It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do we really need a party system in America?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I don't think that most people fall into two groups, or three if you count independents. We are far more scattered across a spectrum. So it doens't make sense to me to classify all 330 million of us into two major groups.

The other problem is this: We have an election right now, but the main choices we have right now, are Obama, Genghrich, Romney, Santorum, and Paul. I keep asking, what about from the democrat side, what if I want somebody from that side, other than Obama. The only answer I get is "Oh he's the incumbent, they won't run against him", but this doesn't make sense, the republican candidates are running against each other, why aren't there any democrat cadidates, and if there are why aren't they participating in debates and such.

I think our country has become divided, and now its a game, its about whose going to win and whose going to lose. But the game they're supposed to be playing is how to make America proper. Instead, I believe many of us fall victim to groupthink, and we tend to popularize our group, and demonize the other, instead of actually listenting to the content of what each person actually wants.

If someone could please explain to me, how are system is better with the party system, and why out country wouldn't work without them, that'd be great.

Otherwise, we should abolish them all together, and when we are evaluating a person who is running for office, we don't value them by the letter next to their name, rather what they actually have to say. We also need congress and all government officials to be in the same boat as us, whatever policies they enact should affect them as much as it does us. Maybe then, we could hold them accountable to their actions.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
from an outsiders view america's too fragmented for a 2 party system but due to the serious ammount of money invested to keep it that way and america's always been a binary sort of a country since most things seem to end up either pro or against like guns or medical care but the middle ground doesnt attract the same sort of fanatical support both in votes and cash so it'll never really take off just like the liberal democrats here in the UK

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxatoria

liberal democrats, really?

In that case all you have done with that example is show how the middle ground can be persuaded to change mildly held views and become tory lap dogs for a measly few years of photo ops and a seat in the House od Lords at the end of it. Clegg is an abomination.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
We the People do not. They the Power do...in order to divide and conquer.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxatoria

Yea but I think that what we see on tv and hear on radio, are fringe views. I don't think most americans are divided on the issues, they just make it look that way. I think we all are more similar than we think. I also think that the country would be far better run, if a persons value wasn't tied to a R,D, or I.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Of course not. Its better for the elites if there are two large groups to classify people in and encourage intense bickering within the two groups. This way there is not a lot of free thinking going on, just parroting what the politicians say.

Its exactly like carlin said. You dont get to make any important choices.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ashes of the wake
Of course not. Its better for the elites if there are two large groups to classify people in and encourage intense bickering within the two groups. This way there is not a lot of free thinking going on, just parroting what the politicians say.

www.youtube.com...

Thank you, Now can we all just realize this and change it already

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by andersensrm

If I were a founding father I would simply say, United We Stand. Two, three, or twenty parties is division, and division weakens us. Divided we have fallen.

To me the "Party" system is UN-American and a plot to weaken and overthrow us from within. And the way things are here in America right now, I would say the plot is working just fine.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
In his Farewell Address, George Washington gave dire warnings to the nation on the evils of political parties. No one heeded him then and few heed him now. He gave these warnings because it was he and he alone who never belonged to any political party. George Washington is the only President to serve who was never a part of any political party. All subsequent President's, including several of the Founding Fathers, were a member of a political party.

There is no Constitutional mandate for any political parties. There is no law requiring the existence of political parties.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by andersensrm

Originally posted by Ashes of the wake

www.youtube.com...

Thank you, Now can we all just realize this and change it already

Hey no problem.

But not everyone "realizes" this. They buy into the system and are oblivious to current events and history.

Just trying to spread the message. Many people on this site still dont get it.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   
No we don't. Not a bit. (And we don't really have one anyway.) We'd be far, far better off if we really had to think about who we were voting for. I do, however, wonder how many people would even bother to research a candidate and vote or even be able to without the illusion of a party system. That being said, another thought is that a nation as diverse as this one should have a multitude of parties by now, instead of the illusion of two and the reality of one.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
No we don't. Not a bit. (And we don't really have one anyway.) We'd be far, far better off if we really had to think about who we were voting for. I do, however, wonder how many people would even bother to research a candidate and vote or even be able to without the illusion of a party system. That being said, another thought is that a nation as diverse as this one should have a multitude of parties by now, instead of the illusion of two and the reality of one.

Yes, I think that there would have to be a multitude of parties to cover all the bases of american people, too much in fact. It makes more sense to me, to have no parties at all. People should do their own research, and analyzing of cadidates, but I don't think that americans will ever catch on to that as a whole.

I think there also has to be something done about the campaigns. It seems nowadays, you have to be a millionaire to hold office. You also have to believe in God, and say "God bless America", which I wouldn't so right of the bat, I wouldn't have a chance. When we elect officials, it should be based on their policies and their character, not on what religion they adhere to, or their personal life. IMO the perfect President doesn't exist, so there will always be this divide.

Also our last couple of elections have been really close. Have they always been like this? Curious...

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Yes, maybe people will wake up an realize that the party system is simply another way to control the masses. If we did not have a 2 or 3 party system we might all cast one vote for one person that we endorse by way of their good and proven fruits and not by false words written by the party they represent...

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by YAHUWAH SAVES
Yes, maybe people will wake up an realize that the party system is simply another way to control the masses. If we did not have a 2 or 3 party system we might all cast one vote for one person that we endorse by way of their good and proven fruits and not by false words written by the party they represent...

Yea then we might actually become a country that can do something other than kick the can down the road. The only thing politicians are worried about now is being re-elected. They'll do or say anything to get re-elected.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by andersensrm

it's just a bunch of talking gangs.
that is all it is.

Gangs that don't shoot at each other but just talk bad about each other.

new topics

top topics

join