It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Triple-star system may host habitable world

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigyin

Originally posted by Quantum_Squirrel

To think this is a waste of time makes you the equivalent of the goldfish sitting in the bowl , it will never know whats outside ( goldfish are not capable of complex scientific instruments lol) it is happy in it's bowl , but like all goldfish its destined to get flushed down the toilet, unless of course it could think of a way to get out.......

I can accept space exploration to nearby planets, the moon. Understanding the sun, nearby comets and asteroids which might hit us.

Knowing this stuff might help us escape death.

but what might be going on 22 million light years away ...... how does that help us ?

Its the equivilent of my goldfish worrying about whats happening at the south pole
edit on 2-2-2012 by bigyin because: (no reason given)

i understand what direction you are coming from,

But its very important just because we cannot get thier now, we may in the future , space ships, sending robots at incredible speeds or even faster than light communication ( i am hoping quantum entanglement will solve the latter of these ideas first)

when they built the first car they said going above 30mph would crush you in your seat,

Without these baby steps that scientists are exploring at the moment we can never reach the above objectives, just because something seems impossible, does not meen we should refuse to try.

P.S your goldfish should worry about the south pole its some of the nicest water on the planet! and your fish digs water a lot

edit on 2/2/12 by Quantum_Squirrel because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quantum_Squirrel

To think this is a waste of time makes you the equivalent of the goldfish sitting in the bowl , it will never know whats outside ( goldfish are not capable of complex scientific instruments lol) it is happy in it's bowl , but like all goldfish its destined to get flushed down the toilet, unless of course it could think of a way to get out.......

I can accept space exploration to nearby planets, the moon. Understanding the sun, nearby comets and asteroids which might hit us.

but what might be going on 22 million light years away ...... how does that help us ?

Its the equivilent of my goldfish worrying about whats happening at the south pole

22 light years...not 22 million light years
cosmologically speaking, thats on our doorstep.

As far as why it matters...thats open to philosophical discussion. It is important to know the frequency of life "out there" and more importantly, how normal the goldilock's type planets are within a reachable distance.

We could, if found out this planet was a sort of mirror earth for instance. Still, by our current tech, it would take over 8k years to reach there, but then you start considering things like solar sails, theoretically able to push us faster and faster until we are going...debatable, but arguably over time, near light speed, making the trip take only a few generations verses many thousands of years...aka, plausable for colonization efforts.
And thats just tech on the burner today. Imagine in 50-100 years from now our cutting edge research into space bending and the like.

Point is, its worth the study.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Sorry but I find this sort of science complete nonsence and waste of money and time which could be spent on much more 'real' problems facing mankind.

These boys could say anything at all about a speck of light that far away, how can anything they say be challenged or corroborated, and what difference does any of it make to any of us.

I couldn't disagree more. A major discovery would set this world ablaze with a new motivation and a new technological swoosh and industrial boom. It could be the best thing to get the country or even the world headed in the right direction. Space exploration is the next horizon and what we've accomplished so far equates to merely an amoeba in the evolutionary ladder.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Quantum_Squirrel

Hello friends!

Maybe the elites want do to know us where they are going after the hell broke loose when
planet x arrives.....and they runaway with fancy spaseships.....

Peace,
ekiusa

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   

We can learn much about our own solar system by studying others. At this point we are a long way from knowing whats going on here or in these other solar systems. If given the time to do its job Keppler will most likely find for us planetary systems that closely mirror our own. It is impossible to know what we might learn from a system similar to ours, however distant it may be, yet as humans we have the capability to draw important correlations between things unimaginably distant in the universe and our own tenuous existence here on earth.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
22 Light years away, so first device a space craft with such speed and only then we are in business to buy some real estate.

edit on 2-2-2012 by victor7 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1   >>

join