It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Just need to rant a bit.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 02:50 AM
link   
Ok so I was online here trying to register for another website. I had to try this thing 5 times all because they use that annoying little thing at the bottom where they give u like 6 letters and numbers that are all turned up on their side and scrunched into eachother so that you can barley read them and they want you to type them in and even when you type them in correctly half the time it says you screwed up anyway. I understand that its something to keep computer spammers or some crap out ok great fine good whatever. But why in the heck do you have to make it all crammed togather and goofy looking? why not just put them up there in a neat and legible row so they are easy to see. I seriously doubt that a computer will have a harder time getting in just because you make your letters jumbled togather. I am sure this is irrevelant to most and thats ok its just one of those little things that piss me off. ok done ranting and feel better now.

thanx to ATS for this forum.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 02:56 AM
link   
They do that because automated systems ARE able to read them when they're neat and legible. As technology gets better, the bots get smarter and we have to squint harder to register for things...

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 03:20 AM
link   
I understand what your on about,

But I find it rare that I get it wrong, just look carefully and if you can't make it out -

Hit the generate new code button

Its important to have measures like this, or it would be very easy to "spam up" (-haha spam up) all the forums etc.

Also you could pretty much destroy a business by using software to create loads of false account's/order's.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 03:49 AM
link   
yeah guess I just get in too much of a hurry sometimes

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 03:49 AM
link   
Ah, I hate those things. I'm with you on never being able to read them, and the sound-generated ones are even worse. It sucks to know that A.I can do better than I can.

This drawing from xkcd sometimes cheers me right up when I get frustrated.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 05:22 AM
link   
I swear some of them only accept part of the captcha as valid.

I've seen ones like LYTHURMD Yes. and the first word is scrunched up and completely un readable.

So I just try to guess it, knowing I cannot see if it's an RMD or NND or PMD or PMO... just make it up.

Correct.

But if I get the Yes wrong, invalid captcha.

I HATE THEM... I think they're a kind of breathylizer for the internet too... man, can't start your car if you had to type that thing into your ignition each time you wanted to drive somewhere... lol No starting your post!

edit on 3-2-2012 by mainidh because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   
PROTIP - in a 2 letter captcha, generally only 1 word is needed, usually the one with the splotch in it.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
S&F For You! Those things DRIVE ME CRAZY!

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 07:44 AM
link   
i'm sure they could come up with a better test haha

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 07:47 AM
link   

PROTIP - in a 2 letter captcha, generally only 1 word is needed, usually the one with the splotch in it.
reply to post by doom27

Wait, if it is a 2 letter captcha, how can there then be 1 word that is needed???

vvv

posted on Feb, 7 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by VreemdeVlieendeVoorwep

lmao, i see what you did there...

correction... 2 words

posted on Feb, 11 2012 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Good to know I aint the only one that gets pissed with those things.

top topics

join