It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

USS Ponce For Iran

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
reply to post by SLAYER69

If that pipeline is destroyed, it will hurt pakistan more than it will hurt Iran, and they have nukes. Also how do you expect the navy to defend the oil tankers from navigating the straight? Those ships do not have any defensive weapons on board which would force the Navy to be close to the strait.

Take control of 60 miles of the shore line should do it just fine. And knock out any artillery and or missile batteries that can hit further while installing missile defense batteries on the controlled area.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   

reply to post by sonnny1

Just like how they brought down our drone? Embarrassing

I am pretty sure YOU were NOT embarrassed by this.

Somehow I think you might be secretly cheering for Iran,but then again,I might be mistaken......

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Cheering for the NY giants actually lol

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

I don't know whats more embarrassing.

Bringing an expendable/disposable drone down [Which is the whole purpose of their existence in the first place] or the fact that they couldn't bring it down [If in fact they did bring it down and wasn't the result of mechanical failure which is still being debated] until after it had already penetrated over 150+ miles into Iranian airspace.

Makes you think eh?

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 11:28 AM
link   

What if they let it get into the airspace to allow easier take-down? What if they were not detected up until they got well within the area? Just because it is disposable does not mean that there is not technology to be learned. US has lots of airspace violations like when the Mexican helicopters flew into texas and nothing happened. The US flies drones into pakistan and nothing happens.

So yes it is embarrassing to the USA; why was obama on his knees begging for it back? Also it is a big achievement for a nation that does not have a large economy and has been taking on sanctions for a lot a time.
edit on 112929p://2America/ChicagoFri, 03 Feb 2012 11:30:39 -0600 by THE_PROFESSIONAL because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Well considering the ineptitude of our potus in regards to military matters taking down one our drones was bound to happen. The military for him is all about the press coverage. My biggest concern is the fool getting our SEAL's killed for his poll numbers. That being said when it comes to actual military action Iran just can't compete. Because when it comes to that they will already be under sanctions which means they will be feeling the crunch both financially and in processed crude. How long could they carry out military operations without diesel fuel? Hamster powered subs? India and Russia are too far away to actually help, then the people will get antsy.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   

So yes it is embarrassing to the USA; why was obama on his knees begging for it back?

Come on now........

Obama bowing and begging is commonplace.......

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 11:47 AM
link   

What if they let it get into the airspace to allow easier take-down? What if they were not detected up until they got well within the area?

Lots of "What Ifs" there.

What if the US sent in a "Disposable" stripped down model to test Iranian airspace? What if the Iranians after going over the craft realized it was nothing more than a stripped down Glorified RC probe [Which again made it over 150+ miles into their airspace]

We could play the What If game all day.

Just because it is disposable does not mean that there is not technology to be learned.

True, I understand from reading your many posts that you think the US military are a bunch of ignorant boobs when it comes to their Jobs [WAR] but did it ever occur to you that they knew full well that this scenario could happen? Wouldn't it be prudent to strip a model down for just such a case?

US has lots of airspace violations like when the Mexican helicopters flew into texas and nothing happened. The US flies drones into pakistan and nothing happens.

Exactly, yet None are viewed as an act of war. But do it to Iran and all the WW-III cheerleaders and Iranian apologists come crawling out of the woodwork here at ATS and scream Doomsday.

eh?

So yes it is embarrassing to the USA; why was obama on his knees begging for it back?

I'm no Obama fan but he wasn't on his knees. That's your overzealous spin on things [As Usual]. What did you expect the administration to do or say? YAWN of course they'll have asked, "Give us back our disposable toy". They had to acknowledge the incident. Not that getting it back really mattered I'm sure we have more

Also it is a big achievement for a nation that does not have a large economy and has been taking on sanctions for a lot a time

Big achievement?

The Wikileaks

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   

From the british perspective it can't be more embarrassing than calling a warship 'ponce'.

In UK slang a 'ponce' is either a pimp or a man that behaves in an effeminate manner.

I bet thats started a few bar room brawls

Not that we can really say anything what with "HMS Beaver" in the fleet....
edit on 3-2-2012 by justwokeup because: typo

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by justwokeup

Didn't you Brits coin the phrase "Yanks" a derogatory term at the time

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Considering this is RT this is what you get when you gut defense Clintons massive military cuts led to the higher usage of "contractors" in Iraq and Afghanistan and other countries now the additional gutting of the us military done by the current potus the usage will increase even further.

Careful what you wish for contractors can't be put on a leash like the Us military pat yourselves on the back this is the world you created.

Outsourcing of the military in more ways than one and sigh another "Iran War thread". which we have heard for the last decade all i can say, " Are we there yet?" I'm waiting.

And besides Panetta says Isreal is going to attack any second now still waiting.

Blah.
edit on 3-2-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
the thing most of you don't understand about the iranian navy is, they only have a few sub's and actual engagement vessels, ie destoryers or other ships, they don't have carriers or any of the electronic countermeasures the US navy does

also the US navy isnt just going to sit off the coast so they can be ambushed by small crafts like zodiacs or speed boats, they'll be out in open water miles off the coast making it much harder for those small craft to get to them and alot easier for the navy to pick them up and destory them

posted on May, 13 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   
USS "please Iranians, sink me, i am scrap metal" Ponce is exercising in the gulf again.

May 13, 2013 "ABOARD THE USS PONCE IN THE PERSIAN GULF — An international mine countermeasure exercise involving 41 countries is underway in the Persian Gulf, involving approximately 6,000 sailors and 35 ships. [...] But despite the political tensions between Washington and Tehran, Miller insists that the exercise does not target Iran."

www.stripes.com...

This time it is sold a little more aggressive as a "future laser weapon test bed"... Dear Mullahs, if you dont sink it now it will grill your navy tomorrow!

en.wikipedia.org...

In WW2 Hitchcock made nice propaganda films, why do they hire c movie script autors now?

posted on May, 15 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by hangedman13
How long could they carry out military operations without diesel fuel? Hamster powered subs? India and Russia are too far away to actually help, then the people will get antsy.

Diesel? lol really? , i think Iran has enough fuel .... weapon parts( although they are increasingly self sufficient with home grown industries from reverse engineering) Ipods, grain, tomato ketchup, maybe a problem under sanctions, fuel in the oil field that is iran is not a problem... as for processing crude it is not complicated and they can and do do it themselves, heck i could do it ..

posted on May, 19 2013 @ 12:17 AM
link   
The USS Ponce is one of the oldest and least capable ships the Navy has. By next year, she will be the only remaining active ship of her class. Which is why she is being used as a test bed until her eventual mothballing.

As soon as the Navy's new Mobile Landing Platform ships are done, her days are numbered. We have newer Whidbey Island and Harpers Ferry Class '___'s and the San Antonio Class LPD which can all serve the same role as an old Austin Class LPD much more effectively.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join