It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vostok Resources and Latest Updates

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
it looks like this is a hot topic and for good reasons. However, since its such a hot topic its hard to keep up with the latest information on the threads do to all the comments and pages. Things keep getting re-posted and rehashed or overlooked. So I would like to create this thread where only informational links are posted in regards to the latest news about Vostok or other interesting information relating about Vostok.

So no speculation,theories as what you think is going on, or comments without news updates. Not that there is anything wrong with that , but that is not the intention of this thread and we have other threads for that. The intention of this thread is to create a place to easily get the latest updates in regards to lake Vostok.

I will start it:
Here is a good video about Vostok to get started:
www.youtube.com...

Here is the latest news that I have found:
Fox Flub: Russian Vostok Lake Scientists Safe:
www.usnews.com...

"I can assure you that they are not lost or out of contact," he wrote in an email. "I never said the Russians were lost."

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Thanks for posting this thread! I'm excited about following this! Hurry up with that drilling!! I'm ready to find out about the extremophiles! Can you imagine?

edit on 2/3/12 by FibroKat because: added more

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   
sorry, s and f it is
edit on 3-2-2012 by doubledutch because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   
LOL, thanks for the comments but please only post links to updates or information on VOSTOK so when we see a reply count go up we can easily see new information is available.

If you want to say thanks just give me a star and flag. I'm new so I don't have many.

Here are some photos of the station but hasn't been updated for a while:
Photos taken during 45/46 RAE change of annual staff at Vostok station (28-29.01.2001) and at MacMurdo station (01.02.2001):
www.aari.ru...

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   

edit on 2/3/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 11:30 PM
link   
S&F!

Great work mate, keep it up!

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 04:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by FibroKat
Thanks for posting this thread! I'm excited about following this! Hurry up with that drilling!! I'm ready to find out about the extremophiles! Can you imagine?

edit on 2/3/12 by FibroKat because: added more

Drilling is precisely what they can't do entirely through the ice. Oil and any other contaminents from the surface will taint what has been an hermetically sealed environment for millenia; instantly compromising the value of any scientific research down there.

The only reason we know Vostok is there for sure is due to surface explosions where soundwaves refract at the juncture between ice and water. That's enough damage for know, wouldn't you say. Meanwhile, the scientists are brainstorming alternative methods and technology to explore the lake.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 05:15 AM
link   
any updates yet? they seem very close, but have they made contact yet? like the drill making it to the bottom?

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 07:06 AM
link   
reply to post by interupt42

I've seen the movie "The Thing" so I know just what to expect. When Jim Arness walks among us and the penguins again, don't say I didn't warn you.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aleister

I've seen the movie "The Thing" so I know just what to expect. When Jim Arness walks among us and the penguins again, don't say I didn't warn you.

really creepy, and very possible.

we really don't lalalaing know whats down there..........

what if good stuff comes up? like really friendly germs that are nice and cure all diseases?

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Aww... you just know phage said something interesting... now it's gone, only guy on here who can get stars with a blank comment. lol.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Is anyone else disappointed their not lost?
It was so much more exciting thinking that maybe the lake had blown up or they had released Godzilla and hed gone bat droppings crazy and eaten them all

Now instead of massive monsters were gonna have to hear about tiny crustaceans *sigh*
edit on 4-2-2012 by IkNOwSTuff because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Guys and Gals, please note the original OP. This is not a thread to discuss or comment on the topic ,but just a place to post the latest updates . This will make it easier than going through a bunch of comments on the many threads available to discuss the topic.

Feel free to copy the links from here into other threads if you would like to discuss or comment on the update.
such as:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

From the following statement in Spanish it looks like they are drilling into distinct points where its estimated that the water line is.

En la actualidad, agregó Danilov. están perforando en distintos puntos de lo que se estima sería la costa del agua del lago Vostok, el mayor lago subglacial de la Antártica

Original Text in Spanish
www.lagranepoca.com...

Translated to English:
translate.google.com... queda-agua-dulce-lago-vostok
edit on 4-2-2012 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-2-2012 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   

This is an add not really update but if it was not already included on the info here...why are these millionaires on a ship in Antarctica?
I would assume there is video streaming to the national geo ship they are on at the very least. More news on this would be nice.

arcticportal.org...

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
I hope those scientists are ok. There could be literally anything under that ice.

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadesofGrey78
I hope those scientists are ok. There could be literally anything under that ice.

i know right? what if ALL the water in lake vostok is pure deuterium? (heavy water)

and what if the pressure from the drill creates a neutron and it gets into the deut and the whole lake blows up?

someone's gunna have to !reset pressure/!reset velocity and !reset temp or we are all doomed...

all the bubw and ln2 in the world wouldn't cool that down.

( lol jk, anyone that gets this reference is probably laughing so hard by now )

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 06:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Catesby

this is what i was thinking,,, so why haven't they used high pressure hot water to 'drill' through??

any ideas??

posted on Feb, 6 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   
It looks like they have penetrated the water line and will return in the summer to perform the analysis.

The researchers will then return during the next Antarctic summer to remove the frozen water for analysis."
www.globalpost.com...

Now that drilling has reached the lake, enough of the kerosene that keeps the two and a half mile hole from freezing has been extracted for the water to naturally rise a bit up the hole. That water will then be left to freeze over the winter, and extracted when scientists return next season. This ice plug method will allow scientists to analyze Vostok's water without risking contaminating the lake.
gizmodo.com...

The thermal drill head will be fitted with a camera. They are able to drill around four meters a day.
www.physorg.com...

This is not a thread to discuss or comment on the topic ,but just a place to post the latest updates. If possible can a MOD delete the posts listed above that have no links to additional information about Vostok. Thanks

Please post your comments at the following thread:

edit on 6-2-2012 by interupt42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 04:03 AM
link   

so basically they said, lets open the hole up and then go off somewhere.

way to leave the fridge open all night scientists!

the foods gunna go bad!

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 08:31 AM
link   
They hit water but they are trying to confirm it was not a pocket of water from above the lake.

the lake has been breached, but the team are now checking the level of water in the borehole and readings from pressure sensors to confirm that the water did come from the lake and not a pocket of water in the ice above the lake. Ice temperatures rise as you go deeper into the ice sheet, and approach melting point just above the lake, so the fact that the team hit liquid water doesn't necessarily mean they've reached the lake.

"For the time being we are waiting for official confirmation," said the spokesperson. An announcement is expected within the next two days.

www.newscientist.com...

This is not a thread to discuss or comment on the topic ,but just a place to post the latest updates. If possible can a MOD delete the posts listed above that have no links to additional information about Vostok. Thanks

Please post your comments at the following thread:

top topics

<<   2 >>

join