It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Triple-star system may host habitable world

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Triple-star system may host habitable world

www.newscientist.c om

Astronomers have found the first potentially habitable planet in a triple-star system.

The planet, unromantically named GJ 667Cc, orbits a small, dim dwarf star 22 light years away. That star in turn orbits a pair of sun-like stars that lie about as far away from it as Pluto lies from our sun. The stellar pair would shine more brightly than any others in the planet's night sky.

More than 100 planets have been found in their stars' habitable zones, where water can remain liquid. But only a handful of these are strong candidates for being rocky like Earth rather than gassy like Jupiter,
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Nice! , seriously it wont be long folks ,

Drip, Drip , drip... comes the info

i was a month off on this one i said in a previous thread of mine that this announcement would come some time in 2010.

afterall 400 planets a month being detected its only a matter of maths and time..

the odds...

and the odds that another species out thier? V(visiting us maybe not, out there 100%)

1 in 1 in my opinion.. its simple maths .. and a matter of time

www.newscientist.c om
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   
what was that one movie..desert planet type thing, two suns in the sky and it was hot as hell..the suns finally started setting and things started cooling off, just when a breath of relief (from a stranded person), a 3rd sun started rising.

Anyhow. neat news...Goldilocks zone planets are our best bet for finding similar lifeforms (frankly, there could be life on a tiny planet right next to the sun. "Its life Jim, but not as we know it".

But you seem to be all about the finding life = something cool. And it would be pretty awesome...but what else would it mean beyond academic joy?
"We have, with our new super-duper telescopes, found a full blown civilization on a distant planet...they are even humanoid and look very similar to us..and are currently going through their medieval era"

Beyond coolness factor, it doesn't mean it will somehow alter your life..not like once we find the Xorbian civilization, we can pop on over for some tea...or even have any method of communication.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Sorry but I find this sort of science complete nonsence and waste of money and time which could be spent on much more 'real' problems facing mankind.

These boys could say anything at all about a speck of light that far away, how can anything they say be challenged or corroborated, and what difference does any of it make to any of us.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

@SaturnFX, I think you're talking about the movie, The Chronicles of Riddick lol

But we're a long ways away from colonizing other solar systems. All this information is nice, but it's imperative we fix our problems here before we end up making the same mistakes on another planet.
edit on 2/2/2012 by IEtherianSoul9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by IEtherianSoul9

@SaturnFX, I think you're talking about the movie, The Chronicles of Riddick lol

I believe your correct.
Good flick.

But we're a long ways away from colonizing other solar systems. All this information is nice, but it's imperative we fix our problems here before we end up making the same mistakes on another planet.
edit on 2/2/2012 by IEtherianSoul9 because: (no reason given)

I don't see us ever being free of problems...no use in waiting around for utopia before we start building our star bridges...I think humanity would do a hell of a lot better if we have about 10-15 different planets to inhabit. self segregation towards the world you want to be in verses everyone shoved in a single room with finite resources.

I believe once we have the ability to start terraforming and colonizing other planets, we will become quite a peaceful race overall. resource wars won't be a factor (the only real factor on earth today that causes wars).

But I am an admitted optimist.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   

At no point in my post do i say finding life is cool , ace or superduper

i just said the chances are 1 in 1 imho

i actually er on the side that finding life might be a bad thing.. if evolution is true and its survival of the fittest we should be very afraid ( or maybe they should be of us)

However,

I think you are mistaken , it would change a great many peoples lives just to know complex life exists elsewhere , we might not feel so special or important anymore
edit on 2/2/12 by Quantum_Squirrel because: edit to add additional thought

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Quantum_Squirrel

What's that supposed to mean? The instruments capable of making the measurements are only relatively recent and it takes some time to gather the data necessary to produce meaningful results, or any results. If someone was monitoring our system then it would take say 2 Earth years minimum to confirm the presence of our planet and the the first detection was not an error or anomaly as well as find out the orbital period of the planet to make further calculations regarding mass and distance from the Sun. At least 3 to really confirm anything.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigyin
Sorry but I find this sort of science complete nonsence and waste of money and time which could be spent on much more 'real' problems facing mankind.

This is arguably addressing the biggest problem facing mankind...all our eggs in one basket.

As far as the science behind it, its actually quite technical and detailed. I read some explanations on it and much of it was skimming if not over my head, but ultimately its more than just guessing based on a spot of light.

Mankind will always have serious issues...while we are all pushed together on a single planet. No reason to halt all progress because of it.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Very cool. I always like to see these new discoveries. A tri-star system very cool. They found the Tatooine binary like world not too long ago and now a tri-star system.

S/F

-SAP-

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   

These boys could say anything at all about a speck of light that far away, how can anything they say be challenged or corroborated, and what difference does any of it make to any of us.

The money 'wasted' on research like this is incredibly small compared to war for instance and some of it is private funding.
The results are peer reviewed and when one instrument detects an exoplanet using one method the results are usually confirmed using a completely different instrument and method. Just because the frankly complex way in which these results are gathered boggles your mind doesn't mean it's beyond the comprehension of people who actually understand it.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by AgentSmith

What's that supposed to mean? The instruments capable of making the measurements are only relatively recent and it takes some time to gather the data necessary to produce meaningful results, or any results. If someone was monitoring our system then it would take say 2 Earth years minimum to confirm the presence of our planet and the the first detection was not an error or anomaly as well as find out the orbital period of the planet to make further calculations regarding mass and distance from the Sun. At least 3 to really confirm anything.

i meant to imply our info is slow but steady on the subject .... Not drip drip drip as in drip fed information

like i said its slow but its only a matter of time, if our maths holds up and it seems to be nicely atm

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 01:39 PM
link   

i actually er on the side that finding life might be a bad thing.. if evolution is true and its survival of the fittest we should be very afraid ( or maybe they should be of us)

Meant cool and awesome as in it would shake things up and be of massive interest. I am neutral/optimistic about life "out there" overall though..well, optimistic about any on the road type aliens moreso than primitive and ancient tribes...I think space expansion simply must alter the desires of a species past the war for resources mindset.

However,

I think you are mistaken , it would change a great many peoples lives just to know complex life exists elsewhere , we might not feel so special or important anymore

All for the better. Yes, religious nutters would stop thinking a deity will fix any and everything we ever do to this planet because we are the only unique thing in the universe.
It would do people well to feel that if we blow ourselves up, the universe loses absolutely nothing unique...may humble ourselves, and drive us also to get serious about expansion (claim our plot of the galaxy as it were before others get all the good planets.)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by AgentSmith

Nice work if you can get I guess.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   

they cant really say anything as funding relies on results ( the could fabricate results to gain funding but this research is pretty much understood by mainstream science)

They can tell from the spot of light if a planet is orbiting the spot of light by the way the light dims as a planet passes in front of it,

they can also tell what its made of by the properties of light they recieve from the dimmed area, different elements give off a different colour of light.

i think the above is correct i will admit i am not 100%

To think this is a waste of time makes you the equivalent of the goldfish sitting in the bowl , it will never know whats outside ( goldfish are not capable of complex scientific instruments lol) it is happy in it's bowl , but like all goldfish its destined to get flushed down the toilet, unless of course it could think of a way to get out.......

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

However,

All for the better. Yes, religious nutters would stop thinking a deity will fix any and everything we ever do to this planet because we are the only unique thing in the universe.
It would do people well to feel that if we blow ourselves up, the universe loses absolutely nothing unique...may humble ourselves, and drive us also to get serious about expansion (claim our plot of the galaxy as it were before others get all the good planets.)

oh lol sry m8 it seems we agree i was mistaken

btw

I think space expansion simply must alter the desires of a species past the war for a resources mindset.

that is a great sentence and should be on the wall of every space agency around the world

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   

but like all goldfish its destined to get flushed down the toilet, unless of course it could think of a way to get out.......

Getting out of the bowl is not desirable to goldfish

Especially if there are cats around.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

but like all goldfish its destined to get flushed down the toilet, unless of course it could think of a way to get out.......

Getting out of the bowl is not desirable to goldfish

Especially if there are cats around.

The goldfish with enough time and resources could devolop an anti-cat/anti air suit filled with water! , after all we need spacesuits. i hope i have not given goldfish everywhere ideas that could be used against us in the future..

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   

To think this is a waste of time makes you the equivalent of the goldfish sitting in the bowl , it will never know whats outside ( goldfish are not capable of complex scientific instruments lol) it is happy in it's bowl , but like all goldfish its destined to get flushed down the toilet, unless of course it could think of a way to get out.......

I can accept space exploration to nearby planets, the moon. Understanding the sun, nearby comets and asteroids which might hit us.

Knowing this stuff might help us escape death.

but what might be going on 22 million light years away ...... how does that help us ?

Its the equivilent of my goldfish worrying about whats happening at the south pole
edit on 2-2-2012 by bigyin because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Here's a little hint at some of things we maybe able to determine about these planets in the future:

In a new study, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory scientists and collaborators came up with new methods for deriving and testing the equation of state (EOS) of matter in exoplanets and figured out the mass-radius and mass-pressure relations for materials relevant to planetary interiors.

Placing constraints on the structure of exoplanets requires accurate information about the compressibility of relevant compositions of matter, including iron alloys, silicates, and ices, under extreme conditions of pressure and temperature.

"This sets the record straight and presents a survey of exoplanet structure information using material properties generated for, and validated using, experimental capabilities at the national labs," [lead Laboratory scientist Damian Swift] said.

source

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join