It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alabama Republican Senator: Low teacher pay mandated by God

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Get a load out of this !!

A Republican State Senator from Alabama claimed this week that keeping teacher salaries low is actually an order from the Christian deity figure, imparted in ancient texts written by Jewish tribesmen thousands of years ago.

Speaking at a prayer breakfast recently, Alabama state Senator Shadrack McGill praised giving pay raises to politicians, saying that it helps to prevent bribery. Then he shifted gears and went in the opposite direction with regards to teachers, arguing against a bill that would increase their salaries.

Am I missing something here ?

More Logic:

“Teachers need to make the money that they need to make,” he said, according to Alabama newspaper The Times-Journal. “There needs to be a balance there. If you double what you’re paying education, you know what’s going to happen? I’ve heard the comment many times, ‘Well, the quality of education’s going to go up.’ That’s never proven to happen, guys.

“It’s a Biblical principle. If you double a teacher’s pay scale, you’ll attract people who aren’t called to teach. To go and raise someone’s child for eight hours a day, or many people’s children for eight hours a day, requires a calling. It better be a calling in your life. I know I wouldn’t want to do it, OK?”

Is this becoming a pattern with politicians ?

This must be some plan to lower wages.

But only certain wages also says Senator Shadrack ...

McGill voted in favor of a 67 percent pay raise for lawmakers in 2007.

What do teachers say about all this

The Article

edit on Feb-02-2012 by xuenchen because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Do people actually take this slimy snake in the grass seriously?

If it's supposed to be a calling to teach children (as vital as I think teachers are), does it not also follow that being in the ranks of the lawmakers, the ones controlling the governance of the entire state, should also be considered a calling?

They are both extremely important; surely we don't want "uncalled" people in either place, and thus it is un-Christian to have politicians making so much money.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   

“Teachers need to make the money that they need to make,” he said, according to Alabama newspaper The Times-Journal. “There needs to be a balance there. If you double what you’re paying education, you know what’s going to happen? I’ve heard the comment many times, ‘Well, the quality of education’s going to go up.’ That’s never proven to happen, guys.

Well clearly he's right, because look at how much we pay politicians and we sure as hell are not getting higher quality from that expenditure

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
good God,

I say, pay politicians a LOT less, and spend that money on the teachers. Teachers have the ungrateful task for teaching kids, and kids are our FUTURE. Heck, I think the job of a teacher is the most important job there is, because they hold our future in their hands.

The old saying is "If you pay peanuts, you get monkeys working for you".

That is NOT what we need in our educational system. We need the sharpest, most intelligent people there, that can appreciate it if a kid ask "WHY?". We need teachers that is inspired, that inspire kids to learn, because our kids are our future. We need the most brilliant people to be teachers, both brilliant and being able to put up with the crap of hormone-filled teenagers. We need teachers to teach the kids about the wonders of our world, the wonders of our universe, the wonders of knowledge, the wonders of being human. Our kids will have to correct all our mistakes.

Maybe that is the reason why there are so many old and senile politicians out there. They are scared of the new, young leaders, because they know they #ed up the education of the future leaders, so they cling despotically to their positions of power.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Well this is certainly a new one. Attempting to use Biblical text to justify your greediness is damnable. I am not sure what the theological teachings are for Protestants, which I assume he is, but for us Catholics such a thing is beyond abhorrent. His logic is that teachers will teach even if you pay them $1 an hour because it is their calling. Well, it may be a person’s calling but humans are often more practical and see that a calling which does not pay enough to keep your lights on is not worth it.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   
"Because God said so." should be an impeachable offense when used by a politician.

If you can't come up with an actual explanation for why you support/don't support something you shouldn't be leading a raid in World of Warcraft, let alone part of a country.

edit: politicians are damnable scum, how is it they still get away on the family values/morality ticket?
edit on 2/2/2012 by eNumbra because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
That's funny and here i thought Teachers and others were using law to justify their 6 weeks of vacation,holiday pay and triple time yep the bible does teaches a myriad of things about greed it also teaches to put others before themselves which Government mandates putting self before others then again so do unions.
edit on 2-2-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by eNumbra
"Because God said so." should be an impeachable offense when used by a politician.

That is the best thing I've read in a long time. It should be carved into the walls of House and Senate.

If you can't come up with an actual explanation for why you support/don't support something you shouldn't be leading a raid in World of Warcraft, let alone part of a country.

edit: politicians are damnable scum, how is it they still get away on the family values/morality ticket?

Had to leave the rest of that, because it deserves repeating.

The answer is ultimately, it is the fault of the citizens of the United States. You know, the morons who let 50 bazillion dollars decide their values and morality, and who vote for the same tired crooks term after term.

Can't blame the ones in Alabama at least, given the importance that is evidently put on education there by the local "leadership".

pfft... applying "leadership" to this mook is a waste of bits...

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Open_Minded Skeptic

The answer is ultimately, it is the fault of the citizens of the United States. You know, the morons who let 50 bazillion dollars decide their values and morality, and who vote for the same tired crooks term after term.

Can't blame the ones in Alabama at least, given the importance that is evidently put on education there by the local "leadership".

pfft... applying "leadership" to this mook is a waste of bits...

Yeah, the last portion was a bit rhetorical, we get the leaders we deserve and those of us who give a damn about who we elect are not the majority. We need people with half a brain to get into politics, but anyone with half a brain wants nothing to do with it. With a handful of exceptions... I'm beginning to see ignorance as nothing more than a mental disease, a condition of a short mortality and problems that reach well beyond our lifetimes.

Those the opposite may be true, we may be the crazy ones, always seeking facts, truth, reason and solutions.

For now, if no one minds I will return to banging my head against the wall in silence.

top topics

join