It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

To Speak Or Not To Speak

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I'm not sure if this is the correct section to place this thread in, but I think it's the most relevant section. This isn't long...it's just a question, along with the background for it.

During a college class a while ago, we were asked to write an essay from one of two viewpoints...regarding extraterrestrials. If they were real, and the government knew about them, we were asked to describe either why the government SHOULD or SHOULDN'T reveal their existence to us.

Now, I realize I'm asking ATS...so let me explain what seems to be an obvious question.

First of all, most people believe the government SHOULD reveal their existence (should extraterrestrials exist to their knowledge), because they are of the firm belief that we would be able to handle it, and even if we wouldn't, the government has no right to lie to us...we need to know this stuff. Know your enemy, as the saying goes.

But on the flip side, if the government does know and does tell us, and there was world-wide chaos as a result, then the government is responsible for billions of lives that have been turned upside down. Religious ramifications, accusations from anarchists, political rampage...everything half of our leaders stand for would be turned on its head, a fresh light would be shed on history, and nothing we've been taught could be taken at face value. it would be a madhouse. Remember Watergate...and multiply THAT by 20. That's what we face, at best.

At worst...well, you have imaginations.

So, I thought I'd ask what your opinions were concerning the matter. Sure, we all want to know the truth...but what if (and yes, there are people who qualify for this possibility) we can't HANDLE the truth?

Proceed.

edit on CFridayam313152f52America/Chicago03 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
With the apathy I see in the world today, I don't see any sort of panic within the masses. Therefore, spill the beans.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by UFO1414
With the apathy I see in the world today, I don't see any sort of panic within the masses. Therefore, spill the beans.

Apathy? I disagree.

Let me make it clear that I agree with you...let the truth be known. But I disagree with the idea that the world would not fall into chaos if aliens were revealed.

One, everyone would question what else the governmen lied about...because the first possible proof arrived 60 years ago, leaving lots o room for more lies.

Two, political agendas would have to change to reflect the confession, which would result in convolution as far as political priorities.

Three, in connection to two, the people would demand the government do something. Obviously, the government doesn't have the technology to counter or find extraterrestrials (look how hard we try with UFO's, and yet we fail), so the people would begin to press, and eventually overthrow, the government. Anarchy is a distinct possibility.

Four, everyone would demand self protection against aliens, having become convinced that aliens were walking among us. This would push the "right to bear arms" issue, causing more unrest in society.

Five, on top of four, there would be a rise in crime rates as people were accused of having alien ancestry, or getting shot in the woods because someone though they were an alien. Even accidents involving alien protests and various other sorts of nonsense.

Six, religious factions in America and the UK have never once shown us the Bible explicitly mentioning extraterrestrial beings. This means their religious doctrines are, in some ways, inaccurate...resulting in a LOT of questioning involving what else the Bible has wrong.

These are just six examples of the chaos that would involve the world...there are many more ways, but I won't list them. I think I've made my point. Now, these are possible, but only some of them are very probable. But your response proves how little thought people give to the ramifications of such a confession.

We are not as stable as we like to think, and the panic would be overwhelming. Suppose you take a flashlight in the woods and play around with some friends using that flashlight, and you get shot by someone who says, "I saw lights! Those aliens are out there!"

"Naw! That wouldn't happen!" Yep, you don't think it'll happen, but that's what they always say before it does.

Just think for a moment. There's more to this than any of you know.
edit on CFridayam353527f27America/Chicago03 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   
There are people out there who freak out when the formula of their deodorant changes or the pictures on their favorite paper towel clashes with their decor. No one will be able to handle that news. But denial of any relevant information will never be good for anyone. Must we believe in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and flippin' Tinkerbell too? Maybe if we knew the truth about anything, we might not have to worry about being so damned fragile. As it is, the whole world is topsy-turvy and denial of the truth is simply not in anyone's best interest. It's not going to keep the horizon in sight when it's not in sight now.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   
reply to post by CosmicEgg

Maybe if we knew the truth about anything, we might not have to worry about being so damned fragile.

Haha...and what would make us feel more fragile than aliens in super-agile, faster-than-light spacecrafts whose weapons we have no clear idea about?

Exactly.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Starchild23

Well look..if the aliens have only been hands-off because we don't know about them, will they be eating us for breakfast if we do?

I think we can safely assume that things will go on pretty much as they have. We might get some cool info though. Maybe our cosmologists could get a leg up on that stuff. I think physics could do with a jab in the arm too, for that matter. Medical science might benefit. And metaphysics is sure to have a new chapter or two. Win-win, in my view.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by CosmicEgg

Well look..if the aliens have only been hands-off because we don't know about them, will they be eating us for breakfast if we do?

I think we can safely assume that things will go on pretty much as they have. We might get some cool info though. Maybe our cosmologists could get a leg up on that stuff. I think physics could do with a jab in the arm too, for that matter. Medical science might benefit. And metaphysics is sure to have a new chapter or two. Win-win, in my view.

I'm a little confused as to which way you're leaning...you're asking if once the government speaks, the aliens will attack?

So why would you want a full disclosure?

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Was my text ambiguous? I do want disclosure because it's silly for us to sit around pretending that we're alone in the universe and that our governments protect us in any fashion whatsoever. We aren't and they don't.

I have thrice seen UFOs in my life, twice with my then-teenage children. I know full well that they exist so I really don't care either way whether people believe or not. But I think this whole charade of protecting us and that they really don't even exist...It's just so stupid. Lots of things exist that we don't want to believe and a lot of things don't exist that we really want to believe in. Unfortunately, in this world those things seem to be upside down. If people will believe what government says, then government needs to tell the truth. Since they won't, a bit of critical thinking would go a long way. Why look for external validation anyway, particularly from a less than reputable source?

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I think the government wouldn't tell us. And no, it's not because the existance of other intelligent life would flip us out. That's not the problem. I'm pretty sure the average person would be cool with knowing such things existed.

The problem is that government wouldn't want us to know if there are other working alternatives to the existing social order that has been established here on Earth. Maybe another civilization has found a better way of managing an economy and doing things in a way that most people would consider fair and just.

In other words it still is a CYA policy, but may not be for the reasons people usually think of.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I would like if the government would disclose it all, but I am not sure if we can handle it yet. We have to wait for December

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Great topic for a paper.

My vote goes for disclosure. Simply because we have the right to know if we have been visited, contact, and trading.

We all share this planet, we are all forced to live here. So we ALL have the right to know. Simple enough.

-SAP-

new topics

top topics

join