It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fighting fact-free journalism: a how-to guide

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Fighting fact-free journalism: a how-to guide

theconversation.edu.au

Moons and myths
If people mistakenly believe the moon is made of green cheese, how can we help them acquire a more realistic view of the world? Research in cognitive science can help answer that question.
Unfortunately, it is not as simple as saying “actually, the moon is not made of green cheese.”
It is not even sufficient to say it repeatedly.
So how do we then correct misinformation?
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.shapingtomorrowsworld.org
www.skepticalscience.com

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   
There's a "The Debunking Handbook", booklet is freely available links on source page.
'When debunking misinformation, don’t just retract. Give the facts.'
"The Debunking Handbook is a freely available booklet written by two of the present authors which provides practical tips to effectively debunk misinformation and avoid pitfalls. The booklet reviews and explains some of the recent research on misinformation effects, and we provide a quick summary here."

theconversation.edu.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   
yeah,giving the facts don't work.

A good ole captain kirk slap in the face might.
But,no there is no over coming the ignorance of some people,so it is better to just walk away.

Cause sometimes ignorance is bliss and those that wallow in it deserve to be happy.
That's all they have.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Zelong

It's an interesting booklet, I just read through it and it gave me some pointers that I hadn't really considered before. What I find funny is their example of good debunking:

The supposed ‘consensus’ on man-made global warming is facing an inconvenient challenge after the release of new temperature data showing the planet has not warmed for the past 15 years.

The figures suggest that we could even be heading for a mini ice age to rival the 70-year temperature drop that saw frost fairs held on the Thames in the 17th Century.

Based on readings from more than 30,000 measuring stations, the data was issued last week without fanfare by the Met Office and the University of East Anglia Climatic Research Unit. It confirms that the rising trend in world temperatures ended in 1997.

Met Office releases new figures which show no warming in 15 years

And what I find most funny, is that everyone thinks we can simply quantize the damage being done to the Earth by looking at Global Warming. That in its self is a massive misconception imo.
edit on 2-2-2012 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Star and Flag you utter genius! Shared to FB, and the DailyPaul.

My thanks!

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 02:02 AM
link   
S+F

Looks like a lot of good info there, will probably open a few eyes to the way the media, especially corporate media pushing agendas, are manipulating the news.

posted on Feb, 14 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I can't believe this is getting so little attention.

I thought this website's motto was "deny ignorance?"

Well, here is a guide for people interested in denying ignorance step by step, and it's ignored?

Perhaps many people here are uninterested in facts.

I will be applying this information at every opportunity. Even those of us who educate ourselves on this subject could stand to learn something from this.

I hope more people will give it a chance.

new topics

top topics

join