It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atlantis is....Totally OBVIOUS

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Christosterone

Actually if you look at the name itself "Tenochtitlan" you can actually maybe see the etymology
Atlantis
titlan

maybe a stretch....but there seems to be a connection there?

I don't know why everyone gets so wrapped up that an island could not disappear in a day. I mean....we all saw what happened with the Tsunami in Indonesia.....did it completely do away with it...no...but make it smaller and the tsunami bigger and I'd say it'd be gone. I think the doubt should come in with the whole "crystals, and flying machines....etc"

another thing that always got me with the whole Atlantis thing. Edgar Cayce said one time that Atlantis would rise again in the Bahamas. Of course to this day everyone says he was wrong and his "visions" were wrong...open to interpretation....has anyone ever considered the fact that "Atlantis" did in fact come back again to the Bahamas? I mean..what if the man was seeing the Atlantis resort???? come on.. someone from his time frame? Again...Just a thought.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hanslune

Howdy shadow herder, long time no read

Originally posted by Shadow Herder
The stories of Atlantis are in fact the over exaggerated, mystified story of the ancient Americas.

There are ruins yet to be found that will be older than Caral and Tiwanaku timeline. Regardless, the stories that were past down to Solon then plato were old tales of the civilization the exists beyond the ocean. The Ancient Americans.

its an interesting speculation but why would think it was there when Plato's story put it in the Atlantic just pass Gibraltar?

Most of us live on New Atlantis. Part of her main cities have been washed. All that remain are cays.

Even if 'washed away' the remains would still be there, pottery sherds are common on the beaches of the Mediterranean

According to Solon it was 8000+ years before those shards of pottery were even made let alone inundated by the rising sea level.

I dont see the possibility that the east had zero knowledge of the west. I am positive that sailors landed on the shores of America many times by accident or were shipwrecked and lost. I am sure in short time the wilds of the americas killed off the lost sailors within 1 winter.

It was probably even rarer for these ancient people to make a round trip to tell the tales. The plato story really lends credence the idea that someone in the past knew or saw some part of the Americas.
edit on 3-2-2012 by Shadow Herder because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nkinga

Actually if you look at the name itself "Tenochtitlan" you can actually maybe see the etymology
Atlantis
titlan

maybe a stretch....but there seems to be a connection there?

Research the ATLAN people who were from the area sometimes claimed to be the shores of Atlantis

I don't know why everyone gets so wrapped up that an island could not disappear in a day. I mean....we all saw what happened with the Tsunami in Indonesia.....did it completely do away with it...no...but make it smaller and the tsunami bigger and I'd say it'd be gone. I think the doubt should come in with the whole "crystals, and flying machines....etc"

The sea levels from 13000 b.c to present rose over 130 meters. There were many rapid pulses not to mention the mega-tsunamis that swelled within days or weeks. We dont know if there was a meteor strike in the ocean, super volcanic eruptions in the pacific. we just dont know....yet.

...another thing that always got me with the whole Atlantis thing. Edgar Cayce said one time that Atlantis would rise again in the Bahamas. Of course to this day everyone says he was wrong and his "visions" were wrong...open to interpretation....has anyone ever considered the fact that "Atlantis" did in fact come back again to the Bahamas? I mean..what if the man was seeing the Atlantis resort???? come on.. someone from his time frame? Again...Just a thought.

When Edgar said 'rise again' I am sure he meant it figuratively, This is roughly the time when many people started to investigate the idea that Atlantis was really the Americas. From Georgia U.S to Peru and with the hippie movement in the late 60's mysticizingf it even more so that now it has risen in many ways in the minds of people.
edit on 3-2-2012 by Shadow Herder because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shadow Herder

According to Solon it was 8000+ years before those shards of pottery were even made let alone inundated by the rising sea level.

I dont see the possibility that the east had zero knowledge of the west. I am positive that sailors landed on the shores of America many times by accident or were shipwrecked and lost. I am sure in short time the wilds of the americas killed off the lost sailors within 1 winter.

They may have but if they did - and it would take a concerted effort to do so. They had no influence either way. We know Japanese and other Asians arrived by current to the NW of the Americas but fisherman tend to make poor cultural diplomats

It was probably even rarer for these ancient people to make a round trip to tell the tales. The plato story really lends credence the idea that someone in the past knew or saw some part of the Americas

Okay what would a sailor who went to the Americas and returned at the time Plato claimed for Atlantis existing find or what would they have seen?

Would he find cities? Organized cultures?

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I liked this idea of it made some logical rational and reasonable sense

From Timaeus
Based in the Atlantic Ocean - Opposite the Pillars of Heracles* (Straits of Gibraltar) The Atlantic was then navigable Larger than Libya and Asia combined From Atlantis you could reach other islands and then a true continent *Note: Throughout Atlantis literature (there have been thousands of books written on the subject) you will see references to the Pillars of Heracles and Pillars of Hercules. Heracles and Hercules are variations on the spelling and pronunciation of the same person. He was the heroic son of Zeus and Alcmene who possessed superior strength.

From Critias Note: The unit of measurement given in translation of Timaeus and Critias is typically the stade or stadia. The conversion is: 1 stade = 607 ft or 185 meters (mile = 5280 feet so 1 stade = .11 mile) Canal From Sea Canal 300' wide, 100' deep 50 stades from the sea was a hill where the rings of Sea and Land were built (5.5 miles) Inner Ring Next ring of water was 1 stade - 600' Center land was 5 stades in diameter - 3000' (.5 miles) Surrounded on both sides by a wall covered with orichalcum Middle Ring Next set of water / land rings were 2 stades in width - 1200' Surrounded on both sides by a wall covered with tin Outer Ring Ring closest to sea and its internal land both 3 stades in width - 1800' Surrounded on both sides by a wall covered with brass Contained horse racing track Outer Wall Wall which circled the outer ring at a distance of 50 stades (11 miles in diameter) Bridges Bridges were 100 feet wide (a sixth of a stadia) Walled Towers and gates on the bridges Guarded at either end Plain Oblong, 3000 stadia long, 1000 stadia wide (330 miles long and 110 miles wide) Open to the sea on the south (where the canal exited to the sea) Surrounded by mountains to the north Ditch around the Plain 100 feet deep 1 stade wide 10,000 stade long (surrounding the whole plain) (1100 miles long) Military Plain consisted of 10 stade square lots - 1.1 mile x 1.1 mile 1.1 miles = 5808 ft there we get 33,732,864 sq. ft = 774.4 acres acre = 43560 sq. ft or 4840 sq. yd. for total of 60,000 total acres = 46,464,000 Each lot supplied 1/6 of a war chariot 2 horses and riders one pair of chariot horses, a horseman, and a charioteer 2 heavily armed soldiers 2 slingers 3 stone shooters 3 javelin men 4 sailors (for fleet of 1200 ships) Miscellaneous 5 sets of Twins - Atlas was first King Fruits hard to store but providing drink, food & oil They governed other land into Egypt and Tyrrhenia 2 harvests - one from winter rains - one from summer irrigation Orichalc, a metal unknown to Plato was mined in quantities - 2nd in value to gold Abundant timber, elephants, marshes, swamps, rivers, mountains, plains Hot and cold springs Stone was white, black, and yellow - stone was excavated from center island and land rings to form covered docking areas

traditional drawing of the plain and canal system with Atlantis at its centre. Note the wide, perimeter canal and the smaller criss-cross canals forming squares of 100 stades. Above right, Artists impression of the Altiplano with theoretical canals for comparison to LOEB map and showing the location of Pampa Aullagas where the city should be. n.b. it is the plain which measures the 3,000 x 2,000 stades and the canal system is assumed to be a regular rectangle in the LOEB drawing whereas the volcanic outcrops on the Altiplano seen on actual topographical map suggest the perimeter canal is more likely to have "wound its way around the plain" in a more irregular fashion as described in some translations of Plato.

Here is the picture that made me believe that this is its location

That looks like what plato was describing to me
at least more so then any other place on earth

www.atlantisbolivia.org...

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

The map in this thread is interesting. If you look at the shallow areas, for example in the pacific, (can't see it clear enough for the atlantic ocean) it kind of looks like it joins up with the eastern shoreline on the other side of the pacific. Makes me wonder if that sunken part is Lemuria, including perhaps the chunk the size of Ireland under the Cascadia region of North America.

I think its likely to be the same for the Atlantic area.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Atlantis is Minoan Crete.
Anything else is just silly.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

Okay what would a sailor who went to the Americas and returned at the time Plato claimed for Atlantis existing find or what would they have seen?

Would he find cities? Organized cultures?

Let's not forget Odysseus trips.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hellas

Let's not forget Odysseus trips.

Yes where our hero travels around the Mediterranean meeting some odd characters on his way home from the Troad to Ithaca.

He may have encounted (in the story) storms, vengeful gods but what would have driven him past the pillars of Hercules and across the Atlantic to meet Greek speaking monsters and people?

Good book by the way

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   

i think that plato and bacon and manly p hall and all the order of the quest folks use the story of atlantis as an allegory to a perfect Utopia (for them)

It is a republic where the peasents know their place, and everything is taken care of by elite rulers who would like to be gods.

ALL their esoteric writings confirm this....that they are building a New Atlantis here in America, that will usher in the New Golden Age FOR THE WORLD. this is their plan. These are their words, not mine. their beliefs, not mine.

They publish these little tidbits in the news to distract you from what is right in your face, everyday.

One only needs to gaze about you to see it.
edit on 4-2-2012 by rainbowbear because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-2-2012 by rainbowbear because: dang!

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by rainbowbear

They publish these little tidbits in the news to distract you from what is right in your face, everyday.

One only needs to gaze about you to see it

...and 'they' are? You avoided the question before but I thought I'd ask again as you use the term as a certainty

So 'they' are building 'Atlantis' in the US of A? But are hiding it at the same time??? This seems more like a topic for a political and general conspiracy fourm and not Ancient and lost civilizations

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   

um, yes maybe mis catagoried...but the reply was to the OP,about Atlantis.

the groud of which i speak of is a section of freemasonry called the Order of the Quest. Most of us have read some of their published works when we were in high school, however, they are an "unaffiliated" group with members like Plato, Francis Bacon, the unknown "Professor", M.P.Hall.

Have you read any of these authors?

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by rainbowbear

um, yes maybe mis catagoried...but the reply was to the OP,about Atlantis.

the groud of which i speak of is a section of freemasonry called the Order of the Quest. Most of us have read some of their published works when we were in high school, however, they are an "unaffiliated" group with members like Plato, Francis Bacon, the unknown "Professor", M.P.Hall.

Have you read any of these authors

Howdy so you think Plato was in this 'group"? Or that he was just the first to write about Atlantis?

I have of course read Plato's T & C, numerous times; went thru Bacon's New Atlantis and have seen bits and pieces of Halls stuff too over the years; The Secret Destiny of America which I found hard to take seriously

In America shall be erected a shrine to Universal Truth, as here arises the global democratic Commonwealth--the true wealth of all mankind, which is designed in the foundation that men shall abide together in peace and shall devote their energies to the common cause of discovery. ... The power of man lies in his dreams,his visions, and his ideals. This has been the common vision of man's necessityin the secret empire of the Brotherhood of the Quest, consecrated to fulfilling the destiny for which we in America were brought into being.

I presume you are using this book as the basis of 'Quest' thingy?

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by rainbowbear

So, you mean to say that Freemasonry existed at the time of Plato, for him to he a member of it??

The Freemasons themselves will beat you black and blue for telling that.

Freemasonry originated earliest by late 12th century or early 13th century. certainly not between 429 and 423 BC.

Surely you got your group wrong.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   

At the time of Plato most of the other civilizations were swinging from the trees so to speak.

There was no freemasonry
edit on 4-2-2012 by Hellas because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Speaking of Masonry check out the ancient seaport of Tyre from 332 B.C. It’s constructed in a similar fashion to Tenochtitlan. The sea port looks different today because of Alexander the Great’s siege.

The Siege of Tyre

Ancient sea port of Tyre

Modern day seaport of Tyre

The principle god Baal Hamon of the Phoenicians and Carthaginians is shown with a feather headdress similar to the Aztec style.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by lostinspace

Speaking of Masonry check out the ancient seaport of Tyre from 332 B.C. It’s constructed in a similar fashion to Tenochtitlan. The sea port looks different today because of Alexander the Great’s siege.

Ah no, Tyre is build on an island off the coast in the sea. Tenochtitlan was built on a lake. The cities* were built 5,000 years apart in time....

* Tyre probably started as just a fisherman's habitation while Teno was built from scratch as an easy to defend capitol
edit on 4/2/12 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Parta

thats the second vara.

a riding ground is a 5:2 rectangle.

the pen of geryon from cyprus

edit on 3-2-2012 by Parta because: (no reason given)

That's the vara I'd heard of. Read it while disputing the Noah story.

Do you have any links to the earlier Vara with the rings?

Never heard of it. Can you show that Plato had?

Harte

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   
atlantis was...totally allegory !

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 07:59 PM
link   

I've heard this hypothesis before. It is a bit of a stretch to think that Plato could have had knowledge of something this far from ancient Greece. It's not impossible that the Greeks might have neared the so-called "New World" but if Teotihuacan is Atlantis suggests that they knew the Americas fairly well, which, if it were true, we would have some evidence beyond just the story of Atlantis.

That all being said Teotihuacan was pretty advanced in it's heyday. Sometimes I think in the continual search for super-advanced ancient civilizations makes people overlook just how incredible our ancestor's achievements were in a lot of cases. Forget Atlantis people, open your eyes to well-documented historically verified civilizations, reality is sometimes cooler than myth

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join