It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swedish Supreme Court Rejects Pirate Bay Appeal

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Swedish Supreme Court Rejects Pirate Bay Appeal

www.escapistmagazine.com

Jail sentences and stiff fines now appear inevitable for Peter Sunde, Fredrik Neij, Gottfrid Svartholm and Carl Lundström, the founders of The Pirate Bay who were convicted of violating copyright laws in Aril 2009. At the time, Per Samuelsson, a lawyer for Lundström, described the verdict as "outrageous" and immediately announced that it would be appealed, saying, "This is the first word, not the last. The last word will be ours."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   
This is direct from ThePirateBay.se:

Year of the storm

2012 is the year of the storm.

The Pirate Bay will reach an age of 9 years. Experiencing raids, espionage and death threats, we're still here. We've been through hell and back and it has made us tougher than ever.

The people running the site has changed during the years. No sane human being would put up with this kind of pressure for 8 years in a row. An insane hobby that takes time from our families, our work (sorry boss) and our studies.

What binds us all together is a strong belief that what we do is good. That it is something we one day can tell our grandchildren about with pride. People from all over the world confirm this. We read testimonials from people in Syria longing for freedom, thanking us for what we provide. We receive more than 100 visits daily from North Korea and we sure know that they need it. If there's something that will bring peace to this world it is the understanding and appreciation of your fellow man. What better way to do that than with this vast library of culture?

With this said, we hear news from our old admins that they have received a verdict in Sweden. Our 3 friends and blood brothers have been sentenced to prison. This might sound worse than it is. Since no one of them no longer lives in Sweden, they won't go to jail. They are as free today as they were yesterday.

But what enrages us to our inner core is that the system, the empire, the governments, are still allowed to try to boss you and us around with one law crazier than the other. Do you think they will stop with SOPA/ACTA/PIPA? They will not. Because you won't stop sharing those files. Because we will not stay down. Because no one can turn back time. Together, we are the iron that hardens with each strike.

In this year of the storm, the winners will build windmills and the losers will raise shelters. So flex your muscles, fellow pirates, and give power to us all! Build more sites! More nets! More protocols! Scream louder than ever and take it to the next level!

www.escapistmagazine.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 3-2-2012 by ErroneousDylan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Looks like things in the internet world are really starting to get hectic. At this point.. I don't know what to say on the whole SOPA ordeal. One moment I think we are free of it, the next... who knows.

I used to be a moderator on TPB.org and hold it very dear to me. I was awe-struck when I heard about the original news of this happening awhile ago. Now, it looks as if everybody is out to get everyone who is considered a "pirate".

Internet pirates, what a laughable concept in a case of law. They'll do anything to get their hands on some green.

Long live TPB!
edit on 2-2-2012 by ErroneousDylan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   
So who's running the site now?

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by WP4YT

As far as I know, the four are still running the site or having help from friends. They had originally planned to sell the site for 60 Million SEKs to Global Gaming Factory X (GGF) but the plans fell through.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Why is this wrong? Are you telling me they unknowingly broke copyright laws? Please.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 02:28 AM
link   
I'm sorry. I'm all for freedom of the internet and freedom of most anything. But piratebay was a place set up specifically to trade or download music, movies and lots of other copyrighted material illegally. I have issues with this.
There are places you can go to decide if you like certain music or movies, but if you like them, then BUY THEM! Everyone needs to stop pretending that they either don't know it's wrong or don't think it should be.

You pay to paint your house. Even if you do it yourself. You still pay for the paint. You pay to it gasoline into your car. If you don't, then its stealing and its WRONG! Everyone knows its illegal. Stop the BS. Support your favorite artists and buy their damn music. If you don't like it, then find something you do and like and buy that.

Stop pretending it isn't wrong. Cause it is. If you owned the music copyrights or movie rights, you'd want to be compensated for it, so why shouldn't others? Pirate bay was shut down. Not by a government firewall, but by actual LEO access to the site and servers. It should not be allowed back up.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by webpirate
I'm sorry. I'm all for freedom of the internet and freedom of most anything. But piratebay was a place set up specifically to trade or download music, movies and lots of other copyrighted material illegally. I have issues with this.
There are places you can go to decide if you like certain music or movies, but if you like them, then BUY THEM! Everyone needs to stop pretending that they either don't know it's wrong or don't think it should be.

You pay to paint your house. Even if you do it yourself. You still pay for the paint. You pay to it gasoline into your car. If you don't, then its stealing and its WRONG! Everyone knows its illegal. Stop the BS. Support your favorite artists and buy their damn music. If you don't like it, then find something you do and like and buy that.

Stop pretending it isn't wrong. Cause it is. If you owned the music copyrights or movie rights, you'd want to be compensated for it, so why shouldn't others? Pirate bay was shut down. Not by a government firewall, but by actual LEO access to the site and servers. It should not be allowed back up.

I would rather die than give our self-serving, back stabbing governments any more money

Period

The current system we live in is corrupt, to the very core. All it does is make the rich richer and poor poorer.. How is that right?
edit on 3/2/2012 by Kluute because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Regardless of how the creators of the site feel towards copyright laws and net neutrality/freedom, they do not upload any content. They have a music section, yes. They have a movie section, yes. The have many sections where you can download intellectual property but the uploads are user generated. There isn't a section on the website that says "Illegal Music (movies, books etc)".

You make terrible arguments, by the way. I have been a musician for well-over a decade. Your "favorite artists" make little-to-no income from song payments. All that money goes straight to the producer. If you are self-produced, you will make all your money but you will not get your word out and will get snuffed. If you do have a producer you lose all your sales income. The only way big bands make money is from a bit of merchandise and from ticket sales for doing live shows. You are paying the producer for your favorite artists music. It is a TERRIBLE set up for artists. They usually get screwed over.

Let's look at some alternatives, however:

The band Radiohead. They released one of their latests albums as a free download on their website. They asked for no money but they did offer the option to allow people to "donate" to them. However, you did not have to.

The band ended up make just as much or even more money as they would have by going through a producer and they got to keep it all since it was donations. Yet they still were comfortable with releasing their album for free to the internet.

So, sure, if you want to support an artists, go to one of their shows or donate to them, but to pay for an album is only getting the fat producer richer.

Also, people need to stop comparing physical items to intellectual property. I see this crap all the time. "You wouldn't steal a car?!?!? You wouldn't steal a pizza!! So, why would you steal music??" First of all, it is not stealing. To steal a physical item means to take it away from someone and keep it for yourself. Thusly, rendering them itemless and you with an item. When it comes to intellectual property, you are making a duplicate (where the originator still keeps his copy), and giving one to yourself.

Imagine that gasoline for your car (as if the gas companies don't already milk every penny out of you, now you defend them??) had a physical clone created where you could use it but you also weren't subtracting any from the oil companies. How is this wrong?

What is wrong is all the money the government and various others are making off of these so-called "crimes" that they instigated and made access too in the first place.

Kim Dotcom? He could face up to 20 years in prison. Murderers get less time than that. You really think there is nothing wrong with the fact that a man could lose 20 years of his life because of a non-physical item?
edit on 3-2-2012 by ErroneousDylan because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 03:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Kluute

I never said a word about giving any government any money. But I do think the artists themselves deserve compensation for your enjoyment of their works.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 03:38 AM
link   

reply to post by Kluute

I never said a word about giving any government any money. But I do think the artists themselves deserve compensation for your enjoyment of their works.

So your take on MegaBox is that it is or was a unicorn? By the same logic, I should pay for air or oxygen because I enjoy breathing.

Do explain to us, mr. brilliant one, how does the government and record labels earning money on copyright laws work for the artists?

I don't think you have an ounce of knowledge about the music industry but you just like to talk. Talk on, nobody is listening.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 03:41 AM
link   
reply to post by 547000

First of all, you have no idea how those laws work.

So try again.

Ow wait, of course, you are here representing certain people. Then you have to act as if your brain is lame. Haha, got the joke..."act as if"...get it? GET IT?

What's with these industry butt kissers who don't have a single idea how the entertainment industry works? Get back to work tazering innocent people please...

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 04:31 AM
link   
But of course they do. After all, they work for the copyright mafia, not us citizens. I want to say things right now that there's no way I can or will say here on ATS. Instead I'll say; this isn't a Case of Law. It's a Case of FLaw. And a clear sign that even our Swedish legal system is rotten to the core.

Problem is, these dumbasses doesn't realize, it's not they, but us who are going to inherit this world. They're dying, we're not. And that means, ultimately, we will have their heads. And God, how I'll enjoy that day.

Btw, Carl Lundström did not help found PirateBay. He got rich off selling Swedish crispbread, and is now a millionaire. For about a year, if memory serves me right, around 2003-2004 or somesuch, he supplied servers for PirateBay, and otherwise has nothing to do with the group. Y'all can figure out for yourself why he too is on trial. Because he's a millionaire, and is the only one that the copyright mafia is likely to get any money out of. This if anything shows the way they do business. My less civilized side feels like lining them up and gunning them down, one after the other.

edit on 3-2-2012 by David_Reale because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 04:53 AM
link   
One of my favourite genres of music is dance, some of the best of which is made up by DJ's who mix bits of tracks together. There's probably a basic background beat and then they overlay familiar pieces of latest pop music to create a catchy blend.

Question .... who owns copyright on that stuff ?

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 06:03 AM
link   
democratic dictatorships at their finest moment.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Throw them in a dark cell and get rid of the key. I hate pirates and i hate people like those scumbags running Pirate Bay making money off the site (and their merchandise) while thinking that violating laws and keeping artists from making money off their work is 'great' and it's everyones right to steal things

I hope those Pirate Bay founders get a big fine and a jail sentence from which they never will recover. They deserve it

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 07:09 AM
link   
reply to post by ShadowAngel85

excuse me.
they are not pirates, it is friends sharing material over the internet.
totally legal btw.
what is happening is invasion of privacy, suppression of individual rights, suppression of free speech at the very least.
no one can take away my right to share with friends!
no one.

that is what the cloud is about. Government controlled pirate bay.
if companies cannot adapt, let them fail.
thats capitalism.
deal with it!

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I didnt think PB actually hosted the data, only a "pointer" to said data that me and you actually all have and share...This is the only difference I see with comparing them to Megaupload, they actually had the stolen goods, TPB is just the guy that says, Hey that guy on 1st street has what you need. The powers that be always love using their loopholes to get rich and abuse their power, this sounds like a loophole to me and they are saying do what I say, not as I do.

"Pirating" actually is wrong,but that is not the point here

new topics

top topics

join