an ego. Sometimes things may just get lost in translation.

Then if you get into the politicalization of religion you have someone with an agenda, beyond just serving the common man, censoring the unflattering parts or adding parts to suit their will. Its common knowledge that the book we have today as Gods Bible written by divine inspiration was assembled in Nicea by the early church. They pick and chose their way into creating something that is no doubt different then the original.

And if Christianity was based upon even older religions which much of the evidence points to, what was the reason for the schism? And what knowledge and teachings have been lost from the original works of Mythrism or Zoroastrianism or were corrupted back then to fit the needs of a growing movement?

It seems like the farther back in antiquity we go the more magical the world seems, was there magic in the world back then that has simply been lost or is it more of a situation occurring where the surviving technologies were so incomprehensible to ancient man that they were looked on as magical.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by MESSAGEFROMTHESTARS

Do you think its an instance of nature vs nurture or do you think without religions interference we would be living in a completely different paradigm.

I'm just wondering what the very 1st, the original religion or great philosophy of the time, was trying to convey.

What do you think of the possibility of far advanced civilizations technologically superior to ourselves having unleashed the great deluge through science not Gods great judgement?

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by RenegadeScholar

Agreed. What do you think the original motivation was behind compiling these great historical documents that are infused with tales of gods and miracles.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Clearly we did not all begin on the same level as creatures species or whatever....
Those that were above the rest knew they were above the rest. I think we are diluted forms of those first ones. I used to be very confident of an all seeing being and the Christian POV which converged nicely with Zechariah Sitchin... but now I don't know. Admit I know what amounts to be...nothing.

edit on 4-2-2012 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 12:00 AM
link   

I think it was trying to convey an understanding of the cosmos, as well as a numerology application(which came a little later), but essentially was composed as a derivative of a cognitive function.... kinda like that of Thales and his theory that everything breaks down to water, which then implies hydrogen.... If you know anything about the Big Bang, this would be true, in a sense...

I've done much research on the topic in which you have addressed....

There's A LOT to this... more than I could ever post on ATS, it would be 20 posts long, and still not do justice...

Remember the saying 'as is above, so is below', well this very idea is very much the construct in which religion and the philosophy that came with it is derived from... as it was the influence for the celestial worship 'back in the day'...

There are many theories on the origins of religion, and I would imply that there was a Pantheistic or Pagan...

If there's any truth behind the fractal design of the cosmos and nature, there is a plausibility that the same story lines that play out through the numerical meanings behind it's developement are to be the same that actually take place on the level of life and the behaviours of humanity. As well as the implications that a being such as 'God' or 'Jesus' may actually exist, but that's a whole different beast to tackle, and I would suggest have a more of a psychological basis in relation to the evolution of humanity...

It's a very awesome topic for discussion, but any bland conversation truely doesn't give justice to the truth that it implies...

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by MESSAGEFROMTHESTARS

You bring up some interesting points and if you would be willing to pass on some of your favorite sources I would definitely do some digging. Always interested in new theories and ideas.

I'm trying to keep this from becoming a bland chit-chat, I'm fighting a losing battle with sleep right now though so time to call it a night.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 12:19 AM
link   
All religions most definately arose from one source. Think about it : almost all ancient religions have a "flood" story similiar to the one about Noah, and all have a trinity of some sort. Oh this may explain why pyramids are found throughout the world. Good points

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by QuestionsEverything

I just wonder if religion was used to pass down grave warnings for humanity to not repeat the mistakes of our ancestors. .

This is basically the plot of Nightfall. The best short story I have ever read.

Listen to audio of story

The story has an incredible plot with great ideas. I think of it every-time I read about 2012. It parallels a lot of whats going on today in my opinion.
edit on 4/2/2012 by osirys because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   
reply to post by markuz93

I agree that the majority of religions rose from a single central source, does anyone have knowledge I may not have seen that takes it all the way back to the very first. When you look at the warnings in Revelations its almost like they realized the type of technologies we would be utilizing and unleashing in the future out of some knowledge of what had happened in the past.

I guess I keep coming back to the belief we're not in the first advanced age, I think the Earth has seen advanced civilizations come and go over eons.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by markuz93

Look for the oldest surviving race/culture and go from there.

Australian Aborigines have the oldest verbal history of the past. The dream world and collective conscience are a factor of all living beings. We need to look to the land down under and go from there.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by osirys

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out when the audio won't have my sleeping beauty waking and unleashing the fists of fury on me. Asimov is always good for a mind trip though

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   

What if all the major religions started out with the same story and it slowly diverged from there.

You mean like when Noah left the ark?

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 01:16 AM
link   

I truly don't mean this in any demeaning fashion....

Matthew 7: 6-8
6 “Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and turn and tear you to pieces.

7 “Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you.

6's and 7's

what is 6+7....13, and what does that mean? oh wait.... 6's and 7's

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join