It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Piracy? The Entertainment Industry is Booming

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarkKnight76
reply to post by binkbonk

I would have to disagree, the record stores and that part of the music business were destroyed by mp3 and the like. I no longer have to go to a record store when I can just go to iTunes and download the music, for a price, right to my computer. The other thing that killed the music industry is MTV. After MTV it was no longer about the music, but the image the musicians were portraying.

Yeah, just the digital age in general killed the need for having hard media,
Its just the MPAA/RIAA that are having trouble adapting an old system to a new way of doing things.
I dont even download that much anymore, i usually rent movies off the TV now, or netflix.
Youtube for music.

I still have over 1tb of media on my computer.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I had 4 paragraphs typed and accidentally closed the window! lol

The industry has been on a decline for a LONG time but it has nothing, or next to nothing to do with piracy.. the industry was on a decline before the days of napster ( which marked the boom in online piracy )

1. The record industry

It's been dying.. the problem is that while the market has evolved around them, they continue pretty much trying to do business as usual .. the music they churn out pretty much sucks.. They were horrified at the idea that a consumer could buy individual tracks for 99 cents because in the "good old days" if you liked two tracks you had to buy the rest of the album with it .. even though the other content was generally sucky filler crap.

2. The movie industry

The huge problem with the movie industry, aside from lacking the star power it used to have .. as well as any original ideas.. is that they don't understand the market they are in .. When movie theater attendance dropped, the proper move would be to lower ticket prices to encourage people back in.. instead, they raised the prices to make up for the lack of people occupying the seats.. now it's gotten to where it costs a small fortune to take a family of four or five! The price of admission has more than doubled since I was a kid while quality of entertainment has dropped..

As for the person who made 6 figures in royalties.. Blame the greed of the industry .. I am a musician and I've seen my share of the profits drop as sales increase .. more and more people taking their piece of the pie to cover for down trends in the market.. I don't blame pirating, in fact pirating helped get me established in the first place.. I seeded my own music ..

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by DarkKnight76

You have a valid point, but if you can buy a digital download for 10 bucks, or go to the record store and pay a couple dollars more for a physical product, and the experience of browsing the store, checking out what's new... I used to love going to the record store. I don't think mp3's alone would have completely destroyed record stores like we have seen. As far as MTV goes? MTV probably caused the biggest boom in record sales ever.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by AzureSky

Look, I have first hand experience. We used to do about 500,000 units worldwide on almost every release. Now, including iTunes, we do about 70,000... Our youtube videos have millions of hits, we are not waning in popularity. We simply are not selling as much product (physically or digitally) because of the easy access to free music on the internet.

I am not complaining, just stating the facts that your original article was spin.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by binkbonk

No doubt, the music store at the mall was the first place I would always go. And while MTV def increased album sales, over time it was no longer about the music, it was about the image. And most people, I think, realized this. I am kind of out of the loop as I'm a classic rock/phishhead. So I have most of my old CDs scanned in, and I always buy all of my product straight from Phish. As much as people like to mock them, they probably have the most street cred nowadays. My girlfriend was a punk, saw and knew a lot of people in the scene from way before I met her, and she thinks Phish's model of success is as punk as it gets. They never sold out to a music label, they make the music they want and they have a huge following. And that's the thing, artists now don't really worry about what their music sounds like, IMO, as long as the image sells, and I am not talking about dedicated artists, Im talking about the big ones like Katy Perry, Gaga, etc. And the fact they all autotune and sample the s#!t out of everything, just makes me not want to buy anything. I can't remember the last time I heard new music I wanted to buy. It was probably the Hives or Andrew WK in the early 00s.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I never understood why the entertainment industry doesn't see the potential for a business model in piracy. Television, in particular, could make a lot of extra ad revenue by setting up sites devoted to streaming or offering their shows for download. Unlike pirated versions which bypass commercials completely, they could allow downloads after viewing advertisements on their site. People would know they aren't getting crap quality, or viruses, and the legality would no longer be an issue. Am I wrong in assuming that would be a win-win scenario? Or is there just not enough money in it?

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by binkbonk
reply to post by AzureSky

The music industry, as far as music sales has been destroyed due to illegal music downloads. Every single record store has gone out of business i.e.; Tower Records, The Wharehouse, Music Plus, etc..

Because digital media is far better than cds as far as music goes. What consumer in this day and age wants to lug around a cd case when you can have your entire library in an ipod? THATS why those stores went out of business. Youre gonna blame piracy for the demise of Blockbuster video too? napster / kazaa was on the forefront of this and the corp media tried to prevent this.

edit on 2/2/2012 by Question Fate because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   
the entertainment industry is too money driven anyway, thats why we have loads of crap on our tvs, radios and in the cinema. people should be passionate about theyr work and make sure its good quality instead of focusing on profit.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join