It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Libyan diplomat was tortured, died in detention, rights group says

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Libyan diplomat was tortured, died in detention, rights group says

www.cnn.com

(CNN) -- A Libyan diplomat died 24 hours after he was detained by a militia based in the city of Zintan, Human Rights Watch said.

The French Foreign Ministry confirmed Omar Brebesh's death in prison, though it did not have any information as to the circumstances. The ministry said Brebesh, 62, had served as the charge d'affairs in France from 2004 to 2008.

CNN's attempts to reach Libyan officials were not immediately successful. However, Libya's ambassador to the United Nations, Mohammed Shalgham, told the United Nations this month that Libya does not approve of any abuse and was wor
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   
These people are insane. I am having a really hard time believing any the negative propaganda that was produced against the Gaddahfi regime.
The thing that is so disturbing about this incident is that this type of torturing is happening all over Libya. People are scared to even talk about this in interviews. This is nuts.
And to think this guy had his son bring him in for voluntary interrogation. They even gave his son tea as if they(rebels, police officials, whoever) were good upstanding by the book men. The Libyan War is far from over. If stuff like this keeps happening...Libya will begin to look like Liberia because the orphaned, widowed, and betrayed will inevitably form revenge militia groups.
Sad.

www.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 3-2-2012 by iamusic because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
If you saw the video of Gaddafi's capture, immediate torture, you'd know that they are animals over there. Just barbaric animals.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
We can sit and debate the legitimacy of attacking Libya all we want to, the point I want to make is this:

If we made the decision to attack, we should have backed it up with ground forces to prevent this type of hysteria from filling the power vacuum.

If we were concerned about being the good guys, that is. Sure - we'd catch crap from people claiming we were empire-building and "in it for oil" (since any country with more than five cubic feet of sand must have oil in it, apparently) - but at least you wouldn't have such a cluster #.

Obama's decision to call the strike... followed by what amounts to nearly a media black-out on the aftermath... is just eerie to me. I know the media has a short memory and goes for sensationalism... but you would think there would be a higher demand for news regarding the country we randomly decided to start blowing up. Or do people just believe it's all rainbows and unicorns over there, and see no reason to wonder about the outcome of the rebellion?

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   
reply to Gandalph

Yes I finally brought myself to watch it about 2 to 3 weeks ago. It was truly sad and ridiculous.

reply to post by Aim64C

Yea it really has gotten messy and is getting a little messier. Even the former vice chairman allegedly was beaten and left in a pool of his own blood. Everyone seems to be in rebel uniform yet there is a Green resistance. I wonder how any of those militia groups can tell a green resistance group from a reg rebel group as I'm sure no soldier in their right mind is wearing the green flag at this time.

edit on 3-2-2012 by iamusic because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-2-2012 by iamusic because: abdel-hafiz-ghoga

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by iamusic

Hopefully the Libyan fiasco will serve as a warning to alert world citizens everywhere. The illegal invasion and corruption of a country's government due to external forces. NATO deserves to be disbanded imho.

edit on 3/2/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Correction

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightSpeedDriver
reply to post by iamusic

Hopefully the Libyan fiasco will serve as a warning to alert world citizens everywhere. The illegal invasion and corruption of a country's government due to external forces. NATO deserves to be disbanded imho.

edit on 3/2/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Correction

So true. How is it that NATO forces went in to Libya to free people of their oppressive regime when all the people have seen since is mass death, rape, torture, and mayhem? Perhaps the West should stop trying to impose their ideologies on other people.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
This is so sad.
I wanted to download this video and upload it to youtube but I am unable to.
Video of Info of the interview with of the son.

new topics

top topics

join