It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange Object Lights up Dallas Sky

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
Did anyone in the Dallas area see this last night?

It appears to have been a meteor that exploded in the atmosphere.

www.myfoxdfw.com...

DALLAS - Something strange and unusual shot across the Metroplex Wednesday night, leaving many people scratching their heads.

FOX 4 viewers began calling and emailing the station just after 8 p.m. to report an extremely bright light that zipped from west to east across the skyline.

Some people said the object had a long tail and that it appeared to fall apart. Others said they heard or felt an explosion as it passed.

Police, fire and weather officials all reported receiving a high volume of calls.

FOX 4 Meteorologist Dan Henry believes based on witness reports and information from the American Meteor Society that the object was a bolide. A bolide is a fireball or very bright meteor. It explodes often with visible fragmentation and sometimes a sonic boom, according to AMS.

Kevin Palivec in Hawley, Texas believes the same. His meteor detection cameras captured images of what he called a long-lasting and slow-moving fireball.

www.youtube.com...

WFAA received more than 200 reports Wednesday night from people who said they saw what appeared to be a meteor streaking across the North Texas sky shortly after 8 o'clock.

Many people also said they heard what sounded like a sonic boom (or booms) associated with the fireball, which was apparently witnessed all the way from San Antonio to Oklahoma City.

The Federal Aviation Administration told TV station KWTX in Waco that it was a meteor.

A camera in Hawley, Texas that is designed to record the night sky shows a bright object briefly streaking across the image

edit on 2-2-2012 by isyeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 01:54 PM
link   
There was a Facebook post by our local news station - KFOR news out of Oklahoma City - reassuring folks it wasn't a UFO. Lol. There were also quite a few commenters who claimed to have heard the sonic boom.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Here's a new video.

As pointed out by Char-Lee in another thread, it sure doesn't look much like a meteorite in the video.

Possible UFO coverup?

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

It's moving so slowly, as many witnesses pointed out here in Oklahoma. I've seen meteors before and they're gone in a flash. I dunno. Maybe it was just the angle it was seen from that made it appear to move slowly?

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by isyeye

I am in central Austin and I saw it. What struck me was the somewhat slow speed. I've seen many meteorites hit the atmosphere, this looked different. It was large, and the color was an odd pale greenish blue. I love little unexpected, cosmic surprises.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Im not a expert but that doesnt look like a meteor.. I can see why they dont want to call it a "UFO" but when they come to a conclusion over night is when you know their lying. All you see is a ball of light moving how can you say its anything? Unidentified

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by klhbrown
reply to post by isyeye

It's moving so slowly, as many witnesses pointed out here in Oklahoma. I've seen meteors before and they're gone in a flash. I dunno. Maybe it was just the angle it was seen from that made it appear to move slowly?

You hit the nail on the head

Perspective/the angle is why a meteor can appear to move slowly. If a meteor is heading directly towards you, you wouldn't perceive any motion. It would just look like a new star appeared out of nowhere, brightened and then dimmed again.

If the meteor is heading not quite directly towards you, but not at a right angle in relation to you, you would not see its true velocity. You can only see the true velocity of a meteor if it's heading at a right angle in relation to you.

new topics

top topics

join