It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA releases first ever of video from dark side of moon!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by wulff

Because, as usual, the MSM screws up anything resembling science. It is the first video from the GRAIL probe, not the first video from the far side (there is no "dark side") of the Moon.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Umm..i think Pink Floyd may have a difference of opinion here....

By dark side i assume they kinda of met not visible from earth, but we already knew that right ....?

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by cerebralassassins

I don't think they were actually referring to the Moon.

The lunatic is in my head.
The lunatic is in my head
You raise the blade, you make the change
You re-arrange me 'til I'm sane.
You lock the door
And throw away the key
There's someone in my head but it's not me.

And if the cloud bursts, thunder in your ear
You shout and no one seems to hear.
And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes
I'll see you on the dark side of the moon.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Sorry everyone, I didn't know there was another thread about this...... what caught my eyes was the wording, I think the author of the news article actually thinks
A: there is a 'dark side' of the moon..
B: this was the FIRST EVER video of it! LOL
What ever happened to proofreading?

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by cerebralassassins

I don't think they were actually referring to the Moon.

The lunatic is in my head.
The lunatic is in my head
You raise the blade, you make the change
You re-arrange me 'til I'm sane.
You lock the door
And throw away the key
There's someone in my head but it's not me.

And if the cloud bursts, thunder in your ear
You shout and no one seems to hear.
And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes
I'll see you on the dark side of the moon.

They most certainly were talking about the moon, given the above lyrics can you place them to an associated response from the general public regarding the dark side of the moon and the purposely hidden material regarding that particular part of the rock.

"The lunatic is in my head.
The lunatic is in my head "

Whos in my head, is it the media, the radio, the newspaper, the internet. You see some of is refer to those groups as a living physical entity for every business is infact a living entity driven by humans thus breeding life into a lifeless entity.

"You raise the blade, you make the change
You re-arrange me 'til I'm sane."

What is the blade, is it the silver color that shines from the stars, is the light reflecting of the moon, is the fact that since the beginning of recorded history man always looks up and not down thus recording of craft thought history have then and continue till now to be sighted and documented. Then comes along the lifeless entity making sure that my insane thoughts turn into sane thoughts.

Ill will the rest upto you as you can obviously or perhaps you cant link the lines between what today has been viewed as a song to get stoned with and others view it as a focal point for obvious mass manipulation that set the standard of how and when methods and tools are to be applied to decrease any agitation from the occupants of what we refer to as the "rock" a.k.a earth.

"And if the cloud bursts, thunder in your ear
You shout and no one seems to hear."

Translates to me like an echo of what the world is hearing and voicing regarding were we are heading but no one seems to hear...

Then again, i do live in the fringe side of the internet and life, so your more than welcome to take this reply as a rant, as an automated bot response or as human response.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   
What I wanna know is:
  1. Why do we always see the same side of the moon?
    1. Is this side heavier?
    2. Has it ever spun on any of the three axis?
    3. Is this the only satellite in the universe (besides man-made satellites) with this distinction (and don't they require constant minute adjustments)?

2. How would "amateur astronomers" get pics of the far side of the moon?
    1. Is it just the edges we're talkin' about here?
    2. Are they taking the photos when the angle is extreme (telescope almost parallel to the ground)?

3. And why can't people realize that when you have something large and bright in the center of the frame, aperture dilation is almost entirely constricted (dilated), and unable to see little tiny specs of light?

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by lagnar

1) A. We don't know for sure.
B. A very long time ago the Moon would have been rotating faster than it does now.
c. All of the significant moons in our Solar System display this phenomenon. It is called tidal locking.

2) They cannot.

3) Because they have never taken a photograph under such conditions?

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   
they are just giving us these (obviously) fabricated pictures now? after all this time?

why didn't they share sooner.

fake anyways right?

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by The1Prettiest1One
It's FoxNews. How many of their regulars are going to know better?

Oh yeah THOSE guys
Yeah they are very intelligent reporters

"Fizzled"

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

"Meteors from an extinct constellation"?

That's FoxNews meatier-ology.

My pomona is very extinct.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 03:13 AM
link   
reply to post by wulff

What an awful video. Looks animated.

NASA - YOU SUCK!

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by The1Prettiest1One

What is really funny is that what they are seeing 'fizzling out' is space debris re entry

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by lagnar
What I wanna know is:
  1. Why do we always see the same side of the moon?
    1. Is this side heavier?
    2. Has it ever spun on any of the three axis?
    3. Is this the only satellite in the universe (besides man-made satellites) with this distinction (and don't they require constant minute adjustments)?

2. How would "amateur astronomers" get pics of the far side of the moon?
    1. Is it just the edges we're talkin' about here?
    2. Are they taking the photos when the angle is extreme (telescope almost parallel to the ground)?

3. And why can't people realize that when you have something large and bright in the center of the frame, aperture dilation is almost entirely constricted (dilated), and unable to see little tiny specs of light?

The moon rotates on it's axis just as the earth does however, due to the speed it is 'synchronized' to the earth rotation so we see a little more than 50%

This is kinda long but explains it all:

You may have heard references made to the "dark side" of the Moon. This popular, although somewhat inaccurate term refers to the fact that only one face of the Moon, the "near side", is visible to us. The dark side or far side is permanently rotated away from our planet.

Why is this the case? We all know that the Earth rotates on its own axis, so theoretically, the Moon should also do the same, allowing us to get a full picture of the planetoid. Why are we limited to seeing only 50 percent? It turns out that the speed at which the Moon rotates has lead to this particular phenomenon. Millions of years ago, the Moon spun at a much faster pace than it does now. However, the gravitational influence of the Earth has gradually acted upon the Moon to slow its rotation down, in the same way that the much smaller gravitational influence of the Moon acts upon the Earth to create tides. This influence slowed the rotational period of the Moon to match that of its orbit – about 29.5 days – and it is now "locked in" to this period.

If the Moon didn't spin at all, then eventually it would show its far side to the Earth while moving around our planet in orbit. However, since the rotational period is exactly the same as the orbital period, the same portion of the Moon's sphere is always facing the Earth.

Another interesting fact is that actually a little bit more than half of the Moon's surface is observable from Earth. Since the Moon's orbit is elliptical, and not circular, the speed of its orbital travel increases and decreases depending on how close it is to our planet. The rotational speed of the Moon is constant however – and this difference between orbital speed and rotational speed means that when the Moon is farthest from the Earth, its orbital speed slows down just enough to allow its rotational speed to overtake it, giving observers a small glimpse of the usually hidden area. The term for this "rocking" motion of the Moon is called libration and it allows for 59 percent of the Moon to be seen in total (over time).

Finally, the reason that the far side of the Moon is frequently referred to as the "dark side" is because many people mistakenly think that it never sees any light from the sun. This notion results from a misinterpretation of the fact that it is never illuminated so that it can be observed from Earth. In fact, since the Moon is constantly rotating on its own axis, there is no area of the planetoid which is in permanent darkness, and the far side of the Moon is only completely devoid of sunlight during a Full Moon – when the Sun is facing the Moon with the Earth in between.
edit on 3-2-2012 by wulff because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
reply to post by The1Prettiest1One

What is really funny is that what they are seeing 'fizzling out' is space debris re entry

I caught that too and I can even forgive that more than their comical B.S. that amounts to nothing better than saying, "That's sunlight reflecting off moon cheese thrown to earth by an angry moon mouse that hates Obama and demands his long-form birth certificate."

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I always wear my conspiracy hat when I watch stuff released by NASA. I think this is real footage though - but edited for sure

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by 1AnunnakiBastard
I've spent A LOT of time watching NASA TV, footages from the ISS cameras and comparing with several other videos of NASA database, specially during Shuttle missions and it takes NO Einstein to figure out that NASA videos are severely filtered for preventing UFOs showing up, that's WHY we don't see background noise aka stars, in most of modern NASA videos. And I'm sure I'm not alone in this conclusion

You're probably not alone, that's true. But that doesn't mean that you and everyone who thinks this way is right. If the faint lights of a distant city can drown out the stars at night on the earth's surface, how do you expect the stars in a picture of Earth to be even somewhat visible when there's an extraordinarily massive lit body in front of them?

Or does NASA edit the night sky too so you don't see UFOs there either?

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I hate to burst the bubble of fun conspiracy that some of you like to create, but when you are in space taking a photo where the moon, sun, earth, floating astronaut, or anything bright like these are in the frame, the exposure setting that lets you capture them prevents the camera from recording any starlight. It is NOT edited out, or CGI... good grief.

You know, ATS can be so crazy sometimes. I can only imagine sitting next to someone like you during a movie like "The Lion King," or whatever...

"They're fireflies. Fireflies caught up in that big, blueish, black thing." - Timon

"Yes! I've been telling people this for years! And they all said I was crazy!" - ATS'er
edit on 4-2-2012 by SoulVisions because: Ah, I didn't read the post above me. He has the truth of the matter.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by SoulVisions
I hate to burst the bubble of fun conspiracy that some of you like to create, but when you are in space taking a photo where the moon, sun, earth, floating astronaut, or anything bright like these are in the frame, the exposure setting that lets you capture them prevents the camera from recording any starlight. It is NOT edited out, or CGI... good grief.

I have heard all the arguments why no stars appear in certain NASA photos, yet I was never satisfied with the answer...

I looked around for some time to find a film like the following video from NASA. This one is perfect because not only does it show stars, but has what I wanted most, a recognizable constellation so there is no question that we are seeing stars.

Now what makes this film also useful is that it is filmed with the low resolution black and white camera and even when the camera points at the bright moon, you can still clearly see the stars.

The constellation is Orion, a very recognizable feature indeed and you can even see four stars in the sword

Orion for comparison...

OH and BTW just ignore the door shaped UFO zipping by.... this post is about the stars

edit on 5-2-2012 by zorgon because: Moon Pixies are REAL

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
First let thank you all for allowing me to be part of this community. I have been a long time reader of the posts here and have found them to be interesting as well as sometimes absurd. I really don't have a lot contribute here so I have been satisfied with being an observer. Until now.

When making a statement that generalizes an opinion it will inevitably end up being offensive to some one. So my apologies to all the hard working truly amazing people that work at the National Aeronautics and Space Administration. This statement is not aimed at you. It is directed at the culture that has permeated NASA and apparently continues to be the driving force behind the release of images and information like the recently released "First ever video of the dark side of the moon" video.

NASA SUCKS!

What kind of fools does NASA thing we are? And I'm not even going to venture into the discussion of whether NASA is covering up the existence of alien life. What I am referring to is the continued release of images that directly insult the hard work of the thousands of people that have been working over the last 100 years on optical advances and integrity. Humanity has moved past over exposed under contrasted video and still imagery that NASA keeps force feeding us.

This new video release is an affront to those people as well as all other tax paying citizen of this great nation. I hope that people look at this sorry example of misinformation and accept it for just that. If we can determine that a planet 22 light years is circling its star in the perfect location to support life or if we can take startling images from the HST of far away galaxies and stars why would NASA expect us to accept this most recent attempt at public manipulation as the best they could do.

ITS THE MOON. Its should be the easiest thing on NASA's plate to accomplish. Take a clear HD video of the moon. Shame on you NASA. Again. I'm sure I am not the only one to feel cheated and short changed by this new video. I hope that soon some one on this planet will spend some of their own money and give humanity what it deserves. Clear HD images of our closest celestial neighbor.

The Moon.

As for NASA, I want my money back.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

Now what makes this film also useful is that it is filmed with the low resolution black and white camera and even when the camera points at the bright moon, you can still clearly see the stars.

Yes, that's Orion. But are you sure it's the Moon the camera is pointing at?

Of course, Stubbs doesn't provide any information about the date and time but we do know that STS-61 launched on December 2, 1993. The Moon did not pass over Orion's head during that mission. But there were three other missions with the designations STS-61 (A-C). On both A and B (in October and November of 1985) the Moon passed over Orion's head during the mission. So assuming that Stubbs got something sort of right, so far so good. But there's a problem. Here is the setup for STS-61-B (61-A was quite similar) with some lines drawn between prominent stars for reference.

Here is a shot from the video using the same reference lines:

At the time the video was taken the Moon was outside of the field of view of the camera, quite a lot outside it. What is seen must be an internal camera reflection, not the Moon. The sensor is not being exposed to direct Moonlight.
edit on 2/6/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join