It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook going to Wallstreet... will this change OWS's tactics?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I want to hear the pro-OWSers on this.. PLEASE try and justify it for me...

Facebook is going Wall street.

OWS organizes on wall street (check the event pages and Fan pages for proof)

Does that mean that OWS is part of wall street now? Will you continue to use FB for OWS stuff? If so, isn't that hypocritical? Shouldn't you just all delete the pages and stuff and go to like.... Foursquare?

Just a question! Thought other people might be asking

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Occupy Wallstreet does not simply use only Facebook. Occupy Wallstreet also uses Reddit, which was owned by Conde Nast last year, Conde Nast Publications was a fairly large publishing company.

Occupy Wallstreet is about occupying commercial space to air grievances over how we are organizing against them. Facebook would have to kick off the pro-OWS stuff, not the OWS crowd leaving facebook.

Sometimes I don't think people here understand why they occupy commercial space at all, let alone push them off the digital space that is used for commercial purposes.

We don't liberate facebook by being on there, we occupy it.

www.reddit.com...

I don't think you understand what you're suggesting, it's basically defeatism.

"Oh now, facebook is on wallstreet now, guess I'll have to use foursquare instead, don't want to step on any toes now!"

edit on 3-2-2012 by Sachyriel because: add link to Reddit

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
If I kill a Nazi with a Luger does that make me a hypocrite. The logic in your op is, for lack of a better word, dumb.

A tool for spreading information is a tool for spreading information. The fact that Facebook is a part of the problem makes it all the more beautiful, after all, what's more poetic than a Samurai being killed with his own sword?

edit on 3-2-2012 by FugitiveSoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 11:25 AM
link   
yes but by occupying Facebook you are giving them money...

unlike when you loiter in real life you are taking away from their value...

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Facebook only profits from advertisers and those bull$h!t games people like to play. As a user, I pay them nothing. Not a cent.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by FugitiveSoul

now that its a public company... TRAFFIC, as in WEB TRAFFIC will account towards their money and investments...

So you are in deed helping them by going and posting... Communities need posts and traffic.. no matter how against them they are...

You are helping by posting

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Let me try this another way:

If I go to the local hardware store and buy 20,000 dollars worth of lumber, tools, pavers, and hardware, I'm indeed helping their business. I mean, come on... I've just given them 20 grand, right? How can that hurt them?

Now if I take that equipment out into the parking lot and turn that lumber, tools, pavers, and hardware into a trebuchet, and begin hurling large pavers at their store until there's nothing left but rubble and bodies, have I really helped them out?

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   

alright... so what you are saying is now you are going to stay on facebook to fufill some sort of crime???

come on... just give me a real answer

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
reply to post by DrNotforhire

It's not a crime, I'm using facebook, twitter, and blog space as a means of spreading info. You wouldn't believe how many people have no idea what's really going on in this world. They go on Facebook and talk about their children, going to the movies, who said what about who, yada yada yada. My facebook is used for a different purpose. Many of my friends and acquaintances have gone on to begin research of their own from my posts and have begun making posts of their own. This system for spreading info is working, and it works far faster on Facebook and Twitter than it does via blogs or sites like ATS.
Why wouldn't someone use it? It's the best weapon we have.... until they start to police it, which is inevitable.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Im just calling it hypocritical ... You are against Wallstreet and the big corporations yet... post on a site that is going to be a HUGE corporation...

Just posing a question
food for thought

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by DrNotforhire

Here's your answer:

Wall Street, specifically, isn't the problem. The problem lies with those people who happen to be a part of Wall Street that think its fair or justifiable to buy congressmen, start wars, assassinate foreign leaders, or just simply $h!t on the little guy.
Just like the government. The Government isn't bad per se, but those in the government who accept bribes (lobbyists payouts), or vote for bills that benefit themselves or their shareholders, while screwing a majority of the rest are bad. See the difference?

Wall Street isn't some army of rich bankers and evil corporations; however there happen to be evil people and bad corps who are a part of them.

OWS isn't anti-Corporate America. They're anti-Corrupt Corporate America. The few that benefit the few are the enemy.

Besides, we all use Google to research our conspiracy crap on here, but Google is one of the single most evil online entities in existence.

It's a grey area, but an acceptable one.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   

If Facebook were the only means of communicating within Occupy you might have some legitimate point but you fall short because you don't really know a thing about Occupy and how we spread info. Facebook is a tiny part, personally...I hope we all stop using it and switch to something else, I barely use it myself and will be looking for an alternative for staying in touch with friends and family. Not using it for Occupy is no big deal to me whatsoever, there's hundreds of other outlets for us.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 03:10 PM
link   
For CHRIST SAKES people, they use Facebook simply to get out their voice. Stop NIT-PICKING with such silly asinine nonsense.

I cannot believe the petty silliness of those who simply just HATE on people who wish to CHANGE this country and world for the better..
edit on 3-2-2012 by HangTheTraitors because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

If we all started using something else, it would get endorsed by companies and would become a powerhouse and staple of Wall Street, too. That, unfortunately, is just how the game is played. The fact that so many people do use facebook makes it an advantage.
I'm aware that occupy uses more venues than fb to spread their messages, however, I'm spreading more than just OWS messages on my page, as OWS is but a small part of the push for change that we're seeing and need in this country... on this planet. With the new features on fb, people that don't even know me are now seeing my postings and are messaging me for more info, or a direction to point them in for more info.

Occupy is helping get the world out, just as Anonymous is, wikileaks, and scores of other non-group affiliated people who just give a $h!t about fixing this mess we've gotten ourselves into, and we're using Facebook, ATS, Youtube, Twitter, Blogs, Reddit, and even *cough* GLP *cough*.

This is an uphill battle on a slippery slope, and we need every tool available to us to educate the 6.9 billion sheep on this planet, otherwise we're screwed, and all will be for not.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   

I'm so sorry I wasn't replying to you, that was an accident. I was replying to the OP, it's been a long work week lol.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

No worries.

I guess I'll live.

top topics

join