It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists to Add Spider Genes to Human Genome to Create ‘Bulletproof Skin’

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Mods not sure if this is the right forum, I guess if the spider genes work we could have a 'Spider Man' which would make the thread fall into Cryptozoology, if not please feel free to move it to the correct forum.

Scientists are now discussing the possibility of adding silk-producing spider genes into the human genome to produce ‘bulletproof’ skin. The news comes after testing was done on bioengineered human skin that was grown in a laboratory and mixed with ‘milk’ created from a genetically engineered ‘spider goat‘. This is a goat that has been genetically tweaked to produce the same protein found in spider silk. Spider goats are transgenic creations that have two key spider genes embedded into their genetic code that enable them to weave extremely strong silk.

Spider silk is much stronger than Kevlar (the material used in traditional bulletproof vests), and scientists are now saying that it could actually be used to create an internal bulletproof skin vest. The silk is actually 5 times stronger than steel, and is one of the strongest fibers known to man. While the fibers involved with the creation of the bulletproof skin are not as strong, they are still extremely powerful. It sounds like something out of a science fiction novel, but Dutch scientist Jalila Essaidi says it will soon be a reality. While she performed tests involving the silk-embedded bulletproof skin vest created in the lab, she discussed the very real possibility of actually replacing human skin proteins with that of a spider.

The lab-grown skin fused with the ‘silk’ is currently capable of withstanding a direct impact from a bullet fired below full speed. Researchers say that the ‘transhumanistic’ idea of the silk vest could make science fiction a reality. View the video of the testing:

naturalsociety.com...

3x stronger than kevlar! That's pretty awesome and a little creepy. All they need now is a way to shoot the web from your hand.
edit on 2-2-2012 by PageAlaCearl because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
...now THAT is just awesome!

Spiderman should sue Superman for the "Man of Steel" title.

s&f

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Wow now that is really creepy...reminds me of something a character from Metal Gear Solid would have.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
I think your headline should read "Mad Scientists to Add Spider Genes to Human Genome to Create ‘Bulletproof Skin’.

Why do scientists mess with nature like this? I guess they've run out of other things to do. We should give them something useful to do, like work on curing diseases.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Heh....I bet the military cabal has accomplished this decades ago. We the civilians just love to fawn over news like this.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Then why have guns?
2nd line

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by FrankieNinja

This is probably a way of getting rid of them. If people are bullet proof, no more guns like now... and I am sure some groups have better guns to take their place...but will they be made public?

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by AwakeinNM
I think your headline should read "Mad Scientists to Add Spider Genes to Human Genome to Create ‘Bulletproof Skin’.

Why do scientists mess with nature like this? I guess they've run out of other things to do. We should give them something useful to do, like work on curing diseases.

Actually, genetic experimentation could lead to that...the problem is, the government is more interested in creating a 'super soldier', with super strength and super speed and super senses, than in curing the diseases of our nation.

Every scientific advancement is examined for its military possibilities before anything else, unfortunately.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by FrankieNinja
Then why have guns?
2nd line

I thought that, too. If everyone had bullet-proof skin, it would make guns, knives and shrapnel devices pretty useless. If you can't use guns, knives or shrapnel, how could have a decent war?

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by AwakeinNM

Yeah but diseases make money so they can't.

Now that I think of it there was a person on a MGS game that had spider like abilities (although not the bulletproof skin).

metalgear.wikia.com...

MGS's most common enemy in the first game was genetically modified super soldiers, with all the best "soldiering" genes given an extra boost in their genome. Seems this is one of those games that had a little thread of reality in it.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Then why have guns?
2nd line

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Even if bullets didnt penetrate the skin they would still do damage, skin needs to be flexable for the range of movement we require in our day to day life, so if a bullet hit our skin but didnt penetrate the skin would stretch because of the velocity of the bullet allowing it to damage internal organs without breaking the skin...... It would however make it difficult to cut someone open to opperate on these internal wounds, so you gain alil and lose a lil I guess

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by DaveNorris

Gonna have to start making diamond tipped scalpels

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I think should focus on more important stuff... such as radiation proof skin

I'm always pulled between two arguments in regards to genetics. As fascinating as this type of science is, it will inevitability have negative consequences down the road.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   
I can see a ban on raid and other sprays.......

Funny thing.....spiders breathe through their skin. Wont that make them wide open for any toxin they contact?

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by MarshMallow_Snake

a bullet in the eye would do the job still
me thinks

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
DMSO penetrates human skin enough to use it for vaccines and medicines....
We also can absorb stuff through the skin....just ask anyone who ever capped acid without gloves and masks....

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 12:20 PM
link   
As interesting as this story is, wouldn't modifying the human genome violate international law? That would mean all scientists can do is theorize about it. Thankfully, we won't see living bulletproof people in our time.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by N3k9Ni

Then why have guns?
2nd line

I thought that, too. If everyone had bullet-proof skin, it would make guns, knives and shrapnel devices pretty useless. If you can't use guns, knives or shrapnel, how could have a decent war?

We could return to beating each other senseless with blunt weapons. Or run each other over with tanks

I think that explosive concussion would still be just as good at pulping your insides. Also flamethrowers would still work

In addition, taking a bullet would likely cause a large bruise or break some bones even with this spider silk reinforcement. A bullet to the throat could collapse your windpipe, and a bullet to the skull could cause internal bleeding that kills you.

Ever hear of the MetalStorm weapons system? A nice burst from that would probably pulp you regardless.

We still have a lot of Mad Science to do before modern weapon systems cannot kill a man

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by N3k9Ni

Then why have guns?
2nd line

They would develop an aerosol to sort them out. Go to war with a handy can of bug spray

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join