It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hugo Chavez: Warming Americans' hearts

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by NightSkyeB4Dawn
Sounds good. Too bad it all stops when the TSA or a Code Enforcement agent decides they are having a bad day or are just bored.

Let me know which country is perfect and I'll move there tomorrow.

In the meantime...

The US is a country that's a work in progress.
We're working the on the issue.

Please excuse the mess.
edit on 2-2-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
I lived 15 yrs in Venezuela and the misinformation about there is rampant on here....

Chavez might have had stopped a TV Channel from getting their license but this TV Channel organised a coup against him, what would happen if CNN told ppl to gather in DC to overthrow Obama? would there be a CNN afterwards? specially as they were responsible for civilian deaths?

Most of the media over there are constantly talking bad things about Chavez, they are not shut down... people openly mock him and swear his name when not in support and they are not jailed.

So all this rubbish that there is no freedom over there is just a joke, in some ways I feel more free whenever I visit Venezuela than I do in the UK.

You also have to understand that the mass media over there has a lot of US influences and follow the same agenda the others do in the US (CNN/Fox/CBS/etc...) therefore is it really that hard to see how a lot of people have been brainwashed to think the worse of Chavez? his opposition are mainly middle/rich classes who can afford satellite/cable.

Venezuela arguably has the largest oil deposits on the planet... and oil is like a flame to the moth that is the US... making people believe that Chavez is a tyrant, dictator who kills his own people and blah blah blah benefits the US as they can then justify either a direct war with Venezuela in the name of freedom OR do the Libya tactic of starting an uprise against him (which they tried already) and try killing him to put their own bankers in place to rape Venezuela of its oil and other resources.

IMO Venezuela IS better off with Chavez but you wont meet the Venezuelans that have benefited as they are just starting to rebuild their lives after being in extreme poverty for so long, the Venezuelans you are likely to find are the ones that have not benefited, the ones who had a job in a US corporation that decided to pack up and leave, the ones who get all their news from the US. The poor Venezuelans benefiting wont be the ones coming online and defending Chavez because they can't due to the language barrier and many cant afford a PC/Laptop.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by mike_trivisonno
Chavez is a piece of crap Communist.

Every Venezuelan expat I have talked to despises this communist piece of dung.

Yeah, such a "piece of crap" that his government took land from the elite so it could be used to produce food for the people. Also he put medical centres on practically every block of his country, including in the slums. That's free medical, by the way.

Such a "piece of crap" that the CIA tried to replace him with a more compliant military regime, only to release him two days later after massive uprisings by his population. That's real democracy, by the way, but I guess democracy only happens in corporate America, eh?

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   
LoL wait....

So were using Hugo Chavez as a barometer on how good the US is?

Didnt people do this with Kim Jung too?

So Chavez has 200 something shelters here for political statements.........have you even LOOKED at how many we have in the US that are paid for by our own gov? not to mention the amount of programs we have and pour money into, especially this "Per capita" that you were touting?

Our foreign aid dwarfs his little shelters

He gets medical treatment out of country while he forces his own people to use the underfunded and poor facilities they have there........

edit on 2-2-2012 by ManBehindTheMask because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

Yeah, such a "piece of crap" that his government took land from the elite so it could be used to produce food for the people. Also he put medical centres on practically every block of his country, including in the slums. That's free medical, by the way.

Such a "piece of crap" that the CIA tried to replace him with a more compliant military regime, only to release him two days later after massive uprisings by his population. That's real democracy, by the way, but I guess democracy only happens in corporate America, eh?

Yeah have you seen the shape these medical centers are in and the tech they are using and the qualifications of alot of the staff?

P.s. YOu DO know how much land our gov contracts from farmers here in the US to feed not only the US but other countries.............are you even aware of how much of the worlds food is produced right here in the United States?

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xality
I lived 15 yrs in Venezuela and the misinformation about there is rampant on here....

Chavez might have had stopped a TV Channel from getting their license but this TV Channel organised a coup against him, what would happen if CNN told ppl to gather in DC to overthrow Obama? would there be a CNN afterwards? specially as they were responsible for civilian deaths?

You never watched MSNBC when Bush was president, did you?

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Oh yeah. Free. Of course the doctors require no pay, the medicine is free and so on. We all know it comes from tax money, which the people pay for. There is no such thing as free, even in countries with free medicare. You know that as well as I, dont you Dimirti, your a Canadian too.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiight. Because we all know the government is the best people to be running any business.

The governments of the world have proven time and time again they are the LEAST capable people to run a business. Why? Because a good business is an efficient business and we all know that governments are horribly inefficient.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Originally posted by Xality
Chavez might have had stopped a TV Channel from getting their license but this TV Channel organised a coup against him, what would happen if CNN told ppl to gather in DC to overthrow Obama? would there be a CNN afterwards?

You never watched MSNBC when Bush was president, did you?

Oh my...

My sides are hurting...

You know, many simply wont see it for what it is.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

My sides are hurting...

Mine too, but for a completely different reason.
edit on 2/2/2012 by The1Prettiest1One because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:13 PM
link   

And whats the west?
trying to take over Venezuelan oil, and yeah i doubt you talked to every Venezuelan.

Bush and King Obama, has done great wonders for America, just look at its image around the world.
edit on 2-2-2012 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Agent_USA_Supporter

And whats the west?
trying to take over Venezuelan oil, and yeah i doubt you talked to every Venezuelan.

Bush and King Obama, has done great wonders for America, just look at its image around the world.
edit on 2-2-2012 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

Sources that the US are trying to take over Venezuelan oil?

He didnt say he talked to every venezuelan.......or even every expat, he said every one he has talked to...

Please comprehend the statement and provide facts before posting nonsense.......

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

The worm IS the spice, the spice IS the worm.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I don't know what to make of Chavez.

Whilst I'm sure he's not the devil incarnate that some would have us believe neither do I believe for one minute he is the avenging angel and saviour of South America.
Just as the USA is not responsible for all the world's ill's as many seem convinced of.

And as for his heating programmes in the US well I'm sure the beneficiaries appreciate it but I very much doubt he has their interests at heart but rather it's a contrived effort at self-promotion and an attempt to embarass the US government.

Chavez seems to improved the standard of living for the ordinary, everyday Venezuelan but that is tempered by his less than perfect record on civil liberties etc.

I do find the attitude of many Americans regarding any leftist policies quite baffling and contradictory to their alleged belief in freedom of speech.

Personally I'm all for a little bit of wealth distribution to stir things up a bit.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by The1Prettiest1One
reply to post by beezzer

Captain Chavez FTW! Don't forget that Q was to assist Picard in destroying humanity because of us, right here, right now! They only got to survive because they became kind of commie in a NWO.

Correct me if I'm wrong but who exactly was one of the first person Obama went to see early on in his "Presidency"

The Borg?
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/52af45170224.jpg[/atsimg]
edit on 2-2-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by The1Prettiest1One
reply to post by Agent_USA_Supporter

The worm IS the spice, the spice IS the worm.

OMG! A Dune reference!
*geekgasm*

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
Correct me if I'm wrong but who exactly was one of the first person Obama went to see early on in his "Presidency"

You are incorrected. As I recall, he got a new dog and went to a book signing.

The Borg?

The Borg, LLC.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by SkurkNilsen

He is a communist and the poor are weak toward communistic ideas such as nationalized health care, subsidized housing, fuel, groceries, etc. If you want a clear picture of how Chavez is ruining his country take a look at America's average income and his people's average income. Yes, he can put on a show for a while, but in the long-term he will fail. That woman you mentioned bitching over the cost of heating, she should have no reason to bitch. With that many kids and grandchildren, they should all be helping to take care of her. What she should be bitching about is the breakdown of the American family system. I know my mom is about that old and also poor, but everybody is always making sure she has what she needs.

You can try and flaunt communism, but all you really have to do is take a look at the CIA's fact book and see how those communist countries really stack up. They don't stack up, then tend to crumble and fall.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by The1Prettiest1One

Umm read and comprehend grasshopper, what the man said was who was the first person Obama saw???? And gave him his very own copy of the "best selling"
biography! I digress, using Chavez to contrast with US aid is kinda, no it is stupid. Comparing the sizes [
] of the respective countries you see Venezuela is a bit tiny compared to the US. Same thing w/Norway and the other cited charity nations. So using % is a bit off. 65% of 10,000 is a lot different from 65% of 1,000.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by miniatus

Originally posted by SkurkNilsen
US foreign aid summary

I would also remind everyone that one third of US foreign aid goes to Israel and Egypt.

edit on 2-2-2012 by SkurkNilsen because: added link

Also .. the article I sent you seems to disagree with this... one of the largest recipients of American aid is Afghanistan .. 4,646.50 million .. vs isreal which got $36.30 million in 2010 .. Isreal is actually very low on the list in terms of dollars .. egypt got $397.00 million .. also very low on the list.. but far more than Israel .. even combined those two rank low on the list..

Your information seems off .. by a large amount .. unless you refer to collectively over a long period of time? .. but you only provided one statistic that was years old
edit on 2/2/2012 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

You forgot to mention Military Foreign Aid from your own source, you only mentioned economic aid.

Here's the link you posted;

Source

Israel - $2,799.5 million military foreign aid (+$36.3 million economic aid you already said)
Egypt - $1,301.9 million military foreign aid (+$397 million economic aid you already said)

So SkurkNilsen's point was valid.

And you'd think the reason Afghanistan got the most foreign aid was cause the US kinda blew it up?

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by hangedman13
reply to post by The1Prettiest1One

Umm read and comprehend grasshopper, what the man said was who was the first person Obama saw????

I'm no grasshopper. What he said was "one of the first" (does that really makes sense anyway, when you really parse it thoughtfully, sort of like "most unique", one might say?) and didn't even answer it but instead posted a picture of Obama and Chavez.

And gave him his very own copy of the "best selling"
biography!

Ah, yes, that was the book signing. I think he saw his own reflection first though.

I digress

I egress.

using Chavez to contrast with US aid is kinda, no it is stupid.

Stupid is fun though.

Comparing the sizes [
] of the respective countries you see Venezuela is a bit tiny compared to the US. Same thing w/Norway and the other cited charity nations. So using % is a bit off. 65% of 10,000 is a lot different from 65% of 1,000.

Wanna make a bet? How about $10,000? 65% of 10,000 leaves 3,500 and 65% of 1,000 leaves 350. The latter is more generous.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join