It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Crystal Skulls, NatGeo, faith...and more

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Okay, so this is troubling.

I just watched a National Geo channel show on the crystal skulls myths/rumors. (They 'debunked' the whole story)....
It followed a show about the Naica Caves (which I wish I had seen, but will wait for the rerun) .....

Now is another show about our 'Origins' ..... going back over 2 million years....
and the ads are.....the sponsors of these shows are:....(among others):
Pharma (antidepressants)
Alternative healing techniques (massage)
and ads for another show: Doomsday Preppers
So.
I used to so think of Nat Geo (the mag I grew up with)....as objective, scientific, and excellent journalism. Now, I just am perhaps too jaded to feel that they are any more credible than any other 'MSM'.

This might be the wrong forum in which to put this.....but it's not exactly a rant; nor BAN, ......
I've been fairly immersed in the faith/religion subject for a couple of months now. So, inasmuch as these thoughts and programs are tapping into that renewed quest,
how does one know which 'channels' to take seriously?
I'm about to give up, really.

edit on 2-2-2012 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

My advice is to not buy any seemingly good deals on a crystal skull that just happens to be newly found either in the dirt or somebody's basement/attic.

Thirty years ago there may have been one or a few others around, since then the dang things have proliferated like rabid rabbits.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

Yeah, I get that...lol...
they even featured a Chinese firm that sells thousands of those things.

I guess my question/issue is more about whether the MSM -- specifically National Geographic! -- are so bought into the sensationalism of the 'disclosure' movement, and the 'Ancient Aliens' and new 'Bible translation that proves aliens', and all that stuff that they've abandoned hard journalism altogether!

Sigh

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:35 PM
link   
I find that i can't take ANY television/radio show/channel seriously if i am expecting to find truth. While they might inform me of what Kardashian is wearing, or whether Lindsay Lohan is in rehab again, when it comes to brass tacks, you will not find TRUTH in the media.

Media always uses the latest trends to sell products. Pharmaceuticals one of the fastest growing market in the world, and what better way to sell your anti depressants, anxiety meds, and mental health care facilities than during a marathon doom and gloom transmitted to millions of hypnotized people.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by occrest

Totally in agreement....
so...
where do you find reliable info??
(Aside from here)....

To stay on topic for the forum here, does it not shake people's faith? People who might think they are 'all-together' aware and solid in their faith and understanding....and watch NG for 'information' that is reliable?

Just sayin'....
oh well.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Just curious. Why would you ever expect any "channels" to be what youre expecting them to be? They have $$$ sponsors and corps behinds them etc.

That would be like believing in YouTube. It can be bought, changed, modified, faked, misleading. Yet we expect the MSM and others too...to be fair and un-biased? AND truthful??? Hardly.

Welcome to the world. As you get older...youll find more and more of these things that just tend to make you feel...even older.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
I still love NatGeo, it's as informative as ever and I'm glad they have shows like that because otherwise, I wouldn't be informed by the subject matter.

Learned a lot of things from shows like that, not only about our ancient ancestors and their beliefs but also gives a more scientific and realistic slant on Bible stories.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   

In answer to your question, does the name Rupert Murdoch mean anything to you?
He is at least part owner (major owner) of this TV channel.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by mysterioustranger

Thanks for the thoughtful advice, but
I'm 53 years old.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by curious7

Okay, thanks! I have about 500 (guesstimated) NGs from as long ago as the 60s....
and I LOVE to look at them...

I don't want to totally give up on the sites/orgs I once trusted....
makes me sad.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   

I'm not sure I am clear on your OP. Are you saying that you are ready to throw out Nat Geo because they 'debunked' all of the crystal skulls?

Thanks.

X.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes
reply to post by curious7

Okay, thanks! I have about 500 (guesstimated) NGs from as long ago as the 60s....
and I LOVE to look at them...

I don't want to totally give up on the sites/orgs I once trusted....
makes me sad.

I think that's what ATS does to people I think.

After I first joined here, I spent a month distrusting news and tv companies until I realised the silliness of my thinking and reverted back to my usual thoughts.

You do have biased networks and corporations sure but I stick to Sky News for my up to date news and still love NatGeo, Discovery and History for my scientific, archaeological and factual stuff about our past and present.

If I'd listened to the ATS nutjobs I'd have thrown my tv out the window long ago but thankfully I haven't cause I like to use more than just the biased rantings of conspiracy theorists to keep up with the world.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   
IMO NatGeo is an unbiased channel. I enjoy watching it daily. One thing to take into consideration is the original airdate of the show. Especially check airdates with shows on the crystal skulls and other topics which typically tend to be 5+ years old. That gives quite a few years in between for theories and such to be discredited.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   

when one realizes that NatGeo pushes an evolutionist agenda, and remembers that evolution in all reality is just a guessing game, designed to lead people into believing that God is a myth; and its(evolution's) cumulative goal is to convince mankind that they can become gods by 'ascension,' then it becomes clear (to me) that NatGeo is just one of many mediums with which this dogma is being pushed.

As for where I get info, i dig all thru the interwebs and measure up EVERYTHING i read with the only plumb line I can; the KJV.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 02:35 AM
link   

53? I remember when I was 53. Then you get my point. You cant believe anything anymore...especially from TV and videos and photoshopped and cropped "true-proven EVIDENCE!".

Everything...and I mean most EVERY-THING is jaded and paid for by the PTB. It sucks,,,but you just have to realize it.

Its hell to grow up and find out your Nat Geo or belief in Santa Claus...is negatively influenced and effected by the PTB.

But every one thing...is owned by another thing...which belongs to a larger thing....which is part of a conglomerate of a group of things...etc...etc. Sad, is it not?

Peace!

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xoanon

I'm not sure I am clear on your OP. Are you saying that you are ready to throw out Nat Geo because they 'debunked' all of the crystal skulls?

Thanks.

X.

No. I still watch it. I watch History also (which is certainly biased), and Discovery. And yes, to everyone, I know who Rupert Murdoch is...I'm not as much as a greenhorn 'just woke up' character that some may have inferred.

It appears that my point was not well made. The OP was to point out an apparent 'agenda' that popped out at me during the program; that the sequence of episodes seemed (at the time) to be dealing with 'hoax' type programming (which is fine!) but sprinkled with ads for antidepressants and massage therapy...
almost glaringly shining light on the 'advertisers' who sponsored the program, which was certainly one that might 'upset' viewers who had believed dogmatically that the skulls were important and/or significant.

It was a minor 'aha' moment of connecting the content with the sponsors -- they chose to purchase airtime in a program that dealt with 'alarming' things that SOME VIEWERS might find so upsetting that they need to see a doctor.

Like pick-up trucks and beer ads during football games...duh,
and symphony concerts for NPR listeners..
why antidepressants during hoax exposure?

Because this info, from such a 'trusted source' as NatGeo, might upset someone's conservative or conspiracy-based or ancient alien or fundamentalist apple cart of mythology, "and we hope it does, so that we can sell you our remedies! Now watch this! THIS will upset you! You've been scammed all your life!" ?? Maybe. Or maybe they just know it's the 'thinkers' and 'seekers' who are stressed out by the world right now.

meh....it was just one of those moments watching tv where I was 'thinking' about the show, and all the fun ATS stuff, and thought I'd drop a line or two in here about the phenomenon of people's 'myths' being fragile or strong enough to withstand 'onslaught.' nm....

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by mysterioustranger

Its hell to grow up and find out your Nat Geo or belief in Santa Claus...is negatively influenced and effected by the PTB.

But every one thing...is owned by another thing...which belongs to a larger thing....which is part of a conglomerate of a group of things...etc...etc. Sad, is it not?

Indeed. And for that reason I've once again reverted to reading the public domain classics lately...to get back to 'before MSM' was worldwide. When people rode horses and news of the king's death took days to reach the village.
When people had more time to philosophize and less stimulation from worthless crap on the airwaves and bogus reporting for 'money.'

I just had an additional example pop into mind. At Christmas, CNN was airing a program about 'the first christmas after christ' or something like that, and it also surprised me in its non-faith-respectful statements. Now, I am a skeptical seeker, who has not bought into any firm set of spiritual thought. ... so I was watching that program and thinking, wow, this would REALLY upset a lot of the ATS hardcore Christians! Why is CNN airing this at the magical winter solstice?

Anyway. again....poor point, weak case....but thanks for responding, folks!

edit on 3-2-2012 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   

they chose to purchase airtime in a program that dealt with 'alarming' things that SOME VIEWERS might find so upsetting that they need to see a doctor.
Like pick-up trucks and beer ads during football games...duh,

and symphony concerts for NPR listeners..

why antidepressants during hoax exposure?

OK, wildtimes, I get it.

If your OP is reviewed in light of your clarification it makes what you have written very funny. You've got a great sense of humour that definitely belies you being anything but a novice when it comes to 'conspiracy stuff'.

Thanks for getting back, very funny stuff.

X.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Xoanon

Well, thanks...! I think...
or else just a crap post impulsively added in here because of the things I've been looking into regarding faith and belief and its shaky foundations.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   

I certainly agree with you! I remember the day as Im sure you do, when there were only 3 TV stations...NBC, CBS and ABC.... and...there were in black and white!

Sadly the world has changed as even seen frequently here on ATS. People believe what they see on YouTube or read or photographs they see...and because its on the "net"...it just has to be true.

Behind all the shows are large corps influencing what and how they broadcast, and at which angle to play it to us. Contradications abound. But, hey! Its big money involved in the charade of them "pretending" to be "for" a theory...while really "against" it...because busines and sponsorship demands it by all the "back-door" clauses and agreements they make, amd all the shows they we dont even know they produce with conflicting info.

I think its all part of the NWO coming. I too love watching NAT GEO and the HISTORY Channel etc...but I just watch cynically wondering who told them the info...why are they formatting it to us this way...and what major companies and organizations are behind it all and why...

I still love the Three Stooges tho...at least I know its motivated to make me laugh! Peace

<<   2 >>

join