It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Facebook and Google Aren't telling you

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 12:17 AM
link   

ATS Terms and Conditions of Use

1k.) Video links/embeds: You will not embed or post a link to a video without a reasonable description of its content and why it interests you, is germane to the topics discussed on ATS or the topic of an existing thread should you post it in a reply to an existing thread.

So remember:

* Link
* Description
* Review/Opinion

Thought provoking and really worth watching.

edit on 3-2-2012 by MsAphrodite because: fixed post

edit on February 3rd 2012 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by MsAphrodite

I skipped the very end so the dude might have mentioned it, I think this is for the search engine DuckDuckGo.com.
They use the same screen shots anyway.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   

Can you summarize it please?

If it's just a spiel about duckduckgo then I already use that.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Privatizing Info is a much needed source to help dumb-down the majority of people that use the internet for control, saw that one from a long ways away.

Good find, S&F

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Dear MsAphordite,

Good catch, S&F. I disagree with his conclusion that we can ever trust algorithms to give us the answer; but, I love the fact that he is at lest questioning having computers make our choices for us, that is totalitarianism. Peace.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by MsAphrodite

Really good presentation. Having a personal bubble dictated to by algorithms is very dangerous. A far out example that I have considered is, what would happen if this infrastructure was compromised during a first strike? Could everyone be left in a personal bubble that excludes that their nation is under attack?

Or, what happens if governments have backdoors to these filters, could they leave individuals or groups in their own little bubble?

These are extreme cases, I know. But his point that these algorithm are cutting people off from the world is a very good one and no one seems to have a solution.

Perhaps these companies want people to be so distracted with their inane little lives, that they will leave politics to the corporate masses???

Sound far fetched? Keep in mind both Google and Twitter are doing that right now for oppressive regimes, just so they can make a quick buck.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by AK907ICECOLD

Privatizing Info is a much needed source to help dumb-down the majority of people that use the internet for control, saw that one from a long ways away.

Good find, S&F

I am reminded of the theme to Cheers...

"You wanna be where everybody knows your name..."

Since facebook has replaced bars in so many ways, I think the theme would be

"I wanna go where I can be anonymous from you unless I really like you and you friend me first, and then I'll only let you see snippets of my data and only let you look at my photo album as long as you sign this legally binding document stating that you will not use any of my information for social engineering or data mining in any way shape or form, and that you will not use any of my information for illegal or dubious activities, such as posting my pictures on a dating website trying to con someone into giving you thousands of dollars to help you move to their country and then take the money and run away with it... Click here to Friend me."

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 02:37 AM
link   
reply to post by mainidh

Do I really have to Add you?!?!

I just completely deleted my FB account. I was having to many people in my business, no matter how private I made my profile, sick'ning to me, and you?

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 02:39 AM
link   

+1
And I really mean it...

What FACEBOOK and GOOGLE are hiding from the world
posted on 19-1-2012 @ 23:32
www.abovetopsecret.com...

actually, lets make that +2

What Facebook and Google are Hiding from world - Video
posted on 15-12-2011 @ 08:40

edit on 3-2-2012 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 03:07 AM
link   

Got Globalist Hegemony ?

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Interesting vid. I didn't know that everyone got custom google results from searches.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   

I'm really glad you posted this. I LOVE tedtalks! there's always some amazing food for thought.

Heres a great one called 'the 6 killer apps of prosperity'. If your interested in the rise and decline of the United States, the rise of china, and generally the dynamics of global economic development, i suggest listening!

www.ted.com...

How did you embed that video?
edit on 3-2-2012 by ClydeFrog42 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Or, what happens if governments have backdoors to these filters, could they leave individuals or groups in their own little bubble?

There isn't no 'what if'... 'they' have total access to the likes of online shopping sites (what books are you buying? what stuff are you bidding for?) and they have total control over search engines - when they want it

They already do all the data collection stuff, keeping track of folks online, every day and in every way. You don't think that they can rip Facebook? Hell, if they can't then they are idiots because they should! Sounds crazy to say that, but any Intelligence Service presented with a treasure trove of personal information like that, well, if they don't take it then they deserve to be sent to the back of the class 'cos they ain't doing their job, whether you like it or not.

Google Smoogle... When the need arises the 'integrity' (huh - what integrity) will be compromised in an instant and when necessary, taken down. Anybody that believes it 'can't' be taken down is in cloud cuckoo - this isn't "SkyNet". Wholescale infrastructure denial is a big task of course, but in the worst case scenario it is entirely possible.

IMHO

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Very true, after spending 13 years on the internet I'm getting the best p0rn evaaaa!

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   

............we already know. You're preaching to the choir OP.

The bottom line is this, if you don't like what you're using because of what they're doing, stop using it. I admit, sometimes that's easier said than done, especially in real life with real people. Sometimes your stuck with sites, or people, that you've simply outgrown but have been with for so long that it takes longer than you want to leave them. But there is something you can do in either case to help remedy the fact that you're stuck having to use something that you don't really want to because you think they're up to something or..........simply not on your level anymore.

It's called a fake out and it's very easy to do whether they know you're doing it or not. Because if it's done right, there's nothing they can do about it. This applies to Google more than Facebook as I don't do Facebook. You say Google moniters your every move. You know why? Because you let them. You got a thing for the finest European art? You want to buy and read up on that as often as you can? Fine. Find the site or sites that will satisfy that thirst.( I found mine) Bookmark it. Hide it in a site like hidemyass.com, Do what you need to do to hide it from the prying eyes of that evil Google and their "government minions".

Then, find peripheral sites, or sites that have very little to do with what you actually want but vaguely apply, and Google them 'till the cows come home.When you do this, you're making a "front facing" with a product or site ( or person) that Google (society) is going to see and therefore work their majic with. The same majic that everyone here is crying is so evil and intrusive. What's behind that facing though is what you're really working with and what is REALLY important to you. You're faking out Google because they can only work with what you're giving them, and what you're giving them isn't the real thing.

What makes this even more "fun", or easy if you will, is that sometimes that front facing is what you used to use for the longest time, but have since outgrown it. It used to be your main focus, but now it's simply on the edge of your line of site. Google is used to seeing it in the forefront, as the front facing, and thinks, in all it's infinite wisdom, that you will continue using it for a long time to come. What it doesn't know is what you've bookmarked or otherwise saved. And it doesn't see it becasue it's out of their line of sight.

The thing is this. Google, at it's base, is nothing more than a unique set of binary codes that someone else programmed. It's nothing special. As a whole, it's not human. It's something less than that. It's part of a matrix if you will. All it takes is someone, or some people, who recognize it for what it is to be able to see though and use it to their advantage. It's called using the system to get what you need and it's very easy to do if you're above it. If you haven't been programmed by it.

In conclusion, if you ever find some sites, or someone for that matter, that is on your level; bookmark them. Save them. Do whatever it takes to retain them because there is going to come a time when Google isn't going to be able to have the hold over you that they do now. And I think you know what I mean. Sometimes you think it can happen quickly, but things like this, apperently, take time. Believe it or not, I'm new at this game too.

youtu.be...

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by ClydeFrog42

I'm really glad you posted this. I LOVE tedtalks! there's always some amazing food for thought.

Heres a great one called 'the 6 killer apps of prosperity'. If your interested in the rise and decline of the United States, the rise of china, and generally the dynamics of global economic development, i suggest listening!

www.ted.com...

How did you embed that video?
edit on 3-2-2012 by ClydeFrog42 because: (no reason given)

Follow this:

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

+1
And I really mean it...

What FACEBOOK and GOOGLE are hiding from the world
posted on 19-1-2012 @ 23:32

actually, lets make that +2

What Facebook and Google are Hiding from world - Video
posted on 15-12-2011 @ 08:40

edit on 3-2-2012 by alfa1 because: (no reason given)

Well sorry about that, and I really mean it. This is an important message and it can't be repeated enough. The corporations in collusion with big government don't need SOPA, PIPA and ACTA to control the internet. Screw the people and filter the hell out of what we can see. Goodbye independent websites and free thought, hello fascism.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Very interesting I always knew there was something like this going on. Great informative post OP s&f.

top topics

join