It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help With Some Terms....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Hey all! I just downloaded Seti, and it is up and running.

Just a few questions:

What does Gaussian mean?

What exactly would I be looking for as I am watching the colored graph?

What does it mean when the graph spikes a bit?

Can I take a screenshot of the graph?

Who analyzes the data? Is it stored on my computer, and I would have to submit it?

I looked in the FAQ's for SETI, and I am so illiterate when it comes to the jargon.

Thanks much

posted on Sep, 15 2004 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Maybe this will help.

I do not know how to explain what a Gaussian is, but I am sure somebody will.

In the graph its not easy to know what to look for, but there are some programs, I think you can download them from the SETI site, who can report things in a less mathematical way.

I think you can take a screenshot of the graph, there are many ways to do that, but remember that the program runs faster if you chose not to show the graph.

The data is analysed by your computer, then, when it finishes that data unit, the result is uploaded to the SETI server to be further analysed, and a new data unit is downloaded to be processed by your computer.

Now I have 922 data units, since May 18, 1999.

E_T

posted on Sep, 16 2004 @ 04:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
In the graph its not easy to know what to look for, but there are some programs, I think you can download them from the SETI site, who can report things in a less mathematical way.

I would recommend SETI Monitor because it can also cache workunits.

Look there for information:
setiathome.berkeley.edu...

[edit on 16-9-2004 by E_T]

posted on Sep, 17 2004 @ 04:30 PM
link   
A gaussian is a curved shape graph showing a constant signal for the duration the telescope is scanning that bit of sky.

Not the best description, but the best i could think of.

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Yup the above description matches with what I know. Gaussian distribution is characteristic used to describe a 'dumbell-shaped' sort of curve.We electronics engineers use it to plot random signal values while calculating transmission errors in communication.

top topics

join