It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA releases first ever of video from dark side of moon!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   

NASA releases first ever of video from dark side of moon!

www.foxnews.com

Because the moon is tidally locked with Earth, it only presents one face to the planet's surface (the near side). The side of the moon that faces away from Earth is the far side. Only robotic spacecraft and Apollo astronauts who orbited the moon in the 1960s and 1970s have seen the far side of the moon directly. [New photo and video of the moon's far side]

The new video is about 30 seconds long and shows the far side of the moon as a stark, scarred landscape. Dozens of craters are visible in
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
I am trying to figure out exactly why this video is being called "FIRST" as the Apollo astronauts took lot of pictures and videos of the farside! (which is mentioned in the article)
Also, some people think the moon doesn't revolve as we always see one (the same) side. but the moon does rotate but it rotates in such an orbit that it is synchronized with the earths rotation. So there really isn't a "dark side" to the moon.
Any thoughts why NASA is calling this a first?

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

I was putting this post on the first one, I don't know why it posted as a separate post! Oh, well just read it as one, LOL!
edit on 2-2-2012 by wulff because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
There is already a thread with the same title. Yesterday I think.

It's saying it's the first video from that mission.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by wulff

they mean the 1st video by the Grail mission which is newly arrived at the moon and just becoming operational

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
reply to post by wulff

Because, as usual, the MSM screws up anything resembling science. It is the first video from the GRAIL probe, not the first video from the far side (there is no "dark side") of the Moon.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

there is no dark side

what do you mean by this?

isn't there a side of the moon that's always shielded from earth's view?

or is that an urban myth

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
The moon is only dark when a side of it is not facing the sun but like most object in space they orbit so eventually all sides of the moon see light from the sun. The 'dark side' is an optical prespective from those on the ground on Earth. There is a side that is permanently faced away from Earth but it still gets light.

The dark side of the Moon can refer to:

the far side of the Moon that is permanently turned away from the Earth[citation needed] (even though it receives approximately the same amount of light as the near side of the moon), or
the lunar hemisphere that is not lit by the sun at any particular moment in time.

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 2-2-2012 by PageAlaCearl because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Didn't see yesterdays thread...but going to get my popcorn anyhow and count all the alien cities they show.

I know its there...lear said so!

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by kn0wh0w

Yes there is but it receives as much sunlight as any other part of the Moon.
No dark side. Far side.
edit on 2/2/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by kn0wh0w
reply to post by Phage

there is no dark side

what do you mean by this?

or is that an urban myth

Yes, there is, but the concept is that the other side of the moon facing away from us is in constant darkness...which of course its not

My cosmologically challenged sister thought the moon was always on the opposite side of earth and its earths shadow that dictates if its full, half, new, etc...and for her, the dark side of the moon = the side in perpetual darkness.

She gets confused when I ask her about solar eclipses though...often getting dizzy.

(you think thats bad, I won't even go on about the conversation my niece and I had when she took up astronomy in college...she was astounded that we went around the sun. I think high schools need to be blown up, because she aced high school...thinking like a 16th century peasant)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by kn0wh0w

No dark side. Far side.

*snap* All these years I just took Pink Floyd's word for it!
edit on 2-2-2012 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   

reply to post by kn0wh0w

No dark side. Far side.

ah you mean like this..

i knew it wasn't covered in darkness all the time.

but when people are refering to 'the dark side' of the moon.

that is what it means to me.

maybe a bit confusing but eehh who cares?

thanks for clearing that up

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Headline from Fox News:
First ever dark side of the moon video

Reality: latest far side of the moon video.

Fox News:
Square and absurd.
We distort, you comply

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by wulff

The more I watch this video the more I'm convinced it's a CGI job. I totally doubt that NASA would release actual footages of the Moon's dark side with all the giant towers, ancient structures and stuff already spotted and even filmed by amateur astronomers.

And for the record, as usual we see NO background stars whatsoever in the GRAIL footage, what suggests that IF the video is authentic, it was cleaned up and denoised to prevent bogeys in the scene.
edit on 2/2/2012 by 1AnunnakiBastard because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by 1AnunnakiBastard

Background stars

Come on, if you know this for a fact it means you understand photography and why the stars are not there. It also means you can post proof.

We've never seen any real proof posted here although many have tried. Most seem to believe just because they believe and then they misrepresent, abuse images and tell tall tales.

I really like Lear and wish he would come back. His dry humor was great and his honesty in saying he had no proof but it is just what he believed was refreshing. He's still a member. Even though no true evidence was actually presented it was interesting to read all the same. Shame about the temper tantrum for lack of anything else to call it. I think it was to try and draw people to another forum and staged personally. But then I hang out on a conspiracy board so how else could I see it.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   

No dark side. Far side.

Hearing "Dark side of the moon", that pisses me and gives me Tourette's-like ticks too.

A useful mnemonic:
Dark side = Pink Floyd album
Far side = Gary Larson comic strip

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

I've spent A LOT of time watching NASA TV, footages from the ISS cameras and comparing with several other videos of NASA database, specially during Shuttle missions and it takes NO Einstein to figure out that NASA videos are severely filtered for preventing UFOs showing up, that's WHY we don't see background noise aka stars, in most of modern NASA videos. And I'm sure I'm not alone in this conclusion.
edit on 2/2/2012 by 1AnunnakiBastard because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by wulff
I am trying to figure out exactly why this video is being called "FIRST" as the Apollo astronauts took lot of pictures and videos of the farside! (which is mentioned in the article)
Any thoughts why NASA is calling this a first?

isn't it obvious? They call this one FIRST because it IS...

Admission Apollo wasn't real

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by zorgon

NASA didn't call it the first. Fox did...in their headline. They also called it the dark side of the Moon.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

It's FoxNews. How many of their regulars are going to know better?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join