It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does the US need to feel hated?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I have seen many posts where the poster asks "Why do ... hates the US" or posts that say that "They hate us because ...".

I never met anyone who hates the US or the US citizens, but I do know many people who do not like the US politics, but they do not have any aggressive, jealous or revengeful feelings against the US citizens or against the US government.

Here in Portugal, when we had the revolution that ended 48 years of dictatorship, we receive the surprise visit of some very large war ships, "parked" just in front of Lisbon, when there was a possibility of a communist influence in the new government. Since then, many people do not like what the US does because they remember the presence of those war ships near our presidential palace and parliament.
So, I do understand that maybe in some countries where the US presence was violent, maybe some people do hate the US, but after all, those countries have today more or less good relations with the US.

In many third world countries, the majority of the population possibly does not even know that there is a country named United States of America.

So, my doubt is: why do so many US citizens (and foreigners) use the "hate"?

Is it because they feel the need of a enemy to justify the US government actions?

Is it because they really feel the hate from people who they never knew?

Is it because they really feel the hate from people they know?

This is a thing I do not understand, and I would like to know the opinion of other people.

Thanks.

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
So, my doubt is: why do so many US citizens (and foreigners) use the "hate"?

I use the word because of 2 experiences I had in France and the negativity I observe in foriegners on this board towards the US and it's people.

Is it because they feel the need of a enemy to justify the US government actions?

No.

Yes. I do not think that all people hate the US or it's people, but surely you have noticed the underlying anti-US sentiment on this board. Hell - you even used it in the above question when you say "to feel a need of an enemy to justify the US government actions." By saying this, you effectively said that the US government is not justified in it's actions and US citizens who support the US are wrong in doing this, and thus need to justify themselves.

Is it because they really feel the hate from people they know?

Not people I know - it's the people I don't know. A lot of people on this board are just blatently anti-US policy and thus, anyone who supports it is verbally assualted. Also, when I have been in Paris, I had two encounters with people talking # on America and americans in front of myself, my father, and our coworkers. It was obvious they did not expect us to know French because when we responded in their native tongue they shut the # up.

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 04:23 PM
link   
well, for starters, the word hate is often used out of context (guilty). it signifies a really really strong emotion, like love, which is also thrown around. its been dumbed down by overuse.

need to be hated? eh. not really in a stockholm kinda way, but, as a justification hate works real well. the second best way to get people to do something they dont want or thats bad for them is to make em think the other people hate em and want to hurt em (the best is when they actually do hurt them).

We, The People are notoriously ignorant. infamously so. ignorance breeds all sorts of things, hate and especially more ignorance. positive feedback is never a good recipe (other than birth) and when its tied to something like hate, well, ur really screwed.

in short, i think its a combo. americans are ignorant fools who cudnt care less about other countries, and other countries are sick of americas in-your-face self riteousness with no real moral backing.

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man

Originally posted by ArMaP

Yes. I do not think that all people hate the US or it's people, but surely you have noticed the underlying anti-US sentiment on this board. Hell - you even used it in the above question when you say "to feel a need of an enemy to justify the US government actions." By saying this, you effectively said that the US government is not justified in it's actions and US citizens who support the US are wrong in doing this, and thus need to justify themselves.

I did not use the option "to feel a need of an enemy to justify the US government actions." to say that the US government is not justified in its actions, I used that because was one of the reasons that come to my mind when I was thinking of reasons to say a phrase like "they hate us because ...".
Seeing that there are many US citizens that do not agree with the actions of the US government, I thought that one reason for the use of "hate" was the fact that those people did not agree with the government but for some reason needed a excuse.

Or maybe something in the back of my mind disturbed my attempt of neutrality.

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Hate, and it's cousin fear, are used to justify the presence of an overbearing, bloated and unnecessary government.
Convince the population that everyone hates you and is out to get you (e.g. terrorism) and that the government, with it's military and police, is your only protection.
Whatch the sheeple as they follow the government into oblivion.

Once more he stept into the street,
And to his lips again
Laid his long pipe of smooth straight cane;
Robert Browning

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 06:33 PM
link   
On this board, there has been plenty of hate instigators, and it's not all meant for the U.S. I've seen a lot of France-bashing and Muslim-bashing. All of it is bad - it perpetuates misunderstandings and does nothing to deny ignorance.

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 09:30 PM
link   
I don't think the vast majority of Americans are necessarily hated but Bush and his policies definitely are. A small majority of this country support him, while the rest in this country and the world pretty much hate him.

But Conservatives and specifically Neo-Cons could care less, they only concern themselves with forcing their view of the world down others throats. When you can't even get Pat Buchanan to support your policies in Iraq you've got some serious issues.

Lincoln has to be rolling over in his grave looking at what a war mongering, fear peddaling haven for idiots his party has become.

[edit on 15-9-2004 by Weller]

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 09:53 PM
link   
I think people wanted a reason for 911 happening. Was'nt it Bush who started the "they hate us and they're jealous" thing?
I don't hate anybody and I hope nobody hates me. If they do then they don't know me very well is all I can say.

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 09:59 PM
link   
I have travelled outside US a few times and NEVER has anyone been anything other than kind to me. I have heard they do not like the Bush administration. They dont like the policies, but I know first hand they do not hate us. Not yet. Unless we vote Bush in. My guess is if Bush gets precidency this time they will hate us for having voted(maybe) him in.

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 10:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Weller
I don't think the vast majority of Americans are necessarily hated but Bush and his policies definitely are. A small majority of this country support him, while the rest in this country and the world pretty much hate him.

But Conservatives and specifically Neo-Cons could care less, they only concern themselves with forcing their view of the world down others throats. When you can't even get Pat Buchanan to support your policies in Iraq you've got some serious issues.

Lincoln has to be rolling over in his grave looking at what a war mongering, fear peddaling haven for idiots his party has become.

LOL - Lincoln? The same president that started the Civil war AKA the war of northern agression? The same president who looked out for the interest of his country (the north) over peace at any cost? The same president that FORCED the south to live under his rule?

Surely you jest.

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man

LOL - Lincoln? The same president that started the Civil war AKA the war of northern agression? The same president who looked out for the interest of his country (the north) over peace at any cost? The same president that FORCED the south to live under his rule?

Surely you jest.

I don't put any creedence into the Southern reasoning or excuses for that war. They were traitors for trying to secede in my opinion. I'm not blaming the modern Southern region for their mistakes, but that generation decided to do what they did and paid dearly for it.

I'm from the South and have heard it all with regards to their arguments. It doesn't wash with me. And by the way, if you feel Lincoln was a war mongering loser then maybe you should actually read what he wrote regarding his decision to go to war in the first place. It wasn't an easy one. I respect your views but whole heartedly tell you that I surely do not jest my friend.

The South of that era believed in slavery and using slavery to maintain their system of economy at all costs. The fact that they would go to war to protect such a barbaric system trumps anything Lincoln ever did in going to war with them. I realize the war wasn't specifically started to end slavery, however, no man from the South would have had the bravery or even the very mental process needed to do the same under any circumstances.

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 11:33 PM
link   

When you can't even get Pat Buchanan to support your policies in Iraq you've got some serious issues.

aint that the truth. he was sounding positively charming and intelligent the other day on the daily show. somehow...

i think if rumsfeld wud get the difference between saddam hussein and osama bin laden correct, wed have better standings. oh well.

the party's changed a wee bit. the democrat were the slave owners, remember? they hated blacks, and black rights. now they dont own slaves, and they like black rights.

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 11:40 PM
link   
The U.S. has done many great things for this world.

The U.S. has done some bad things for this world.

No nation is perfect. However, you see, the reason some people think the U.S. is the "great satan" is because we are judges on our own morals and boundaries internationally.

Say Russia was the one in Iraq. They wouldn't care what the latest polls thought or whatnot. They would do what they wanted.

I think the U.S. needs to be a little more that way.

Now, the core reason alot of countries "hate" the U.S. because we are doing "evil" things, is not that at all.

They are jealous of what we have and what we can do. We can respond around the world within hours. We can provide food to other countries. We can financially back other countries. We can respond militarily within hours.

Many countries cannot do this. And this is the reason they hate us, not because "we are evil"

-wD

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 11:47 PM
link   
So now you are going to resort to insulting Lincoln, huh?

Wow. Just pathetic.

Guys, the South seceded from the Union and the Union was looking out for itself.

Lets just look at what might have happened if the Union had NOT gone to war.

There is no United States of America.

World War 1 rolls around - Sorry, no U.S. to help out.

World War 2 rolls around - Sorry, we are speaking german today because Nazi's took over the world because there was no U.S. to help save half the world.

The Cold War - Sorry, Soviet Union takes over the world because there is no U.S. around to convince the Russians to lay down arms.

Operation Iraqi Freedom - Sorry, the people of Iraq are still living under a dictator who rapes and electrecutes and burns and kills people for no good reason.

Sorry, the world is over by now.

Ya know what, people like you make me sick. How can you even begin to insult the Civil War? HOW CAN YOU? That is very low, indeed my friend.

So, if Lincoln would have chosen peace, we have two countries in this area, and Hitler took over the world because the U.S. wasn't there to stop most of his military.

-wD

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 11:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amorymeltzer
aint that the truth. he was sounding positively charming and intelligent the other day on the daily show. somehow...

Shocked me too. I respected the fact that he could put aside his loyalties and tell the truth.

i think if rumsfeld wud get the difference between saddam hussein and osama bin laden correct, wed have better standings. oh well.

Too late, they screwed up and they would rather go down with the ship than ever admit that they made a mistake. At this point its pure pride...at the cost of thousands of U.S. soldiers from both death and wounds suffered.

the party's changed a wee bit. the democrat were the slave owners, remember? they hated blacks, and black rights. now they dont own slaves, and they like black rights.

Funny how that happened huh?

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by WeBDeviL
So now you are going to resort to insulting Lincoln, huh?

Who are you directing this at? I was defending Lincoln. I'm a bit confused by your post.

new topics

top topics

join