It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PA Passes HR 535 making 2012 "The Year of the Bible"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   

On January 24, 2012, The Pennsylvania House of Representatives unanimously passed H.R. 535, a non-binding resolution declaring 2012 "The Year of the Bible." The resolution states that we have a "national need to study and apply the holy scriptures," a position which clearly favors Christianity over other religions and violates the separation of church and state as protected by the Constitution of the United States.

-----------------------

A RESOLUTION

Declaring 2012 as the “Year of the Bible” in Pennsylvania.

WHEREAS, The Bible, the word of God, has made a unique
contribution in shaping the United States as a distinctive and
blessed nation and people; and

WHEREAS, Deeply held religious convictions springing from the
holy scriptures led to the early settlement of our country; and

WHEREAS, Biblical teachings inspired concepts of civil
government that are contained in our Declaration of Independence
and the Constitution of the United States; and

WHEREAS, Many of our great national leaders, among them
President Washington, President Jackson, President Lincoln,
President Wilson and President Reagan, paid tribute to the
influence of the Bible in our country’s development, as
exemplified by the words of President Jackson that the Bible is
“the rock on which our Republic rests”; and

WHEREAS, The history of our country clearly illustrates the
value of voluntarily applying the teachings of the scriptures in
the lives of individuals, families and societies; and

WHEREAS, This nation now faces great challenges that will
test it as it has never been tested before; and

WHEREAS, Renewing our knowledge of and faith in God through
holy scripture can strengthen us as a nation and a people;
therefore be it

RESOLVED, That the House of Representatives declare 2012 as
the “Year of the Bible” in Pennsylvania in recognition of both
the formative influence of the Bible on our Commonwealth and
nation and our national need to study and apply the teachings of
the holy scriptures

Daily Kos
PA State General Assembly

Even as a person who believes in a higher power, I find it absolutely crazy that the PA House passed this resolution. What ever happened to the separation of church and state? Who says I need to study the bible and why is our tax money being paid to promote this? Ridiculous!
edit on 2/2/2012 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:46 AM
link   

"national need to study and apply the holy scriptures,"

Wait, a politician is saying people need to study and apply the holy scriptures? This is like Satan encouraging people do do something that seems right. At face value you agree with the suggestion, but you have a deep suspicion that there is a sinister self serving motive for the suggestion.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Anyone who says the Christians aren't as pushy as the Muslims needs to have a sanity check.

I'm really beginning to be concerned with the overlap between church and state. I think it's worse than it's ever been. Religions are getting more and more pushy and it's time for government to push back! Unfortunately, many in the GOP Congress are evangelical nutjobs. :shk:

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by xEphon
What ever happened to the separation of church and state?
edit on 2/2/2012 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

I'm not saying what they're doing is right, but the separation of church and state isn't part of our constitution so this isn't prohibited. The only thing the constitution does is bar them establishing a state church, not studying a book.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

US Constitution Amendment 1

So long as they aren't establishing it as a state religion or prohibiting anyone else's exercises it's technically constitutional. I'm sure the ACLU and Freedom From Religion will challenge it though which is their right according to the very same amendment I just quoted.
edit on 2-2-2012 by Mapkar because: fixed a key error.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Many are proposing that 2012 is the year all incumbents get voted out of office.

If this was a Federal government BilI we would be on course for 2015 to be the Year of Dianetics, 2016 to be the Year of the Book of the Dead and by 2017 we will be forced to disavow any belief in a higher power.
edit on 2/2/2012 by sad_eyed_lady because: I

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Mapkar

No it is not. What they are doing here is tantamount to establishing a State religion. They are specifically pointing out one and choosing to endorse it, this is forbidden.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
You guys are getting carried away. They are not doing anything unconstitutional. I know it's a sensitive area for lots of people but the Constitution says "Congress (and by extension the states) shall make no LAW..." This is just a resolution, a non-binding one at that, like one naming July as National Blueberry Pie Month. It doesn't force anybody to do or not to do anything. It's the state saying that "we as individuals think reading the Bible is a good idea. Hey peeps, you should look into it, too."

If you want to fight a freedom of religion issue, fight HHS' rulings that Churches will be required to violate their conscience or pay a stiff fine. That's crossing the wall of separation. This isn't.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:39 PM
link   

top topics

join