It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stealing ice

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Whats the world coming to when you cant even try to make a living by collecting frozen water.
Its water ,no country,government,citizen,or the wealthiest person owns it.Its everywhere and all around us.We all need it.
Some people pay for it,many collect it, like me, from the sky and store it for their own use.Rivers are dammed to collect it and the owners of the dam then sell it .Its all good and works like any business,but No one actually owns it,it just there to be used. If i go to a National park with a bucket and catch water from the sky, am i just as guilty as someone who takes it from a glacier ?

from this

to this

news.hamaraphotos.com...
Santiago, Feb 1 (IANS/EFE) Chilean police nabbed a man who was transporting in a refrigerated truck 5,200 kg of ice that had been removed from a glacier, the cargo apparently destined for bars and restaurants here in the capital.

ask.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   
If the gubment can't get their cut then its "illegal".

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

Its bs that we have to pay for water, its the most abunant element on the planet, before you know it they will TRY to charge us for air, I don't think the Air Force or govenment sould own the skies, if I. Own property the sky above it should belong to me and every inch of ground on my property from top to the core of the earth should belong to me. Its illegal to go to space on your own.... which is bs. Meaning I can't build a ship and fly to space on my own. I can't sail to the bermuda triange cause its restricted... bs

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by punisher2012

Well, to be honest would you want to actually go there?

I do see why some regulation happens, with all the chemicals needed to get out there, mishandling could cause massive damage.

As for the ice, if I get in trouble for needing some water (I know this is ice and its just a tad different) but I think I'd go postal.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by calnorak

Absoultly, I would go. And if I had the choice to be shot into space... one way trip I would go. I'm not afraid of the dangers, and I could give a crap less about the damange that could happen in case of failure. This earth is boring and a decaying bucket of filth.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Chile must have a zero crime rate to allow the police to get so bored and go past the realms of known sanity in order to believe this is something worthy of prosecution

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

Eh.. stealing $7k worth of ice from a national park? Yeah .. I'd say that's pretty illegal and should be? Would you like to see companies establish "ice mines" on glaciers? I certainly wouldn't?

Given the cost of water and electricity to freeze ice, compared to the 4 hr drive in a truck that gets 8mpg up a forest road to chisel ice from a glacier I'd say it was a stupid investment anyways.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by 12voltz

A snippet from the OP's link:

Last Friday, rangers noticed the man transporting the ice from Jorge Montt glacier located in Bernardo O’Higgins National Park, said the provincial chief of the forest service, Piero Caviglio.

Yah, it's just ice, novelty ice, from a National Park. A protected place. Protected from people who go in there and take anything. As control freakish as that sounds, the point is that if you let people come out of National Parks with their trunks filled with pinecones, rocks, birds eggs, mud, ice, whatever, then the resource is diminished for all.

I know it's just ice.

When I was a kid a park near me was filled with petrified forests, from some ancient cataclysm. Over the years people who visited took bits of it home with them until today the few remaining pieces are encaged behind chain link fence. The beauty of the original site has been destroyed by tourists and entrepreneurs. Thats why you can't take ice home from a park just so some bartender can say, "Our drinks have glacial ice cubes."

I think it sounds cheesy too, but there is a reason parks are setup. For all to enjoy. Take nothing but pictures and leave nothing but footprints.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by punisher2012
reply to post by 12voltz

Its bs that we have to pay for water, its the most abunant element on the planet, before you know it they will TRY to charge us for air, I don't think the Air Force or govenment sould own the skies, if I. Own property the sky above it should belong to me and every inch of ground on my property from top to the core of the earth should belong to me. Its illegal to go to space on your own.... which is bs. Meaning I can't build a ship and fly to space on my own. I can't sail to the bermuda triange cause its restricted... bs

Why would you say you can't sail to the bermuda triange. I have been through it.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 02:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

i understand what you are saying about larger operations setting up and mining the ice and turning the forest tracks into a highway ,but what if this entrepreneur melted the ice and just carried out the water,to be refrozen later on.Is that the same crime? Is he stealing ice or water?
Anyway they had better get in on the deal before its all gone
"From a Fast-Melting Glacier"
www.accuweather.com...
The researchers concluded the thinning rate of the Patagonia Icefields more than doubled during the period from 1995 through 2000 versus the period from 1975 to 2000."
edit on 3-2-2012 by 12voltz because: (no reason given)

top topics

join