It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anonymous' hackers intercept conversation between FBI and Scotland Yard on how to deal with hackers

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Anonymous' hackers intercept conversation between FBI and Scotland Yard on how to deal with hackers

www.telegraph.co.uk

A conference call between Scotland Yard and the FBI has been intercepted and published by a member of the computer hacking group Anonymous.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.bbc.co.uk
www.huffingtonpost.co.uk
www.thesun.co.uk

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
'This is just the beginning': Hacking group Anonymous takes over Greek Ministry of Justice website

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Seems strange to me how a group of hackers, can hack into a phone conversation, eves dropping is far harder than than gaining access to a website.

However it appears that ANON did it by accessing a FBI agents e-mail which had the details of the phone conference and managed to use those details to access it.

Recently Anon have stepped up their profile, and being very aggressive, the fact they have released teh full recording of a phone conference between Scotland Yard and the FBI, a conference over hacking no less, shows how far they are prepared to go.

I have mixed feelings about Anon, as a group they have no identity, for obvious protective reasons, but it also makes it highly possible, and highly probably that attacks and events can happen in their name without them being involved.

I admire the fight against tyranny and fighting to protect our freedoms, when that is the true purpose of what is being done. I don't buy into this cowardly approach a lot of people taking, saying they should do nothing because it makes the situation worse, what really makes things worse is people being too afraid to speak out, to make a stand, it is only when people stand up to a bully he goes away, if you keep on taking the daily beatings they just get worse.

Thoughts people?

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
People on ATS should start taking Anonymous seriously

just a friendly advice

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 01:49 PM
link   
This doesnt make a whole lot of sense to me. So they found a way to hack into a private conference call between Scotland yard and the FBI but instead of keeping it quiet and staying one step ahead of any investigations against their antisec movement they go and advertise the fact by uploading the whole conversation to youtube

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnonyWarp

just a friendly advice

Its tooo late, notice the crawlers since the last incident that linked this site to a sociopath.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD
This doesnt make a whole lot of sense to me. So they found a way to hack into a private conference call between Scotland yard and the FBI but instead of keeping it quiet and staying one step ahead of any investigations against their antisec movement they go and advertise the fact by uploading the whole conversation to youtube

I am only guessing here, but you simply do not find out how to listen in on encrypted coms. this isn't a " Tapping for Dummies" situtation that you can also find at your local book store. This is a test bed and more or less flexing the muscle to show that its not only about ddos attack as some ats member has posted in a previous thread.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Not worried about them in the least.
Far from it actually.

just a friendly advice

No really. I'm not impressed.
Just stating the truth.

This story seems fishy to me.
How do they know if they haven't been setup? This seems like a perfect way to do it.

Sat tuned.

I think as time goes by more shall be revealed.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by cerebralassassins

It could be that a system like that is just not hackable in the first place. You either have the codes to connect to the system or you dont. Its very likely the codes change for every conference made. If this is the case there are only a few possibilities here.

- They came across the code to enter the conversation one time and have no access to any more codes.

- Scotland yard or the FBI put the call out to make it look like the anti sec movement is more advanced than they really are so they can crack down on them harder.

I find it strange that they bleeped out the names of the people in the conversations. If the police already know who they are whats the point?

I dont believe they can hack these types of conference calls at will or they would have just kept quite about it and used the info to stay one step ahead of the authorities that are investigating them. They are either trying to lie about their capabilities or they are being setup. Either way something not right here.

edit on 3-2-2012 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
People absolutely adore Anon. They'll love them even more when they take down the internet.

Three cheers for stupidity!

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by satron
People absolutely adore Anon. They'll love them even more when they take down the internet.

Three cheers for stupidity!

You see this is what I call cowardly, governments erode your rights, they take away your freedoms, they wish to elicit more and more control of you, and you curse the ones trying to at least fight against it, if people don't make a stand, if people don't stand up and say "hey, this is wrong" then they will continue to erode those rights, and people will be passive and say nothing.

I am not all for Anon, simply because they have no real face or voice, so none of their actions can be verified as being initiated by them, I could hack you e-mail and claim it was an anon action, even though it wasn't, Anon needs a public face, an outlet that states this was an official (I use the word loosely) action by anon, anyone can make an anon video, me included, but I still wont curse the ones who are fighting in my name

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD
reply to post by cerebralassassins

It could be that a system like that is just not hackable in the first place. You either have the codes to connect to the system or you dont. Its very likely the codes change for every conference made. If this is the case there are only a few possibilities here.

Again ill stress, you simply cannot by chance come across such codes and add to that, the time of day that such a meeting was held. Its not like both of them speak everyday and talk about such activists. See were im going with this..? As slayer pointed out, or should i say, lets raise the flag and see who salutes .....

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
i dunno what to think about these guys, i mean they seem to be able to do pretty much whatever they like hacking wise, and nobody can stop them.
good job they are not evil villain masterminds!! or are they????

the thing is now, there is nothing stopping the government or whoever putting things in the media, and blaming ANON, when maybe they havent done it? just to criminalise them or make them out to be more dangerous to the public than maybe they are...

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   

just a friendly advice

Yeah and they think anyone who believes in UFO's is an idiot...

Sorry but I find it hard to take them seriously with crap like that

edit on 3-2-2012 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by 2012king
i dunno what to think about these guys, i mean they seem to be able to do pretty much whatever they like hacking wise, and nobody can stop them.
good job they are not evil villain masterminds!! or are they????

the thing is now, there is nothing stopping the government or whoever putting things in the media, and blaming ANON, when maybe they havent done it? just to criminalise them or make them out to be more dangerous to the public than maybe they are...

Blaming ANON is simply like blaming the global internet community, oh wait, wasn't that the primary objective, to control, monitor the global internet. ?

There are no lights switched on in this world we as cyber civilians are living in and it wont get any better, until it gets worse. Nothing, i mean nothing, has been or will be done from a spontaneous reaction as a response from the organization who demands faster acceptance of digital laws who secondary objective is to profile the thought patterns of internet users.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   
So these guys managed to hack into an unencrypted conference call hosted by a third party. I've used these things. You use a public number and have an entrance code. It's very handy. If anon got a hold of one guy's email on time & number the "hack," if you can really even call it that, was easy. Getting the email itself is a bigger deal than "hacking" into this call. It could have been done with a little "social engineering." There is no real evidence that actual hacking in terms of code breaking, zero day exploits, or other technical issues are involved at all.

So anon makes all this public. So what do you think is going to happen now? Any guesses?

My guess is that's the end of the easy unencrypted conference calls. There will also be an investigation of the email issue and changes there. These guys did not think they were vulnerable, so anon just whacked them up side the head. Anon now has their full and undivided attention. Congrats.

If anon wanted to establish a secret back door into FBI ops, they just blew it. That begs the question, of course. Why did they make this public? If it was to brag on themselves, they were stupid. If they intended to alert the FBI and Scotland Yard that they needed to tighten their security procedures, they succeeded.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
It's not that I don't take the real Anon seriously, I just have a hard time believing it is actually them any more. So much they have done recently that seems waaaay too fishy to me. It is all perfect false flags to have the government crack down on the internet. And since anyone can technically be anonymous, it would be fitting that the government actually did these crimes themselves as an attempt to usher in SOPA and the like.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

Hacking the email gives you access to lots of info that the email users never suspect could be used. Conference call numbers and passcodes get put into email, Outlook meeting invitations, etc. I'm surprised more people haven't done it. You don't even need to be a hacker... You just need to find one lazy government employee who leaves his email open on a table at Starbucks while taking a bathroom break.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by TopDogCynic
reply to post by schuyler

Hacking the email gives you access to lots of info that the email users never suspect could be used. Conference call numbers and passcodes get put into email, Outlook meeting invitations, etc. I'm surprised more people haven't done it. You don't even need to be a hacker... You just need to find one lazy government employee who leaves his email open on a table at Starbucks while taking a bathroom break.

That's what "social engineering" means.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
The thing you dont understand is:

The technical aspect dont really matter

What is really important is the finallity

But anyway, lots of people keep saying Anonymous is a bunch of harmless kids

Nothing worse than those who dont want to see

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   

just a friendly advice

Scary bro.

Let me know when they do something that matters
edit on 3-2-2012 by apodictic because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join