It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

San Onofre Ready To Blow Anytime

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   

SONGS (San Onofre) was shut down once for rusting of the 'egg crates' of this same steam generator. Oh, the 'crates' are just fine on the levels that are seimically most sensitive...blah blah blah IT'S A 30 YEAR OLD RUST BUCKET and that was almost ten years ago.

Now, not only are the egg crates (aka like radiator copper accordions) rusting out more and more but the damn tubes are rusted through! Its curtains for this generator. A $100 million piece of hot junk. So, it's time once again to Petition NRC to shut it down pending analysis, not only of the structurals but now also of the steam tubes themselves! This is so close to blowing all I can say is GET AWAY! The Edison Asstards will run this rust bucket until it blows, then blow town...wake up people! Of course, rusty tubes means its DEFINITELY NOT SEISMICALLY STRONG ENOUGH NOW as it was such a close call even before when it was just some crates on level nine.

PS At that time of inspection the huge rusty vaslve at the bottom of the steam generator looked bad and sure enough it was totally non operational, so what? Well it was the ECCS1 valve....soo??? ECCS1 is the main Emergency Core Cooling System #1 Valve !!! Which is supposed to open easily and automatically when needed to reflood a damaged core.. Ok, they replaced it and then turned the damn place back up 100% full blast ! Get a clue, nether science, ecology, govt regulations, inspectors nor pesky geologists cannot keep one of these evil monsters shut down, they are designed to pour out radiation FOREVER ! Get a ticket to Antarctica !

Semper Fodiens

Steve

rense.com...

Nuclear power only powers 21% of the country, it doesn't really seem worth it for the risks. This is bad news if it true, imagine the leaks that have gone unreported. Oceanside, Camp Pendelton, San Clemente are all withing that area. I live in Oceanside and surf a couple times a week lucky me now I've got three eyes sharks coming after me.
The nuclear power idea has turned the world into a mess. Not only is it the most expensive way to produce energy it's the most dangerous and deadly. They choose nuclear power because it's expensive, expensive means someones getting paid big bucks and as long as big bucks are involved nuclear power won't go anywhere.
edit on 2-2-2012 by PageAlaCearl because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Oh this sounds dire. At first I thought you were talking about a volcano, but this is much worse. It is so bloody idiotic of these people to let this thing run on in it's current state of repair.

Also, when I looked it up on wikipedia it said: San Onofre Nuclear Generating Station (SONGS) AKA: The Tits of Freedom

edit on 2-2-2012 by Mkoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Good Lord... now I recall why Rense is a site I never, ever use for a source on ANYTHING. What have they been smoking to suggest that a serious incident equals the China Syndrome or Fukushima on the California coast?! Talk about fear mongering to an extreme. There are MILLIONS of people living within conceivable effect radius of a REAL catastrophe at San Onofre. I never lived in Oceanside, but I did spend my first 19 years living a bit north of there in the City of Orange. This Nuke Plant is no stranger to driving by many times along I-5 before and after I lived there. Ya think a headline like this might scare the HELL out of people with NO basis in the real world to support it?

I know you didn't write that tripe at Rense on this topic, but that description is giving them the benefit of the doubt. I mean really. This isn't debating or over-stating the effects of a Chinese industrial accident on the other side of the planet or Fukushima, across the Pacific. This is in the backyard of Los Angeles itself. I'd sure like to see the media use some common sense and judgement in how it's presented vs. the REAL FACTS available.

This place is NOT about to 'blow'...and it isn't a creaky old piece of crap design like the GE' death traps at Fukushima anyway. It's a totally different set up and containment at San Onofre and won't fail anything like the same way. It can sure fail...but not like that, and that isn't what we're seeing anyway.

Sometimes the fear mongering is beyonf irresponsible, it's downright dangerous...and yelling FIRE!!!! within spitting distance of millions of civilian residents is the height of it.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by PageAlaCearl

Nuclear power was entrusted to us by Ra. Unfortunately, we warped its uses...that's why we've been getting somewhat consistent visits from Ra and other advanced ET's: they're trying to fix the mess we made.

Some of you are rolling your eyes, so I'll just say this: No matter what way you look at it, we were trusted with a volatile technology with massive potential for both good and bad. What did we do with it? We blew up a couple of cities filled with hundreds of innocent people to make a point.

We've abused the trust, and even those nuclear devices that aren't specifically designed to be weapons can and are hurting us.

Time to move on to another energy source. I'm sure there's some form of nuclear power that is relatively safe...and if there isn't, I'm sure there's other sources.

Down with the nuclear age.

edit on CThursdaypm575755f55America/Chicago02 by Starchild23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Very true, I was a bit shocked by it mostly because I live about 15 miles south of the reatctors. I have no way to vailidate the souce so who knows what is true. I doubt they would share that info on the news but it also could be fear mongering, hopefully nothing come of it as there is a huge population of people in this area.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Not only is it the most expensive way to produce energy

Now thats something that i dont understand here because i was under the impression that they heat up continuosly and that the energy was created from the steam created from the water cooling producing electricity?

Am i totally way off here? If i am right though then where on earth do the prices come from when we pay for electricity?

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Oh indeed, and as much as I look down at Rense for this kind of panic talk, I thank you for making a thread here. By hashing out topics here, in a free environment, at least ATS folk have some perspective and sense of what is happening before the media latches onto it and turns it into a right and proper cluster. Without that chance to debate the points and logic...we'd be left to the mercy of MSM for our facts as everyone else.

S/F on the thread...it does help to know what is out there..even if it's over the top coverage!!

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by jazz10

Not only is it the most expensive way to produce energy

Now thats something that i dont understand here because i was under the impression that they heat up continuosly and that the energy was created from the steam created from the water cooling producing electricity?

Am i totally way off here? If i am right though then where on earth do the prices come from when we pay for electricity?

Nuclear energy expensive: Kennedy
Updated February 20, 2008 20:17:00

Photo: Nuclear power has been described as 'an absurdly expensive' form of energy.Map: Adelaide 5000
The American environmental campaigner Robert F. Kennedy Junior has cautioned against adopting nuclear power as a source of renewable energy in Australia.

He gave a speech today at the Solar Cities Congress being held in Adelaide.

Mr Kennedy described nuclear energy as the most absurdly expensive form of energy ever devised and that no effective solution has been found for dealing with the waste it generates.

"I love the idea of nuclear energy if we can ever figure out a way to make it," he said.

"It's the most catastrophically expensive way to boil a pot of water that has ever been devised, and if we can figure out a way to make it economical and safe I'm all for it."

Topics: nuclear-energy, nuclear-issues, adelaide-5000, sa

First posted February 20, 2008 20:13:00

Here's some brief info on expenses of nuclear reactors...it's doesn't go into details though.

www.abc.net.au...

Here's a better article on the expenses of nuclear power
post-gazette.com...

I found this interesting as well in the article....

It is well known that nuclear power production creates the deadliest and longest living wastes known to man. The technology to safely dispose of this waste has yet to be developed and it is becoming increasingly clear that safe storage is simply impossible to achieve.

No technology to rid the waste, wow, so the theme was "let's just do it and figure out that part on the way" there is no end to the horrors they will force on people to keep power and their pocket full.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
About nuclear reactors being expensive, I have a few ideas as to why that is the case..

First off in the construction there is a hell of a lot of energy invested in the form of lots of steel and concrete (and cutting down on the construction leads to safety issues) and the energy that construction equipment expends is quite a lot as well I imagine. Coal and natural gas plants have large initial energy costs in construction as well, but their fuel source is very dense and easy to use. I don't know how much energy that refining pitchblende to get uranium uses, but on top of that to you also must enrich the uranium, which is pretty energy intensive, all though not as much as if you were making a bomb. The pumping of all that water in the normal operation of a nuclear reactor certainly has an energy pricetag as well.

And then once the fuel is spent you must spend MORE energy digging under a mountain to store the waste (once more skimping on this cost will have safety consequences) and then spend energy moving it there. I would think that nuclear energy generates enough power to get a surplus out of these actions, but i'm also sure that there are more efficient ways of getting energy.

top topics

join