It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poll Reveals Most Americans Don't Know They Got a Tax Cut

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 07:45 PM
link   
What !!!!

How could people not know this ?

State and Local taxes perhaps ?

I'm not sure Obama even understands this

February 12, 2010 1:18 PM -- CBS

Of all the very information that came out of the recent CBS News/New York Times poll, one question stuck out, that of taxes.

Here's the poll question: "In general, do you think the Obama Administration has increased taxes for most Americans, decreased taxes for most Americans or have they kept taxes the same for most Americans?"

The answer:
• 24 percent of respondents said they INCREASED taxes.
• 53 percent said they kept taxes the same
• And 12 percent said taxes were decreased.

Taxes up or down?

The article has several "explanations" ......

What Did We Miss ?

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Maybe because our health insurance went up so much that we didn't notice more take home pay each month?

DID our taxes go down? I actually won't know for sure until I do our 2011 taxes. For 2010, 2009, and 2008, we have had to write a check to the IRS (I sure miss the days of refunds.) So I'll reserve judgement until I see it in my tax return this year.

Personally, though, with the way Washington words things, I wouldn't believe it unless I could see it myself. For an example of how they mislead us-- the budget has an automatic increase across the board each year. If the automatic increase is 8% more than last year in a certain category, but they decide to only increase it 3% instead of the 8%, they are spending 3% MORE than last year, but they CALL it a spending "cut."

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 08:02 PM
link   
People didn't notice it because they didn't get it in lump sum like George Bushes 2 stimulus checks...remember those? I bet you do.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Every single day you hear conservative radio bitching because the lower 40 something percent isn't paying income taxes...you'd think people would put 2 and 2 together.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by David9176
People didn't notice it because they didn't get it in lump sum like George Bushes 2 stimulus checks...remember those? I bet you do.

They remember the big numbers of course !

The small tax decrease on a weekly check is nominal.

Almost like a reverse boiling frog.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 08:20 PM
link   
I've often wondered, how many people who listen to conservative radio are actually in that bottom 40 percent group...and do they actually support the Republican party when they want to raise their taxes...all the while the multimillionaire who is talking to them is complaining he already pays too much?

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I'll do a Clinton and say, "It depends on what 'taxes' means." And that's a fact. Your income taxes did not go down at all. The rates remain the same, indexed for inflation. So when people say their taxes did not go down at all, they are absoutely correct because they are assuming that "taxes" means "income taxes."

What Obama did is lower what you pay into the social security fund (FICA) by a couple of percent, from 7.65% to 5.65%, which results in a net increase in your take home pay by 2% (Duh!). Your employer pays the same rate of 7.65% regardless. But remember that social security is going bankrupt, so effectively he just shortened the time we have before it does, not a particularly smart move, in my opinion, and one that will require a fix before too many more years when Obama is not President any longer. When Obama says, "I cut taxes," he means he temporarily cut FICA contributions, which are credited to your account, not income taxes. Social Security used to send you a yearly accounting of this, showing the credits you had earned and what you had paid in, but they axed this in a "cost saving move."

The "Bush tax cuts," on the other hand, are real cuts to the income tax, and after a fight in Congress, they will remain in place for awhile longer. When they are allowed to "expire" you will see a real tax increase, which will be spun as not a real increase at all, but just an expiration of a previous temporary cut.

Just as a little side bonus, 97% of Americans pay LESS tax (income tax) that Mitt Romney. The release of Mitt Romney's tax returns, which indicate that he paid an average tax rate of 14 percent after deductions, has once again prompted a great deal of confusion over marginal and average tax rates. For a moment, let's set aside the issue that most of Mr. Romney's income is in the form of capital gains and dividends, which are taxed at 15 percent rather than at the highest marginal rate of 35 percent, and look at the difference between marginal and average (or effective) tax rates.

The reason is because we pay 10% on the first $17,000 of income, 15% on the income between $17,000 and $69,000, and 25% from $69,000 to $139,350, etc until we get to 35% for anything above $379,150. (These are all for MFJ: married filing jointly.) So when you add all that up, do all the deductions for personal exemptions and whatnot, you pay tax on a lot less than you actually make. And the average overall rate is: 11%. Also bear in mind that 47% of American households pay zero income tax at all. The 11% is for the half of the country that actually pays income taxes.

So you (the generic you) pay 11%. Romney pays 14%, and I paid 17% last year because I had zero capital gains, but I had to pay taxes on my social security payments, half of which I already paid taxes on, so it's double taxation. In fact, here's a list updated 2010, so it's probably for 2009: AGI=Adjusted Gross income.

100%: 139,960,580 returns paid taxes of $1,031,512mil for 100% AGI for 100% of taxes
Top 1%: 1,399,606 returns paid $392,149mil for 20.70% AGI for 38.02% of taxes
Top 5%: 6,998,029 returns paid $213,569mil for 34.73% AGI for 58.72% share
Top 10%: 13,996,068 returns paid $721,421mil for 45.77% AGI for 69.94% of taxes
Top 25%: 34,990,145 returns paid $890,614mil for 67.38% AGI for 86.34% of taxes
Top 50%: 69,980,290 returns paid $1,003,639mil for 87.25% AGI for 97.30% of taxes
Bottom 50%: 69,980,290 returns paid $27,783 mil for 12.75% AGI for 2.59% of taxes.

So much for the "1%" which is slightly over a million returns anyway. I'm more concerned for the top 10%, who paid almost 70% of the taxes. And you want more? No.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 08:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by GeorgiaGirl
Maybe because our health insurance went up so much that we didn't notice more take home pay each month?

DID our taxes go down? I actually won't know for sure until I do our 2011 taxes. For 2010, 2009, and 2008, we have had to write a check to the IRS (I sure miss the days of refunds.) So I'll reserve judgement until I see it in my tax return this year.

Personally, though, with the way Washington words things, I wouldn't believe it unless I could see it myself. For an example of how they mislead us-- the budget has an automatic increase across the board each year. If the automatic increase is 8% more than last year in a certain category, but they decide to only increase it 3% instead of the 8%, they are spending 3% MORE than last year, but they CALL it a spending "cut."

they went up no "making work pay credit" 400$ among others
edit on 3-2-2012 by jlafleur02 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

I agree with ya. And i just filed my own taxes and i make in the "work every day" range and i paid about...
10%-12%. But that's federal. Not including State, Social and Medicare. In all, about 17% was takin outta my check, i did the math.

Romney filled his taxes the honest way. There are charitable donations and the like that can be used to lower your tax base. Go Romney!

Minus what i get in tax returns.. about 11%-12% sounds about right.
edit on 3-2-2012 by cenpuppie because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
This is because the Right-wing conservative talking-.s (funded HANDSOMELY by the wealthy) have been screaming from the roof tops LYING to their listeners about Obama on every issue, while the idiot cult listeners go out and PARROT all of their LIES to everyone like BROKEN RECORDS.

Idiot parrots spewing lies like usual. What do you expect from the CONservatives?

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 09:58 PM
link   
In Calif the feds may have cut taxes.
But the state increased state taxes three time the amount.

The state of Calif knows that the state can get away with it every time.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

What Did We Miss ?

You missed the actual news reports and actual reality based analysis.

Glad to see that you have started your withdrawal from your addiction to Faux News and the other RWNJ press.

new topics

top topics

join