It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ONLY Read this if your were born in the 40's 50's or 60's

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 06:29 AM
link   
reply to post by univac500

logan earth ski, with tracker trucks and yo yo wheels, or bones wheels.
i also like bahne, but wood boards were the best.

edit on 3-2-2012 by hounddoghowlie because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by mnmcandiez
Baby boomers= watch TV daily for hours, don't know how to use the internet, listen to TV news like it is "Gospel", votes for whoever the media tells them to, doesn't care about the future because they will be dead in 10 years, generally identifies them self as Christian even though they never read the Bible in their life

We must know different baby boomers.
Most of the ones I know don't watch much TV, use the internet, distrust the media and the government, and are arming themselves.

I am familiar with the variety you describe, though. They're kinda scary.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by SpaceJockey1

I was born in 1960, no I didn't eat most of the diet you posted "beside the mod and worms"

We ate fresh foods cook from scratch without FDA approval, we drank milk from cow without been pasteurized and we never saw a doctor unless we had gaping wounds that needed to be stitched back together, hell I fell one time and hit my heat as a child from a tree and spend a couple days in a haze, I am still here and alive.

We only got penicillin shots for infections and the cure for head lice was kerosene hair wash.

As a child we didn't have toilets but out houses and the only running water was the one for the dishes.

We took bath in the local stream and at night used chamber pots.

I didn't have my first vaccination until I was 9 and am still missing an entire panel of what is today "childhood vaccinations"

We got our first KFC in our town when I was already in high school in the seventies.

We ate home made candies from molasses and drank sugar cane juice.

Yes me and my siblings survive polio and childhood diseases than now are considered "dangerous".

Yes life was better, we were skinny and happier.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 06:40 AM
link   
That was a great post. I remember sitting up on a saturday night till 11:00pm to watch "Shock Theatre" a cheesy horror show on one of the local channels. Many a saturday night I'd wake up to the National Anthem being played or the test pattern on the screen!!!

Saturday morning cartoons, were just that cartoons! Not puppets or folks in costumes or computer animated junk. There were no "talking heads"on tv.. And speaking of tv, we had three channels. ABC/NBC/CBS at least we had a choice. Plus we had to actually get up and change the channel by hand!!!

Chuck Taylor Allstars was the tennis shoe to have, if your family could afford them. I remember being "cut" from the little league team when I was 11.... I did'nt cry. I went home and practiced, determined to "make" the team the following year. Which I did, actually won the team MVP trophy that year.

Yes sir, it seems as though those days have gone the way of the dinosaur.. I would not trade places with any of todays youth. And last but not least, we took pride in our school & our education..& we respected the teacher.
edit on 3-2-2012 by openyourmind1262 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   
I was born in the late 70'2 and experianced most of that list in the 80's. In the UK we had 4 channels when I was young no remote control and they all went off at night.

No catroon channels, no internet and the best computer around was the ZX Spectrum. In saying that I don't think life was better for me then than it is now and I am sure my father would agreed his childhood was not all roses and ice cream.

He started working at the age of 9 had the toes cut out of his shoes to make them last longer and often went hungry.

I think most people are looking at there childhood through a childs eyes not an adults. We had some damm hard times when I was a kid and my parents being the baby boomer generation to this day they don't benefit from being a baby boomer and I am sure that a large majority of baby boomers did not have it easy.

I do miss some of the things I was able to do as a kid knowing that my kids won't be able to do it but there is plenty of things I will make sure they dont have to experiance. Like wearing old worn shoes and clothes, going hungry or living in a house with heating in just one room and having frost on the inside of the window of your bedroom.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by jpmail

Thanks for sharing, I remember that our first home "real home" call at the time" urban homes" with running water, electric appliances, hot water and real toilets was in the 70s I was ten when my parents were able to afford a real house.

The delight to be able to use a modern toilet without looking for roaches, rats and spiders.

I grew up in an Island so we didn't have winters it was always tropical, open doors and windows fresh sea air.

Now that same house my parents bought back in the 70s look like a prison with metal bars in the windows and double metal gates because no longer you can leave anything that can be easily assessable by thieves.

We never went hungry because in an Island you can pretty much grew everything in the back yard and raise animals for consumption.

So even in bad times it was always food on the table.

I am sorry you had it so bad.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 07:07 AM
link   
you know another thing comes to mind after seeing the post about horror movies.
i remember that werewolves and vampires were to be feared and hunted down and killed.
not romanticized, emulated and turned into soap operas, and worshiped to the point that they are now.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 07:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowAngel85
This glorification of the past sure seems popular. How many times has this text now popped up here on ATS? I bet at least 10 times.
I wonder what people accomplish, by hating on modern generations and glorifying the past by pointing out the things they thought were 'better', while ignoring the negative things (except of course "our parents hit us with belts and shoes because they had no clue about parenting")

You know, those people born in the 40's and 50's were so wonderfully raised, had such great lifes and were overall so much better than the people later....that they became the assholes that make life bad today...politicians, dictators, greedy CEOs. Wonderful people growing up in a wonderful time that shaped them to what they are today. What a wonderful world

It don't take long for someone to complain every time this comes up.
Maybe you got spanked with a belt because you were a bad kid, ever think about that? No, just blame it on bad parenting.....
And yeah some kids got abused but they still do, it hasn't changed. It WAS nicer to grow up back then. The kids today miss so much and it helped you be a more rounded person. It wasn't all good but it was better.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by SpaceJockey1

True on all counts and the funny thing is it worked

Perhaps that's our Good Ole Days

I remember gathering the friends by walking as a group and going door to door acting foolish.
Then we were on our bicycles riding everywhere.The ones with the long banana seats. Man I could ride a wheelie for a long long way.
I don't think I every had a video game until much later.I never seemed bored or everly worried about anything...No Crack dealers, No Pervs...

edit on 3-2-2012 by wutz4tom because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by hounddoghowlie

The only movies we watched were movies from Mexico, in my Island of Puerto Rico the only channels we had were the public channel and two more local in the Island, the movies were Mexican movies and they were all about horror and Aztec mummies curses and vampires, actually Mexico back in the days were the pioneers of TV.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tw0Sides

Reading this thread for fun (taking Iran break) and I thought of a real funny one.

Am I the only one to send away for the Sea Horses from the back of a comic book?

Ummmm......I got the seamonkeys, the decoder ring. Remember the playing cards in the bicycle spokes, I swear there were times I had a whole deck of them and a whole bag of my moms clothes pins. I sold seeds, and citrus and greeting cards. We climbed to the top of the pine trees in the forrest, grabbed ahold of the top and leaped out, while the tree slowed our fall and we touched ground...or not...and had to let go and drop the rest of the way.
Sometimes the treetop would break and we landed faster and harder, the wind gone from us, knocked out by the impact. My mom and dad thought it was bears or flying saucers.

Did you ever NOT have a pocket knife? My brothers found a baby skunk one time and were carrying the cute little thing home, when it sprayed them both. Our German Shepard cornered a young porcupine in an old barn and I rescued it. I think we were the only family with a "pet" porcupine, it would climb up your pantleg and shirt and ride on your shoulder. Every time we went on a hike (daily) there was our porcupine, along for the ride, we named it baby.

We lived on perch and bass, skinned and gutted our own catch and roasted it there stream-side on a stick with wild leaks. long days from dawn to dusk, spent by the brook or in the field finding arrowheads, or in the forrest. My dad taught us to ski when I was six or so, we would climb the hills behind the house and fall our way down, until we learned to stand and stay. I remember my dad nailed two ski's to the bottom of an old wood bench one winter and we had our very own high profile homemade toboggan. I think we learned a valuable lesson about center of gravity then.

I could go on and on while those days elongated, stretched, like bone and clothe, from falsetto voice squeak to first basso. They were wonderful days, then, and I cherish them.

Thank you for this thread, for the reprieve from harsh reality.........I have tread memory, and it is good.......

YouSir

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 07:17 AM
link   
I was born in the early 80's and did most the stuff mentioned in the OP.

Helped that I grew up in the bush though!

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 07:18 AM
link   
I once asked my mother how she always seemed to keep the house clean with so many kids, her secret was sending us outside almost as soon as we got home from school. We couldn't mess up the house if we were not in it.
This has been a good post to look back on how we were raised and should reflect how we should be raising our own. Too much TV really will rot your brain.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 07:20 AM
link   
I did everything that's in the opening post except eat mud pies. But I did make them for my friends. And we all had toy guns. Even the girls.

Anyone remember home-knitted clothes? My gran knitted me tons, and when I grew out of things she'd rip it down and knit something else. Maybe that's just a Scottish thing? You couldn't even put a hand-knitted cardie on a baby these days because it has to be starched denim with a posh label.
The world's gone mad.

Bring back bushes, and berries, and bonfires, broken bikes and burst balls.
edit on 3-2-2012 by wigit because: speling misteaks

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by mnmcandiez
As soon as all the baby boomers die there is hope for change in the USA.

Baby boomers= watch TV daily for hours, don't know how to use the internet, listen to TV news like it is "Gospel", votes for whoever the media tells them to, doesn't care about the future because they will be dead in 10 years, generally identifies them self as Christian even though they never read the Bible in their life

Young Adults 2012 = Use the internet regularly, know that the government is corrupt, doesn't like freedom restricting laws, has the potential to get news from non-mainstream sources, wants to change the future, understands that the federal reserve is bad, tired of wars
edit on 2/3/2012 by mnmcandiez because: (no reason given)

Of course these same Young Adults are the same ones that think that the world owes them a living, disrespects others, yet says that they will kill anyone who disrespects them, talks rubbish, thinks that they're all gangsters, steals anything they want because if they don't own it no-one else deserves it, generally acts in an antisocial manner and terrorises others and wear hoodies so that they will not be recognised and have to reap the punishment for their bad doings. Or am I just generalising like you ?

Is there really hope for the USA after the baby boomers die? No it is screwed now and will still be in the future, the blend of corrupt officials will still be there, the divide between the poor and the rich, the hate, the crime, etc. Change only comes if it allowed, the new generation that takes over from the baby boomers will be too drunk, stoned, oppressed, busy sitting in front of the latest computer game,downtrodden by the leaders to make any changes for the better. Generalisation is a good tool to use, to show how well you have considered all of the information you have gathered through impartial sources and how you have used inteligence to process this great knowledge, then comes the result " Generalisation "

If you ever have children, they will probably end up saying the same as you, and eagerly waiting for your generation to die out because they will think that your generation are to blame for the mess. I hope you are eagerly awaiting that too, it will be there in the blink of an eye !

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by YouSir

Originally posted by Tw0Sides

Reading this thread for fun (taking Iran break) and I thought of a real funny one.

Am I the only one to send away for the Sea Horses from the back of a comic book?

Ummmm......I got the seamonkeys, the decoder ring.

The one thing I never got and WISH I HAD was the WWII surplus Willys jeep for $40. I know a guy that DID get one, and put it together when he was old enough to... he had to assemble EVERYTHING, including putting the rollers into bearings. But that was one SWEET machine... no frills, but that sucker would run on anything that would burn.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 07:28 AM
link   
This thread really bring back a lot of forgotten memories

My children do not want to hear anything from back in the days, sad.

I remember also the sweet smell of the sugar cane been processed that is something that my children will never get to experience, my Island used to be big on sugar cane and almost every town had a sugar cane processing plant, the first thing we used to smell in the morning was the sweet smell of molasses.

We still big on rum making but we no longer process sugar.

Still we also had the coffe production and smell of fresh roasted coffee was also in the air.

We ate fresh sea food every other day and plenty of root vegetables that grew wild in the Island.

Those were the days, in the summer we spend most of the time going from the cool rain forest waterfalls to the warm waters of the sea.

edit on 3-2-2012 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   
Someone said there were only 13 TV channels - someone else had 48. We had 3 - BBC1, BBC2 & ITV.

Me and my brother played for hours on a bogey cart made by my dad, and on a tyre with a plank through it, suspended from a tree. It was abnormal not to have a few bruises, & scabby knees!

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowAngel85
This glorification of the past sure seems popular. How many times has this text now popped up here on ATS? I bet at least 10 times.
I wonder what people accomplish, by hating on modern generations and glorifying the past by pointing out the things they thought were 'better', while ignoring the negative things (except of course "our parents hit us with belts and shoes because they had no clue about parenting")

You know, those people born in the 40's and 50's were so wonderfully raised, had such great lifes and were overall so much better than the people later....that they became the assholes that make life bad today...politicians, dictators, greedy CEOs. Wonderful people growing up in a wonderful time that shaped them to what they are today. What a wonderful world

i wouldn't call it glorification really. more like an assessment of how much the kids of today have lost in freedoms that were available only 20-30 years ago and longer. the broad brush you paint of those born then being bad today is kind of unfair since nothing is all good or bad which includes entire generations.

we went trick or treating for two weeks straight and now they have one or two set days and most don't even trust to let them out at night. that's not my generation saying we were better, that's my generations feeling bad that today's don't have the chance to do that.

please don't misunderstand threads like these, they're not meant to put today's generation down, just to show how much, as a society, we have lost for our kids today.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Toffeeapple

Exactly!!!!!!!!!!!!!! scabs were part of growing up I still have the scars of the many I had when growing up at the time it seems that they were always there, now if you take a child with as many scabs as I had when growing up to the doctors you will be charged with child abuse

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join