It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Health officials: Number of sick from raw milk from southern Pa. farm rises to 35 in 4 states

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Health officials: Number of sick from raw milk from southern Pa. farm rises to 35 in 4 states

www.washingtonpost.com

The federal Food and Drug Administration warns that raw, or unpasteurized, milk can contain harmful bacteria. Dairy farmers say demand is growing because of concerns about hormones in traditional dairy products.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Well the battle is on... how many times have I heard proponents of raw milk exclaim there is nothing to worry about...

You probably wont hear that from these people anymore.

Still that being said... Hormones in milk etc is still an issue. But it really doesn't make any sense to go to raw milk, simply because of hormones... because you can get pasteurized milk from cows not given hormones or anti biotics...

It would be like me being upset the window was open, and decided to jump on a trampoline... one doesn't have anything to do with the other...

www.washingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   
The issue is that pasteurization changes the milk so that it is not as good for the body. www.realmilk.com...

People get sick from many things....lettuce, chicken, beef...I don't think that forbidding raw milk is necessary.

NOTE: I edited this to have the link direct you to a different part of the website in question. My original link took you to a very outdated article. My bad...
edit on 3-2-2012 by GeorgiaGirl because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Since when is milk good for the body anyhow? Are we all infants?

Get calcium. Milk turns you fat.

And besides, its full of radiation

You can keep your slimy radioactive lactations that do little more than fatten you up and give you tumors.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by GeorgiaGirl

The issue is that pasteurization changes the milk so that it is not as good for the body. www.realmilk.com...

You're citing an essay from 1938? Just be glad you don't live in France. The milk there is pasteurized by irradiating it!

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

This is typically how it works: Raw milk, organic vegetables, vitamins, herbs, or basically most things good for you are *accused* of making people sick on the front page, then 3 weeks later they print an article on page 5 stating that they made a mistake.

Only thing people hear about or more importantly remember is the article accusing them of it in the first place.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

And besides, its full of radiation

You can keep your slimy radioactive lactations that do little more than fatten you up and give you tumors.

Every culture has a different attitude towards dairy products. America is probably the only place in the world where adults drink milk. You would think adults would at least appreciate the value of pasteurization.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001

You're citing an essay from 1938? Just be glad you don't live in France. The milk there is pasteurized by irradiating it!

Okay, ha--yes, that link takes you directly to an article from 1938.

Sorry---I intended the link to refer to the whole site. There's more to explore than just that one article.

It's a complex issue. People should read about it before passing judgment. Personally, I believe that our bodies are best able to function when provided with food that is unprocessed as possible.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   

It's a complex issue. People should read about it before passing judgment. Personally, I believe that our bodies are best able to function when provided with food that is unprocessed as possible.

I actually agree with you there. People should also be aware of what foods are appropriate for the seasons. Still, there are certain limits when it comes to public health and safety. If you have your own cow, fine, enjoy. But if you're not consuming it within 24 hours, boil it.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Raw dairy is not safe, we had a bunch of people sickened by our local organic dairy farmer, 2 came close to dying.

The problem is that the milking parlour and the bulk milk room are in the same building, the chances for cross contamination are very high.

In our case the cheese room was 22 feet from an open manure pit.

So yes, proper regulation is the answer, but by who?

Do you expect the rest of the world to pay more for inspectors because less than 1% of the population want to drink raw milk?

Nature never intended for humans to drink milk past infancy in the first place.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Even though it's pasteurized you can still buy milk from cows not treated with hormones.. I don't see how the Hormones argument is even valid..

However if people want to drink raw milk and take the risk... I say more power to them..

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Cataka

This is typically how it works: Raw milk, organic vegetables, vitamins, herbs, or basically most things good for you are *accused* of making people sick on the front page, then 3 weeks later they print an article on page 5 stating that they made a mistake.

No, typically how it works is people believing: "Natural = 'how it's supposed to be' = good." This standpoint is often argued by people in concrete jungles who feel they have a duty to see a tree for the first time in their life, or something.

The problem is that the natural world isn't made just for us. It's made to survive, itself. Eating it ends its survival... thus - much of it is 'designed' (evolved... by whatever processes guide such a thing... stay on topic) to not get eaten.

Further complicating matters are things like bacteria and enzymes that break down the compounds, tissues, etc of things we would like to eat.

Things like raw milk are fine if you collect it, refrigerate it, and drink it within a day... maybe two (I'm no expert and have little experience with unpasteurized milk) - but you'll want to boil it before you try drinking it after that.

Raw vegetables aren't a problem. The thing you have to keep in mind, though (especially if you intend to grow them, yourself) is that you will have to pay special attention to methods of deterring and removing pests. I think you should do it, anyway (regardless of what you are growing) - because I think we go overboard on our use of pesticides (which leads to sub-species that are resistant) and going about it correctly can be very cost-effective.... but you get the idea.

As for natural remedies... they aren't miracle cures. They are, also, not to treat critical medical issues. Common remedies include mints, garlic, onion, and other familiar foods/spices - these are typically safe (so long as they don't involve parts of the plant you're not accustomed to ingesting). For others, particularly those that start getting into your more powerful active ingredients (such as Digitoxin and Atropine) - just avoid them. You'll more than likely get yourself killed.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I drank raw milk all the time as a child. All you have to do is bring it to a boil to kill any bacteria. Then chill in fridge.

There is already too much government regulation on the foods we eat. They want one government single source for everything, meeting guidelines usually set by the corporations making, and donating the most money to politicians.

At what point do we take some responsibility for our own lives. Instead of being lab rats living in a government comfort cage.

Des

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Yup.. Boiling it is the same concept as pasteurization.. Kill bacteria...

I personally would call boiling less questionable..

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

Makes you wonder how it is that we ever got around to drinking cows milk to begin with. There is just something wrong with a species drinking another species's milk.

We have to however because its our best source for calcium. I have done so much research on this that it makes me sick to think about it. You might want to read some of my other posts about our diet.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

I assume then you don't eat cheese, ice cream or chocolate either and don't put cream in your coffee or whipped cream on your pie?

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
media.animalnetwork.com...

There are more illness and deaths related to past milk...just saying. Only difference is if it makes headlines or not.
I think the record for most illness from bad Pasteurized milk in one year was like 200k people. I just started drinking Raw milk and in Idaho it is more controlled and regulated and has higher cleanliness standards than reg milk. If I get sick from it I will be sure to let you know.

A little info on good modern raw milk practices
homesteadrevival.blogspot.com...

I would never get my milk from some farmer milking it by hand in the barn into buckets. There are different types or classes of Raw Milk and if you aren't getting it from a state approved and monitored facility beware. Every batch of milk from the local farm i get it from is tested and put in instant cold storage...no sitting around at room temp.
edit on 3-2-2012 by outandopen because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Originally posted by SaturnFX

I assume then you don't eat cheese, ice cream or chocolate either and don't put cream in your coffee or whipped cream on your pie?

You assume poorly
I am a dairy byproduct addict
just the milk itself is yuck. I think its the texture.

also, some people drink several glasses of milk a day, along with cheese, ice cream, etc...overdose
I eat about 1 slice of cheese a day averaging, giving my calcium requirements. I put a touch of cream in my coffee, and eat chocolate or ice cream about once every few months..basically I don't have a lot
The rest of my family drinks lots of milk
the rest of my family is overweight.
the rest of my family is unhealthy.

I think dairy products, through personal observation and scientific data backing up the observation, makes people obese when consumed too much.

Dorito's is the exception..nothing that good can be bad for you!

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Cows have dirty tails.

Before pasteurization, there is often FECES in the milk (gets in it from on the udder/teats during milking)

Pasteurization to kill off bacteria is good, but it's the other stuff they are doing to our milk that is retarded:

- Removing the valuable milkfat and replacing it will cheap, sometimes even partially hydrogenated oils
- Adding water by "mistake" during milking to increase yield
- Oxytocin, BST, pesticides, and other hormones just below the permissible levels, or go undetected under the table

At our dairy farm, we feed lots of Dog/Cat Food BY PRODUCTS mixed into the hay/fodder. So our cows eat alot of cow, actually for protein and higher milk yield.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
If they want to drink raw milk let them. If they get sick and die, that is their fault. The world could use a few less mouth breathers anyway.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join