It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Can’t Take It Anymore! When Will The Government Quit Putting Out Fraudulent Employment Statistic

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 06:30 PM
link   
This is from the economic collapse blog, but I think they do a pretty good job in citing sources and references. Even the official BLS Report shows how, among other things, the UE rate is declining due to a rapidly decreasing labor force participation rate. The 8.3 per cent figure would otherwise be significantly higher. Of course Obama and all will benefit from these headline figures that MSM et al are having a mass hopium orgy over.

Cited only in part, see more at link:

Sou rce

On Friday, the entire financial world celebrated when it was announced that the unemployment rate in the United States had fallen to 8.3 percent. That is the lowest it has been since February 2009, and it came as an unexpected surprise for financial markets that are hungry for some good news. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, nonfarm payrolls jumped by 243,000 during the month of January. You can read the full employment report right here. Based on this news, pundits all over the world were declaring that the U.S. economy is back. Stocks continued to rise on Friday and the Dow is hovering near a 4 year high. So does this mean that our economic problems are over? Of course not. A closer look at the numbers reveals just how fraudulent these employment statistics really are. Between December 2011 and January 2012, the number of Americans "not in the labor force" increased by a whopping 1.2 million. That was the largest increase ever in that category for a single month. That is how the federal government is getting the unemployment rate to go down. The government is simply pretending that huge numbers of unemployed Americans don't want to be part of the labor force anymore. As you will see below, the employment situation in America is not improving. Yet everyone in the mainstream media is dancing around as if the economic crisis has been cancelled. I can't take it anymore! It is beyond ridiculous that so many intelligent people continue to buy in to such fraudulent numbers.

The truth is that the labor force participation rate declined dramatically in January. For those unfamiliar with this statistic, the labor force participation rate is the percentage of working age Americans that are either employed or that are unemployed and considered to be looking for a job.

As you can see from the chart posted below, the labor force participation rate rose steadily between 1970 and 2000. That happened because large numbers of women were entering the labor force for the first time.

The labor force participation rate peaked at a little more then 67 percent in the late 90s. Between 2000 and the start of the recent recession, it declined slightly to about 66 percent.

Since then, it has been dropping like a rock. The chart below does not even include the latest data. In January, the labor force participation rate was only 63.7 percent. That is the lowest that is has been since May 1983. So keep that in mind as you view the chart.

In reality, the percentage of men and women in the United States that would like to have jobs is almost certainly about the same as it was back in 2007 or 2008. There has been no major social change that would cause large numbers of men or women to want to give up their careers. So there is something very, very fishy with this chart....

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by surrealist

This is from the economic collapse blog, but I think they do a pretty good job in citing sources and references. Even the official BLS Report shows how, among other things, the UE rate is declining due to a rapidly decreasing labor force participation rate. The 8.3 per cent figure would otherwise be significantly higher. Of course Obama and all will benefit from these headline figures that MSM et al are having a mass hopium orgy over.

Well, if they haven't quit putting out "fraudulent" numbers by now, they probably won't, and it has nothing to do with Obama. I remember in the 1980's people talking about the difference between the real unemployment rate (including those not working that aren't receiving unemployment insurance anymore) and the reported rate. In other words, this type of disingenuous reporting of the statistic has been going on for a long time.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Totally bogus way they do it.

If you are unemployed and fall off the rolls, the unemployment rate goes down?

So it looks like we have an 8.3% unemployment rate and it only took 5 TRILLION DOLLARS to get us there.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 06:37 PM
link   
They will be announcing that chocolate rations have been raised from 30 grams to 20 grams soon.

I agree. Lies from the Ministry of Truth.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by surrealist

Cited only in part, see more at link:

Sou rce

On Friday, the entire financial world celebrated when it was announced that the unemployment rate in the United States had fallen to 8.3 percent. That is the lowest it has been since February 2009, and it came as an unexpected surprise for financial markets that are hungry for some good news. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, nonfarm payrolls jumped by 243,000 during the month of January. You can read the full employment report right here. Based on this news, pundits all over the world were declaring that the U.S. economy is back. Stocks continued to rise on Friday and the Dow is hovering near a 4 year high. So does this mean that our economic problems are over? Of course not. A closer look at the numbers reveals just how fraudulent these employment statistics really are. Between December 2011 and January 2012, the number of Americans "not in the labor force" increased by a whopping 1.2 million. That was the largest increase ever in that category for a single month. That is how the federal government is getting the unemployment rate to go down. The government is simply pretending that huge numbers of unemployed Americans don't want to be part of the labor force anymore. As you will see below, the employment situation in America is not improving. Yet everyone in the mainstream media is dancing around as if the economic crisis has been cancelled. I can't take it anymore! It is beyond ridiculous that so many intelligent people continue to buy in to such fraudulent numbers.

The truth is that the labor force participation rate declined dramatically in January. For those unfamiliar with this statistic, the labor force participation rate is the percentage of working age Americans that are either employed or that are unemployed and considered to be looking for a job.

As you can see from the chart posted below, the labor force participation rate rose steadily between 1970 and 2000. That happened because large numbers of women were entering the labor force for the first time.

The labor force participation rate peaked at a little more then 67 percent in the late 90s. Between 2000 and the start of the recent recession, it declined slightly to about 66 percent.

Since then, it has been dropping like a rock. The chart below does not even include the latest data. In January, the labor force participation rate was only 63.7 percent. That is the lowest that is has been since May 1983. So keep that in mind as you view the chart.

In reality, the percentage of men and women in the United States that would like to have jobs is almost certainly about the same as it was back in 2007 or 2008. There has been no major social change that would cause large numbers of men or women to want to give up their careers. So there is something very, very fishy with this chart....

The only unemployment stats that I trust come from John Williams and www.shadowstats.com

www.shadowstats.com

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   

After the election, of course.
We are all supposed to put on our rose colored glasses and re-elect Mr. Obama
Everything is fine.....go back to sleep....

I hate an election year.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I know it has been driving me bonkers for years. Everyone I talk to says the same. So who is actually believing this stuff? Obama and his staff. The keep lying to themselves and figure eventually it will be true. Their blatant lies are agitating. Bunch of lying aholes.

I applied for a job for an Admin Assist. On the day the job posted Career Builder sent me a confidence boosting email that said so far 384 people applied to the same job. In one day mind you. It been a week I should go and see what the numbers are at now. So yeah everything is fine here!

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I'm employed but I get 6 hours a week. If he calls that employment he needs a reality check.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Yeah, it's gotten completely ridiculous.

They put out a report saying that 367,000 initial unemployment claims were filed last week, then not even 24 hrs. later they say they added 250,000 jobs? how does that work? who does their math?

It's mind bottling.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Same topic

Already posted but yeah .. it pisses me off too. The bastards.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Having posted this I don't want to suggest the numbers have been fudged or that misrepresenting the data is anything unique to the current administration or whatever, but to highlight how the data below the surface is not showing the true employment situation. I think the big thing here is the labor force participation rate being so low, even compared historically. Mix them back into the equation and the 8.3 per cent would rise significantly.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
The problem is that Government are not interested in the number of people unemployed and looking for work they are just interested in the number of people eligible for benefits.

Its not right because we as taxpayers and citizens want to know how many people have not got a job who want one because it tells us how well the government is doing. Governments do not want to be judged like that.

So the problem is the unemployment figures do not tell us how many people are unemployed. Its a joke.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
The stock market is going vertical for weeks why cant u be happy

Its 1999 again

top topics

join