It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists to Add Spider Genes to Human Genome to Create ‘Bulletproof Skin’

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Am I the only one that's slightly disturbed by the phrase...

...genetically engineered ‘spider goat‘

???

How many other creatures have they dabbled with?
(And why am I reminded of Homer's pet in the Simpsons movie???? "spider pig....spider pig...")

GTD

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by PageAlaCearl

I think the main thing we need to focus on is that these people created one of the coolest sounding animals ever thought of......The Spider Goat !

too awesome.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   
heres my take on this spider skin.

Bullet proof vests are still much thicker than the proposed spider skin. That extra mass helps eliminate a little bit of the impact or at least help to redistribute it a bit to soften the blow a tinsy bit. this spider silk derma has none of that mass so the person regardless of having bullet impenetrable skin will still be subject to the very overwhelming kinetic impact. the hydrostatic shock should still be able to shut down organs and cause death.

Some martial arts techniques will kill a person without causing mechanical damage (ie broken bones) or penetrating the skin due to the reliance on hydrostatic shock. the organs will shut down due to the shockwave on the force going deep into the body. so even though it's a cool idea to have supposedly bullet proof skin it still misses the point. your still going to die from the impact. And believe me blunt force impacts will kill you just as easily as a bullet.

posted on Feb, 25 2012 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Man wasn't the only genetically corrupted in the days of Noah...

“[Then] the sons of men [began teaching] the mixture of animals of one species with the other, in order therewith to provoke the Lord” (Jasher 4:18).

Satan and his horde can't create new life, but he can pollute through his knowledge.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by AwakeinNM
I think your headline should read "Mad Scientists to Add Spider Genes to Human Genome to Create ‘Bulletproof Skin’.

Why do scientists mess with nature like this? I guess they've run out of other things to do. We should give them something useful to do, like work on curing diseases.
Bulletproof skin would prevent malaria. How would a mosquito pierce it?

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Okay, now that's just creepy. I can just imagine some horrible side effects no one thought of. Are we going to have a human-spider mutation down the road? Anyone remember the movie 'The Fly'?

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dreamer99
As interesting as this story is, wouldn't modifying the human genome violate international law? That would mean all scientists can do is theorize about it. Thankfully, we won't see living bulletproof people in our time.

There are those who are way above the law, and unfortunately they are just crazy enough and have the unlimited resources needed to make this become a reality, if it's not already.

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I have never seen a bullet proof spider ! Show me !

posted on Sep, 24 2012 @ 09:22 PM
link   
So when you leave a dump it will still be attached? 10 times the strength of steel could be an inconvenience there.
What about when we blow our nose. could be a sticky situation. I'll skip the modification, I don't like eating flies.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join