It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Dad is on the NatGEO "Doomsday Preppers". And I'm proud of him!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+33 more 
posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
Greetings fellow ATS'rs,

I have seen a few threads here and there about National Geographic "Doomsday Preppers". Some folks have alot of questions, some have negative comments, and some are cheering them on.

My father is Paul. He and Gloria, his wife, are featured in "The Bug Out" one of the small previews, and they will be in a major segment of the series airing on the 7th I believe.

I started a previous thread about their video, "the bug out", but I wanted to start another one with the title of Doomsday preppers, and to specifically announce that I am PROUD OF HIM.

If you want to see "the bug out" here is a link
video.nationalgeographic.com...

While I do not live in the compound featured in the video, I am very familiar with it, and have helped from time to time in its construction. It is a very interesting place.

I do keep onhand enough supplies and ammo/weapons for a small bugout if neccesary, I do not go as far as Paul and Gloria do because it requires a substantial devotion to the prepper lifestyle that doesnt work with my current lifestyle, but I do agree with the lifestyle choice. I would not be totally surprised if they are right, and that civilization does collapse. My hope is, that if the World does end, to make it to their compound with what I currently keep in stock. I even drive an old analog volvo from the 70's with no computer components, in case of an EMP wave.

I have many fond memories of growing up as a prepper. It is a childhood filled with really interesting memories of survival hikes, drying food, weapons training and safety, and constant planning of "what if" scenarios. We even lived in a school bus at one time. It was a cool childhood.

Check the link out, and watch my Dad on the National Geographic Channel's "Doomsday Preppers."
I love him and he has always been a great dad!

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
In true SHTF scenario all you'll need to do is stay close to the Volvo in your avatar. It is truly the ultimate survival wagon!! No fancy electronics to get bogged down with.

Kudos to your dad. I will certainly be tuning in to see how Nat. Geo spins it.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   
great idea... put that much effort into something, then expose it on national tv for everyone to see.

you should ask your dad for me, what was the point?

it obviously wasnt about staying safe, because he just ruined that chance.

so im guessing it was more about "doing something" and once he had done it.. now its about bragging and showing off.

it doesnt make sense to me that someone could perceive the threat that something may happen that he should be prepared for, and yet still be entirely brainwashed into the cult of "everything i do should be broadcast to the whole world"...

does he also have a facebook page for this compound? does he tweet about its progress??

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Yes you must be proud of them both. Not only does it take a lot of work but it takes a considerable amount of intelligence to do it well.

I stay in touch with Dsarti21 who is also going to be on the series.

Looking forward to it.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by BohemianBrim

People worry too much about that old school nonsense.

Do you think if we ever do get lit up or the plates start cracking that anyone of the 300 million here will even think about anything but keeping safe?

Bottom line: If your keeping it legal then you walk tall and have no fear.

+11 more 
posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   

I expected some negative comments, glad to see you stepped up to the plate first. Congrats!

He does not twitter, and while he is on facebook, he usually uses it to keep in touch with friends and family. The truth is, he is a very friendly and outgoing person. He is very welcoming to folks who want to go to his compound, and was welcoming and open to the NATGEO people when they asked to come to his place film and add him to the show. He is a bit concerned about kooks coming and making a hard time for him, but I think that he probably felt that his message of being prepared was important. While I wont openly say where he is, anybody could find him if they looked hard enough. He is aware of the danger, and not looking to brag or boast. Thats what those who love him do.

Thanks for being a raincloud.

+7 more 
posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Not everyone is a coward. Some people feel an obligation to share knowledge in the hopes that others will survive. Anonymity is useless, after all, we live like rats one on top of another.

AX
FTNWO

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by jibeho

LOL yeah I agree. My volvo is a 1974 145 wagon. It is an amored vehicle, pretty much! Thanks

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   

Hey man, if its not for you, Live and let Live. ATS has all kinds of threads I bet one is just for you!!!

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Kudos to your parents for not only prepping, but also for sharing. There are many of us out there who want to do things to prepare for what we sense is coming, but don't always know how to do it correctly. I for one am prepping in some regard, but I'm not up on it 100% and I would welcome somebody being open enough to share what they are doing because it would help me.

Sometimes it's not about burrowing down like a hermit and hiding from the world while you prepare for its doom, sometimes it's about prepping and then sharing, so that others may survive if things get ugly. The more people that prep, the less there will be fighting to survive if something occurs. This is only common sense.

I appreciate you sharing this, I'll certainly watch it. I'm not a big fan of NatGeo, but if the program gives me some tips and shows me things I need to know, then it was a very giving and loving thing for your folks to do.

S & F!!

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by remyrange

Honesty is not negative to be honest.

Nothing wrong with this, as long as it's based in reality and not a result of paranoia based on untruths or delusions.

I've learned all that stuff in my life, but not due to any irrational fear of imaginary FEMA Camps spread by less than honest people like Jones. I learned because it's good knowledge to have and fun to do. That and growing up around farms and ranches you automatically learn to hunt, fish, grow food and I took a year of intensive wilderness survival training just because. Drop me off in the middle of nowhere and I know exactly what to do. That is a good feeling.

Some people do it because they are irrational and paranoid and believe every insane story that comes along. In that case it's destructive behavior.

For instance I remember a member posting a few years ago when the Tsunami is going to hit the East Coast lie happened. They quit their job, pulled their kids out of school and put it all in station wagon and headed west. I've often wondered how badly that hurt his family and him when he discovered it was not true.

Sounds like and interesting show and obviously you have enjoyed the life, so I can't criticize. You clearly were happy growing up and that's what matters. Thanks for the info and I'll watch for the show.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing that OP.

It never hurts to be prepared for anything.

I grew up in hurricane country in the South east and I have seen my share natural disasters.
Those of us that were prepared faired pretty well.

Those that didn't prepare were knocking at my door for help,which I gladly gave because,after all,we are all in this together.

edit on 2-2-2012 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

Thanks for that. Being prepared is the morally right thing to do for yourself family and friends.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
how did they even get on the show? I bet our bug out location is worthy of the TV world

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Nice, I hope that all goes well for them if they ever have to GO.
It is great that they can share there prep ideas with everyone. I think many will learn from it..

I also believe in OPSEC...I know that we all would wanna set ourselves up for success. I am just not sure, with all the people that will see this...I would have a hard time allowing someone to know what I have or have done...

The show looks good...but 12 hours is a long way for a true SHTF. It is good that he has taken the steps he has, to bug out.
I just couldn't see doing all that, have all the work done, the preps prepped and then just show the world...what you have...In a true SHTF...your criminal element will try to rise to the top...in every type of event I have ever read about, been in or seen(while being a stabilizing/humanitarian force).

How many people is he looking for? The area looks like where I grew up too.
All in all, I think its great that he has done so much for himself and others...but again..OPSEC. So I am a little torn.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

Apparently natgeo advertised on all the survival sites. My dad called and they came.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555

Honesty is not negative to be honest.

Nothing wrong with this, as long as it's based in reality and not a result of paranoia based on untruths or delusions.

I've learned all that stuff in my life, but not due to any irrational fear of imaginary FEMA Camps spread by less than honest people like Jones. I learned because it's good knowledge to have and fun to do. That and growing up around farms and ranches you automatically learn to hunt, fish, grow food and I took a year of intensive wilderness survival training just because. Drop me off in the middle of nowhere and I know exactly what to do. That is a good feeling.

Some people do it because they are irrational and paranoid and believe every insane story that comes along. In that case it's destructive behavior.

For instance I remember a member posting a few years ago when the Tsunami is going to hit the East Coast lie happened. They quit their job, pulled their kids out of school and put it all in station wagon and headed west. I've often wondered how badly that hurt his family and him when he discovered it was not true.

Sounds like and interesting show and obviously you have enjoyed the life, so I can't criticize. You clearly were happy growing up and that's what matters. Thanks for the info and I'll watch for the show.

Thanks man, now I know exactly how I look every time I talk bad about Alex Jones....I guess I need to fix my gig line thanks for the mirror
edit on 2-2-2012 by rebellender because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by saltdog

Trust me, I totally agree. I was initially surprised when Paul told me. I have personally felt conflicted about opsec for him as well. He and I have had a conversation about this. I get the feeling thy getting the message out is more important for him.

Also, his location is remote, so to get any problems, people would have to do a lot of forward planning to get there and hope to get in uninvited. He is a very friendly and giving person, but is a veteran green beret and can take care of himself and his own.

They give survival classes monthly. They were not under the radar as it is. Look them up on the net and if you look hard enough you will find their classes.

Thank you for expressing your concern in such a positive and informing way!

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   

You have an interesting Dad. You have every right to be proud of him.

I like the buses because as a child; my brother and I dreamed up a traveling scheme (before they had RVs you could drive from the inside, rather than tow behind you.) We wanted to travel the US in a triple decker bus and we had all the 3 levels pre-planned. We wanted a plastic blow-up swimming pool and lawn chairs on the roof that we'd pack away when driving. We were very young kids and to us, at that time, that would be cool.

Anyway, I love the goats!

edit on 2/2/2012 by Trexter Ziam because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join