It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Major new leak at Japan's nuclear plant

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Feb 2 (Reuters) - More than 8 tonnes of water have leaked from Japan's stricken nuclear power plant after a frozen pipe burst inside a reactor buiding, but none of the water is thought to have escaped the complex, Kyodo news agency said on Thursday.

Kyodo, quoting the Fukushima plant's operator Tokyo Electric Power Co (Tepco), said the water had leaked from the No.4 reactor when a pipe "dropped off" but that the liquid had all been contained inside the reactor building.

It doesn't really matter if contaminated water leaks now, yea it's bad but there's fuel in reactor 4 that is melting down to the sea level that will eventually go into the pacific and there is no way to stop it and when that happens everyone's on the pacfic coast line will have problems.

I see this article as an attempt to down play what's really going on

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Well if TEPCO is saying that all the contaminated water is contained then all is good right??? /sarcasm.

Have the people from tepco said one honest thing since this happened? Whatever they say, it seems the opposite is usually true.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by PageAlaCearl

Well good. If it's such a tiny little problem, they can just send in a few Tepco execs with mops and buckets and clean it up, right?

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by AnonymousCitizen

Send this guy Japanese MP Yasuhiro Sonoda, hes probably already already screwed as he drank some of the water. Look how nervous he seems

www.youtube.com...

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Is there enough radiation to escape dilution through the earths largest body of water?

I think the pacific coast will be fine. Think of all the Nuclear Testing done in the desserts of America.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by trustnothing
reply to post by AnonymousCitizen

Send this guy Japanese MP Yasuhiro Sonoda, hes probably already already screwed as he drank some of the water. Look how nervous he seems

www.youtube.com...

I can´t help but give props to this man.

in weird and freaky sense that is how a politician should be.

to claim a thing is easy, to stand by your claim and prove it in front of journalists shows you have heart.

ETA:

OP got a link to the source?
edit on 2-2-2012 by kn0wh0w because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by emaildogs

Is there enough radiation to escape dilution through the earths largest body of water?

I think the pacific coast will be fine. Think of all the Nuclear Testing done in the desserts of America.

i believe it's estimated at 30-40 years worth of fuel so yeah much worse than all that testing combined into a small time frame.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by emaildogs

Dilution works but it depends on the half-life of the material going into the sea....

First, realize that it's not a matter of "radiation." We live surrounded by natural radiation. There is "radiation" in a banana. It's a matter of what kind of radiation and how much. Radioactive iodine, prevalent in water from Fukushima Daiichi's reactors, has a half-life of about eight days. That means that half of it has broken down and is no longer radioactive after about a week.

Other sources have much longer half-lives; radioactive cesium, also coming from the reactor, takes three decades to degrade by half. Complications abound; a low level in seawater can concentrate in seaweed, then move further into the food chain.

Radiation that may seem alarmingly high in water coming from the plant (definition of alarming: reports of more than 7.5 million times the legal limit of radioactivity, at its peak, according to The Telegraph) dissipates to much lower levels as it gets diluted in the massive amount of ocean water it enters. Fish, like tuna that migrate thousands of miles, would get fleeting exposure as they moved past the coast. Shellfish in the seabed locally would be more exposed.

What this means for the sea life itself is hard to judge, and legal limits mean little, because duration -- how long sea life is exposed -- means a lot. Dilution makes a big difference for sea life, compared with land animals.

articles.cnn.com...:OPINION

So basically, the leaked water = no big deal but the fuel in reactor 4 = big deal - a lot longer half life. Dilution only helps sea life. Only time will tell how bad things get but if I had to guess I think we may have only seen the tip of the iceberg.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Check out Stealthycats thread here
link

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Oh my. I think Godzilla might actually come lumbering up out of the depths with all that radiation they are dumping in the ocean.

One can only hope. We'll need help when the Mayans summon Cthulhu.

posted on Feb, 15 2012 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Yeah its a leak everybody.

top topics

join