It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Xanthan Gum is basically just glorified Fructose corn sryup!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 04:15 AM
link   

Xanthan Gum is basically just glorified Fructose corn sryup!

www.wisegeek.com

"Despite its rather alien-sounding name, xanthan gum is as natural as any other fermented corn sugar"

"One lesser-known use of xanthan gum is in the oil industry. As a natural thickener, it can be added to drilling fluid or drilling mud to improve its function."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 04:15 AM
link   
Corn, Corn syrup, Oil, Corn oil...

they're all the same lalalaing people.

one thing that has been bothering me alot lately is the sneaky over vague re-labeling of ingredients on food products.

Yellow 5? now "artificial colors"

high fructose corn syrup? now "Xanthan gum"

chemicals? now "artificial flavors"

the FDA and other big business companies are more aware of the fact the people are actually making an effort to read the ingredients, and its hurting their wallets!

a list of things the Government wants in your belly.

1.Fluoride.
2.Yellow 5
3.corn syrup

make it stop wow....

peoples champions, please feel free to move this to the correct section if you think so. thank you.

www.wisegeek.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 04:29 AM
link   
What's your problem with Xanthan Gum? I don't understand.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 04:30 AM
link   
I'm sure if you look hard enough, you will find odd or seemingly nasty things in everything.

You point out that xantham gum is used in the oil industry...so is water.

Water is used in nuclear energy too, should we stop drinking water, since oil and nuclear radiation is bad for us...

Just playing devils advocate.

I see you have soy milk in your name, are you a fan?

Some soy milks contain a cancer causing product called Carrageenan.

The Joint FAO/WHO expert committee on food additives states that, "based on the information available, it is inadvisable to use carrageenan or processed eucheuma seaweed in infant formulas".[16] There is evidence from studies performed on rats, guinea pigs, and monkeys that indicates that degraded carrageenan (poligeenan) may cause ulcerations in the gastro-intestinal tract and gastro-intestinal cancer.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 04:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

ouch, i wonder if i cant find soymilk without that stuff in it.

i drink lalala tons of soymilk.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by SoymilkAlaska
reply to post by Chadwickus

ouch, i wonder if i cant find soymilk without that stuff in it.

i drink lalala tons of soymilk.

You eat a ton of things with xanthan gum in it too. But don't worry, it is only used as a thickening agent and in relatively very small percentages.

It is not unhealthy simply because it is derived from sugar either. As it seems you are trying to convey in your OP. Neither is sugar itself bad, there are different forms, and in proper amounts there is nothing wrong with consumption.

There are a number of other additives you could be more mad at, but I don't want to scare you.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 04:57 AM
link   
At least xanthan gum you can avoid by reading the label, but gmos and hormones are not so easy to bypass. The FDA caters to the corporate bottom line not to our health.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by boncho

aww lol thanks

i hope that whatever kills me be it a nuke, a volcano, a car crash or a soymilk, i hope it doesn't hurt.

:3

peace.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 05:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Snoopy1978

im actually ok with the estrogen in soymilk.

im a boy, but i never want my voice to get Too deep.

its just not "me"

gotta balance the yin and the yang in my opinion, and better yet, i wanna be who i am.

so as for the natural phyto-estrogens? i love em.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 05:34 AM
link   
You know, in like an hour I could tell you all you wanna know about xanthan. I have some at my work. From wha I gaher, its not dangerous according to the material books. From what I recall its rather harmless as a raw material, so ok, great, they use it for drilling for oil (?) and so it cant be used for human use? What if the oil companies used flour, would we then say flour is worse than drilling fluid?

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 06:22 AM
link   
I keep seeing posts relating to high fructose corn syrup and how terribly unhealthy it is to consume it.

The sugars that HFCS contain are very close to the mixture of sugars that are in HONEY.

Is honey going to kill me too?

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 06:38 AM
link   
My doctor told me I need to get more Xanthan Gum into my diet.
I wonder why? Maybe I'm too thin.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Oh, another thing......

For the soymilk devotees. Do you think that the soybean plant gets milked every morning, like a cow? People complain about certain processed foods, then gobble other ones down because they are under the impression (through marketing) that they are good for them.

Has anyone ever saw a soybean plant get slaughtered to harvest the tofu that hides inside it? No, that all happens through a process at an industrial plant. Another process turns it into a tofurkey, burger, or hot dog. Think it is an all-natural process? Guess again. It takes chemicals to speed up the processes in order to make enough of that garbage for all the health conscious masses out there.

Think about it.... Which is more natural? An actual bird, or taking plant components and processing them in a factory until they resemble a bird?
edit on 3-2-2012 by butcherguy because: to add

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   
The only hazard listed in he book on xanthates says that it can catch fire, or explode. The dust can b very fine and mix with the air ad if theres a spark can burst into flames. With all tthis said, I dont think xanthan gum is bad, but I wouldntt eat something with it as an ingredient. Though a hand lotion or somthing, maybe.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Myendica
The only hazard listed in he book on xanthates says that it can catch fire, or explode. The dust can b very fine and mix with the air ad if theres a spark can burst into flames. With all tthis said, I dont think xanthan gum is bad, but I wouldntt eat something with it as an ingredient. Though a hand lotion or somthing, maybe.

Why wouldn't you eat it? Flour can explode too, so can just about any other fine particulate that builds up to a certain level in the air.

I highly doubt you go over labels of everything you eat to make sure you don't eat xanthan gum, it is in a lot of food....

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by SoymilkAlaska

Watch out for estrogen and gynecomastia. I get you on the ying yang thing, but having to wear a training bra is where I draw the cosmic line.

top topics

join