It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's A Cartoon People - Get Real !!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Slurs in 'Shark Tale'? Studio says no

LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- DreamWorks SKG Tuesday defended its upcoming animated film "Shark Tale" against mounting criticism from Italian-American groups who say the movie's gangster-like Shark characters foster ethnic stereotypes.

Studio spokesman Andy Spahn said the emphasis of the film's humor was on pop culture and Hollywood parodies, similar to DreamWorks' hit storybook satires "Shrek" and "Shrek 2."

"It's a family comedy that pokes fun at a number of film genres," Spahn told Reuters. "It doesn't demean anyone, there are no negative stereotypes. There is nothing mean-spirited in the film."

www.cnn.com... x.html

The movie centers on a boastful tropical fish named Oscar (voiced by Will Smith) who is hailed as a hero of the reef but finds himself in hot water after he pretends to have slain the son of the godfather of great white sharks, Don Lino, voiced by Robert De Niro.

"The movie introduces young minds to the idea that people with Italian names -- like millions of Americans across the country -- are gangsters," Columbus Citizens president Lawrence Auriana said in a statement.

He also accused DreamWorks co-founder Steven Spielberg of "being hypocritical" for supporting the film's creation despite his high-profile association with causes dedicated to fighting racial and ethnic prejudice.

ITs a cartoon !!!! Just take it as such and enjoy it .........

[edit on 15-9-2004 by John bull 1]

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 02:51 PM
link   
These same people are the ones that take offense to The Soprano's also aren't they? My boyfriend is Italian and he LOVES the Soprano's.....Just like you said....It's a cartoon, get over it.

What are they suppossed to do? Have the maffia boss (shark) be an Irish sounding guy? Gheesh..... I don't see De Niro (an Italian) getting upset about this.

Edit: to spell De Niro right.

[edit on 15-9-2004 by MacMerdin]

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I get so very, very sick of all this childish crap! I am half Native American and half Italian, my grandparents on my father's side, Italian, came from Italy, they get all up in arms over such silliness,. There is so many more important things to be concerned about other than NA portrayed on sports teams, or Italians portrayed as gangsters, or the Japanese with cameras...it all just silly, I think some people have to much time on their hands, and not enough life.......

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
Slurs in 'Shark Tale'? Studio says no

LOS ANGELES, California (Reuters) -- DreamWorks SKG Tuesday defended its upcoming animated film "Shark Tale" against mounting criticism from Italian-American groups who say the movie's gangster-like Shark characters foster ethnic stereotypes.

and the godfather movies didnt?

posted on Sep, 21 2004 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Just a movie, people need to stop being so oversenseitive over such things.

It does'nt bother me and I'm pretty much Italian with some Polish,Lithuanian and Welsh thrown it. Italians have been gangsters in great films, its not a lie that the Mafia exists.

top topics

join