It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Graffiti Love or hate it

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Yesterday saw a thread on graffiti, which got me thinking. Is graffiti a crime? Art is subjective right. I mean what looks good on my wall might not look good on your wall. So why does the government come down so hard on graffiti.

Im aware of graffiti in my city, from the trash graffiti scribbled everywhere and the wonderful murals. So my question is how can you hate the ugly and love the beautiful. Does that make us vain as a society. So with that said i did a little research here on ats and found some threads on the subject but not really a 1st persons view on graffiti.

And i found some graffiti blogs from actual graffiti artist. THESE ARE THE LINKS ....revok1.com...

jerseyjoeart.com... or this guy Mike Giant www.rebel8.com... or saberone.com... And found forums where they post their works at this site www.12ozprophet.com...

These guys seem to think outta the box. And i researched its origins here in america, and found out that it originated from early rap/punk scene in new york.

I also found a great thread on ats covering graffiti in L.A. www.abovetopsecret.com...

So with all being said what are everyone's perceptions on graffiti? Is it art or trash. Should it be srubbed off walls or leave them as modern day masterpieces.

Looking forward to here from every one.

Peace

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Well, technically no one in the universe can legitimately claim to won everything, and no one will live forever, so all claims on property are open to interpretation as we see fit.

Graffiti was technically here before anyone in the governments around the world today. After they are dead, and their nations crumble, Graffiti will still be here, and being created, and destroyed.

I love it, because it speaks truth to power.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Haites
Yesterday saw a thread on graffiti, which got me thinking. Is graffiti a crime? Art is subjective right. I mean what looks good on my wall might not look good on your wall. So why does the government come down so hard on graffiti.

Im aware of graffiti in my city, from the trash graffiti scribbled everywhere and the wonderful murals. So my question is how can you hate the ugly and love the beautiful. Does that make us vain as a society. So with that said i did a little research here on ats and found some threads on the subject but not really a 1st persons view on graffiti.

And i found some graffiti blogs from actual graffiti artist. THESE ARE THE LINKS ....revok1.com...

jerseyjoeart.com... or this guy Mike Giant www.rebel8.com... or saberone.com... And found forums where they post their works at this site www.12ozprophet.com...

These guys seem to think outta the box. And i researched its origins here in america, and found out that it originated from early rap/punk scene in new york.

I also found a great thread on ats covering graffiti in L.A. www.abovetopsecret.com...

So with all being said what are everyone's perceptions on graffiti? Is it art or trash. Should it be srubbed off walls or leave them as modern day masterpieces.

Looking forward to here from every one.

Peace

Graffiti is largely viewed as a crime because the early examples of its art showed up on property that was owned by some who WASN'T the artist.

So, the artist vandalized someone else's property.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   

Is it art or trash

Both:

Art..
It is a pretty clear cut distinction in my eyes. In a way actual graffiti art is art for sake of art and nothing more, like sand painting. Making a thing of complexity and in some cases beauty with the understanding that it has a shelf life, is non-preservable; not enduring, to me is one of the purest forms of personal expression and artistic license.

And lets not forget the powerful expressions and political statements of Banksy

Trash...
On the other hand, gang tagging and other forms of garbage graffiti is the complete opposite, it is the intentional defacement of property with malicious intent, not to mention that it looks terrible and serves no purpose outside of fueling rivalry. In a way, it is nothing more than an analogue to an animal marking territory by urinating on a tree. Its vulgar, immature, expensive, and ugly.

my two cents.

cs
edit on 2-2-2012 by clowdstalker because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 11:48 AM
link   
I recently saw several new "tags" at my local university. It's the first graffiti I've seen on campus in 3+ years of living here. I think it shows a nauseating lack of respect for other's property, and it should be removed.

If you're going to paint all over a crappy ghetto, fine w/e, but let us have nice stuff please.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
My building has been hit so many times its not funny.
The cost over the years has been expensive.

I wish for once to catch one of those little douchebags.
If I ever catch one...I will MAKE SURE they NEVER do it ever again.

Art is art...vandalism is vandalism.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Banksy is part of my argument which i forgot to mention him and shepard fairly. Bansky has been all over the globe spray painting thought provoking graffiti, but was still graffiti (other people's property) but now he bringing in millions and even big celebrities are buying his art (Angelina Jolie) and others.

so what changed for him why is his graffiti now acceptable and other graffiti is not?

And star child i realize that early new york graffiti was largly done on subway cars. the goverment own them so who where they hurting. its seems to me they where creating jobs and helping society rather than the other imho.

or

vimeo.com...

edit on 2-2-2012 by Haites because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by MeesterB
I recently saw several new "tags" at my local university. It's the first graffiti I've seen on campus in 3+ years of living here. I think it shows a nauseating lack of respect for other's property, and it should be removed.

If you're going to paint all over a crappy ghetto, fine w/e, but let us have nice stuff please.

So its okay in the ghetto but not ok at city hall, or universities huh?

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   

I didn't say it was okay in the ghetto. I just implied that the ghetto already looks trashy and I would not like to have city hall or universities look similar.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   

I didn't say it was okay in the ghetto. I just implied that the ghetto already looks trashy and I would not like to have city hall or universities look similar.

WOW okay

posted on Feb, 17 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
[yvid]

link   
[yvid]

link   

edit on 17-2-2012 by Haites because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Starchild23

I disagree, the very first instances of graffiti began on public property. Public, owned by the people who helped pay for it through taxes, so technically, you are wrong, it WAS the property of those who wrote on it.

there are unspoken (as in, its common but not written down some where) rules.

do not write on private property. (businesses do not count as private, unless they are independently owned and not a franchise)
do not write on churches.
do not write on cars
everything else is fair game.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 05:16 AM
link   
reply to post by MeesterB

a lack of respect for others property? oh, because when the building was erected the planners went around in the neighborhood / city and asked everyone if they would mind having their sky filled up with an ugly concrete box.

graffiti is pure expression, if we cant utilize the things we are paying for, then what is the point? Im sorry sir, thats public property that you paid for through taxes but i'll be god damned if you ever touch it or dont like the matte grey finish on it and want to give it some life.

Some of the best calligraphy I have ever seen was from those pesky kids who are ruining your precious grey concrete with colours and expression.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   
For something that's been around a couple thousand years or more, it certainly is a modern problem.

Personally, to me it is making your mark on posterity, and it is those who are in government, and their lack of willingness to help the youth that cause this. In every society there will be those who will flaunt the law, whether it be graffiti, street racing or theft. When you give young people an outlet to do something they love legally, they tend to snap it up in droves.

I personally haven't done a piece outside the law in 20+ years, but now use my connections to allow the kids to get their work out there legally, with legal walls and community and local government involvement. At the end of the day, it is art, and it gives artists the chance to be creative in the way they want, without fear of legal repurcussion. People will always view the art like any, sometimes they like it, sometimes they don't, but that is the nature of it really.

posted on Jun, 14 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   
hate it.

art is good
graffiti is trash

posted on Jun, 15 2012 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by lacrimosa

What is the difference exactly?

Both are forms of expression, if art isnt expression, then what is it?
Oh, wait, I forgot, "art" only exists on stretched canvas.

And music only exists when it is performed on a piano.

posted on Jun, 29 2012 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

Got to agree. I don't care how pretty it might be, if you are going out and painting on someone else's property, you are scum. I have seen some amazing grafiti style art, actually commissioned by the owner though. As long as you are not doing it illegally and costing whoever owns the property grief, I am all for it. That includes public and city property.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join