It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mega volcanoes 'may be predicted'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   

The eruption of some of the largest volcanoes on the planet could be predicted several decades before the event, according to researchers.

The largest of these volcanoes have been dubbed "supervolcanoes" and their eruptions can trigger devastation with global impacts. Such volcanoes can lie dormant for hundreds of thousands of years before blowing. But while researchers believe seismic data and other readings would give us a few month's notice of such an eruption, the new study suggests we might anticipate these events much earlier.

from the beeb
edit on 2-2-2012 by doubledutch because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
now im no expert, far from it, but I know there are some people here who might find this interesting.

Also it might put a few minds at rest to know that we may be close to being able to predict such events, giving us enough time to RUN AWAY!!!

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   
even if you put your minds to rest, cause someone found how to predicts this eruptions on super volcanos. and gave them time to run.... for your information, if a super volcano happens to erupt. 90% of earht population will die with in 2 years., so if you don't happend to be well connected with a member of congress or a big time politician... you are going to wish you were very near the blast.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by guanicaPR

and there was me trying to alleviate some of the doom and gloom

cheers

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
how could there be any doubt that things near the surface are warming up fast. I can not even begin to imagine what it would have been like to be a native american in the region when Mt. Mazama turned into a Crater of Crater Lake

new topics

top topics

join