It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who or What is God to You?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by InsideYourMind
To me, god is nothing more than a word. A word used to categorize the unknown into the simplest explanation for our existence. The term "god" can be used to explain something which is too powerful for us as humans to understand, we don't have the slightest clue as to what happens in this universe or why it exists, this is why "god" is used to explain what we do not know. This is where i believe the word originated, as an explanation for the unknown.

For example in ancient times, a meteorite could have flown across the sky, to the peoples knowledge then, they wouldn't have the slightest clue, essentially stating "god did it". Because it helps people to not become confused about things they do not understand.

God does not exist as a personal guide or creator, there is no basis to assume that is the case. I do not know of anyone who has claimed to have seen, experienced, felt, or even heard of this god with anything to back it up.

To deny the existence of something which cannot be seen, heard, felt or touched is logic. Until someone arranges a meeting with this "god" it will be nothing more than a word to me.

Arguably some may be offended by my views, but to be totally honest, i become offended when people tell me i need to be saved, or i need to waste my life putting hope into faith or suffer the consequences of hell.

You only live once.

You could have saved time and space to have just said "I believe in Anathema".

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

For some of us it is so evident what Jesus's message was. How many times can one say I am the son of God and it STILL get twisted as to think he was "implying" he was God?

Oh, because he says "I AM" about 99 times during his ministry. It's kinda hard to confuse who I AM is.

John 8: 54-59

54 Jesus replied, “If I glorify myself, my glory means nothing. My Father, whom you claim as your God, is the one who glorifies me. 55 Though you do not know him, I know him. If I said I did not, I would be a liar like you, but I do know him and obey his word. 56 Your father Abraham rejoiced at the thought of seeing my day; he saw it and was glad.” 57 “You are not yet fifty years old,” they said to him, “and you have seen Abraham!” 58 “Very truly I tell you,” Jesus answered, “before Abraham was born, I am!” 59 At this, they picked up stones to stone him, but Jesus hid himself, slipping away from the temple grounds.

The Father was gloryfing the Son, testifying that Jesus is I AM. Who did Abraham call God? Who did Abraham walk with and talk with? What day is the Lord's Day? The sabbath and here Jesus is saying it is his day. Jesus is the creator and what created you is your God. Jesus is called "the Lord", the hebrew name of God is Yahweh, and Yahweh means "the Lord". Get it?

The reason the jews wanted to stone him was he claimed to be I AM. Jews didn't just run around stoning people for no reason. Blasphemy was a huge reason and here if Jesus was saying this it would be blasphemy.
edit on 4-2-2012 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon
reply to post by chr0naut

I do not deny anything about who he was... as i've said i know exactly who he was...

I simply don't assume he said something he did not.... And he did not claim to be God... ever

He is never quoted as having claimed that He was Jewish, male and air-breathing, either.

Do you therefore also deny that He was an air-breathing Jewish Male?

He never claimed that He was not God. If He wasn't and yet He let others treat Him as if He was God, he'd be hypocritical, so being a person of high moral fibre, He should have corrected the erroneous attitudes of His disciples, shouldn't He?

Use a little logic please.

edit on 4/2/2012 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
reply to post by Akragon

And this holy spirit God is just fabrication....

Really? It's Christ's "fabrication" then. He promised His Holy Spirit to indwell believers. And the Holy Spirit came at Pentecost.

The "Holy spirit" comes at birth my friend... we learn to deny what is written in our hearts...

13Then were there brought unto him little children, that he should put his hands on them, and pray: and the disciples rebuked them.

14But Jesus said, Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven.

Perhaps they give the "Holy Spirit" and the "Kingdom of Heaven" different descriptions, because they are different things.

Please feel free to look up the meanings of the words in any dictionary. Just do one word at a time. You can read at your own speed, see it isn't hard.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 12:41 PM
link   

edit on 4/2/2012 by chr0naut because: My first accidental double post. How did that happen?

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by chr0naut

I do not deny anything about who he was... as i've said i know exactly who he was...

I simply don't assume he said something he did not.... And he did not claim to be God... ever

He is never quoted as having claimed that He was Jewish, male and air-breathing, either.

He never claimed that He was not God. If He wasn't and yet He let others treat Him as if He was God, he'd be hypocritical, so being a person of high moral fibre, He should have corrected the erroneous attitudes of His disciples, shouldn't He?

I think the problem is alot of people, when they read the bible they do not ask themselves questions after they read something. Pertinent questions like "who is saying this and from what perspective", The veritable who, what, where, when, why and hows. Everytime i read a verse i stop and think about the meaning of what i just read and then watch the rest of the chapter unfold in a kind of revelation.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Typical christians... find someone that doesn't agree with your beliefs... then start throwing petty insults around when you have no arguements...

LMAO!!

I'll deal with you people after work...

peace

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   

reply to post by Akragon

The "Holy spirit" comes at birth my friend...

[
Then why did Jesus proclaim that a person must be born again of the Spirit in order to enter the kingdom of Heaven? That statement would be utterly meaningless if everyone was born-again "at birth". Once resurrected, why did Christ tell His apostles that it was expedient for Him to leave so that He could send the Holy Spirit? That likewise, would be an utterly meaningless statement if everyone was born-again of the Spirit at birth.

What I think Jesus is taking about is that you have to wake up from the dream/conditioning and be allowed to connect to god so you can be one with him. He is right if he means to be in heaven at the same time as his body is on earth while being alive. But I do not belive all that go to heaven will experiance the state of heaven when they are alive. If it was the other way then the road to heaven is very small and I mean in the numbers of 1 in 10000 and that would be very sad. Maybe also a new born has the holy spirit in him/her for a while until the child is conditioned to lose it. Namaste

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000

I think the problem is alot of people, when they read the bible they do not ask themselves questions after they read something. Pertinent questions like "who is saying this and from what perspective", The veritable who, what, where, when, why and hows. Everytime i read a verse i stop and think about the meaning of what i just read and then watch the rest of the chapter unfold in a kind of revelation.

Yes, that's basic hermaneutics. Some people though think that's a curse word.

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

New Living Translation (©2007)
why do you call it blasphemy when I say, 'I am the Son of God'? After all, the Father set me apart and sent me into the world.

hahahaha. It seems this translation make me think of Jesus being removed from the whole (set apart form the whole) and sent to earth. Makes me think of Brahman in In Hinduism that hindus are working on becoming a part of.

en.wikipedia.org...
For this reason, "ekam sat" ("Truth is one"), and all is Brahman. This explains the Hindu view that "All paths lead to the one Truth, though many sages [and religions] call upon it by different names."

The law of one. All is one. Namaste

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000

reply to post by Akragon

The "Holy spirit" comes at birth my friend...

Then why did Jesus proclaim that a person must be born again of the Spirit in order to enter the kingdom of Heaven? That statement would be utterly meaningless if everyone was born-again "at birth". Once resurrected, why did Christ tell His apostles that it was expedient for Him to leave so that He could send the Holy Spirit? That likewise, would be an utterly meaningless statement if everyone was born-again of the Spirit at birth.

edit on 4-2-2012 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

Thats another facade of Universalism, just another face on that ugly beast. There's the "all roads lead to heaven" doctrine and when that fails they pull the "original sin is false" doctrine, which anyone thats ever read the bible and was a believer understands is straight from the mouth of Lucifer.
edit on 4-2-2012 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

Since I look at a souls evolution from a larger perspective of a billion years of reincarnation you will probably get it right at some point even if you will play around with ego for a long time. I do not belive in the origional sin as it is in the bible, at least not in the same context. The only sin we have is the sins of our older generation and that sin is for me the conditioning/system we are being taught that gives us ego, fear, prejudence, hate. If we where taught in a more enlightened system we would be more harmonious. But there is a backside to this and it is you would not get any restistance to do the right thing and therby not evolve as rapidly. Namaste

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

Uh, i think you need to go reread the book of Acts, i recommend starting with chapter 2.

Uhh... i think you need to NOT assume what i need to read...

Its not needed, but thank you just the same...

If we're born with the Holy Spirit then Pentecost was a lie and youre anti-christ.

That is your judgement... and you are welcome to it... Unfortunatly you do not know what is in my heart OBVOIUSLY
... IF you knew me you would not say such things... you could not deny who i am...

According to most christian theology, Pentecost is whent he church was established... I do not trust ANY church on this planet... Nor am i christian, or Jewish for that matter... i have no need for your rituals, feasts or ceremonies...

Though you are free to enjoy them....

Youre twisting scripture to suit our own ends and you leave out anything that is even relevant to the subject.

Unlike you i have no agenda... im only here to clairify...

and saying i "leave out anything relevant to the subject" is an obvious lie... something i see you've grown accustomed to...

edit on 4-2-2012 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 4 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   

reply to post by Akragon

And this holy spirit God is just fabrication....

Really? It's Christ's "fabrication" then. He promised His Holy Spirit to indwell believers. And the Holy Spirit came at Pentecost.

The "Holy spirit" comes at birth my friend... we learn to deny what is written in our hearts...

13Then were there brought unto him little children, that he should put his hands on them, and pray: and the disciples rebuked them.

14But Jesus said, Suffer little children, and forbid them not, to come unto me: for of such is the kingdom of heaven.

Perhaps they give the "Holy Spirit" and the "Kingdom of Heaven" different descriptions, because they are different things.

Please feel free to look up the meanings of the words in any dictionary. Just do one word at a time. You can read at your own speed, see it isn't hard.

Aren't you amazingly witty...

Are you proud of yourself?

Considering i wasn't talking to you, perhaps you might look up the word Troll...

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Yes lets be rediculous about this shall we...

He didn't claim to be a donkey either... likely because it is obvious. As this should be... It makes me wonder sometimes.... why do christians claim that title when they do not even know who their christ is?

Gandhi had the right idea.... "like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."

Read...

18And a certain ruler asked him, saying, Good Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?

19And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? none is good, save one, that is, God.

Notice he did not claim to even be good... how could he claim to be God?

Corrected said erronous attitude...

edit on 5-2-2012 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by MamaJ

Do you not know who the Glory of God is? Jesus is his glory. His Glory came down from heaven and armored himself in righteousness. God's Glory is his light, and he is the light of the world. This is what the Holy Spirit was testifying to when Jesus began his ministry.

Jesus is also the right arm of God, which is why he sits at the right hand of the Father. Jesus said "i and my Father are One" and he meant it both literally and spiritually.

BEHOLD, the Lords hand is not shortened, that it cannot save; neither his ear heavy, that it cannot hear: Isaiah 59:1
But your iniquities have separated between you and your God, and your sins have hid his face from you, that he will not hear. Isaiah 59:2

Yea, truth faileth; and he that departeth from evil maketh himself a prey. And the Lord saw it, and it displeased him that there was no judgment. Isaiah 59:15

And he saw that there was no man, and wondered that there was no intercessor: therefore his arm brought salvation unto him; and his righteousness, it sustained him. Isaiah 59:16

Paul noted that God "removed His Glory" and Isaiah notes that:

He put on righteousness as his breastplate, and the helmet of salvation on his head; he put on the garments of vengeance and wrapped himself in zeal as in a cloak. Isaiah 59:17

God would come to pour out wrath upon His enemies with His Spirit. This is the same image as the creative process, the Flood event and the Red Sea event:

According to what they have done, so will he repay wrath to his enemies and retribution to his foes; he will repay the islands their due. Isaiah 59:18

From the west, men will fear the name of the LORD, and from the rising of the sun, they will revere his glory. For he will come like a pent-up flood that the breath (SPIRIT) of the LORD drives along. Isaiah 59:19NIV

And then there's the classic:

John 1:1-13
1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2 He was with God in the beginning. 3 Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4 In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. 5 The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome[a] it.
6 There was a man sent from God whose name was John. 7 He came as a witness to testify concerning that light, so that through him all might believe. 8 He himself was not the light; he came only as a witness to the light.

9 The true light that gives light to everyone was coming into the world. 10 He was in the world, and though the world was made through him, the world did not recognize him. 11 He came to that which was his own, but his own did not receive him. 12 Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God— 13 children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God.

Revelation 1:7-8
7Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen.

8I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.

Yahweh in hebrew means "the Lord". Jesus is also called "the Lord", so when the apostles referred to Jesus in the vernacular, they were calling him Yahweh "the Lord". By the apostles own mouths they called him Yahweh which to a nonbelieving jew is blasphemy. In the hebrew Torah Yahweh promises that he will save them, which is why the jews to this day ignore Jesus, because theyre expecting God himself which is the irony because they missed Yahweh "the Lord" 2000 years ago. That whole hebrew stiffnecked pride thing clouded their vision.

Then there's the whole thing with Jesus being Immanuel (whom judeo-christians say is Jesus' true name) which means "God with us".

Look up:

John 8:54-58
Matthew 12-1-8

The whole Triune God thing comes from man being made in God's image, and we have a body, spirit and soul. Because we're the image of God then he too has Body, Spirit and Soul. Father=Soul, Son=Body=Spirit=Holy Spirit. In essence that makes Jesus the second Ark. Theyre all a part of the same whole, the Godhead and equal in power and the only thing that can be equal in power to God is God himself. Jesus and the Holy Spirit are just parts of himself. Jesus wasn't lying when he said "the Father and I are One", he meant it literally and spiritually.

This may help:

is Jesus God?

This is nothing new, Jesus being God has been taught since the Apostles, because they were teaching it themselves and they had the Holy Spirit guiding them.

John 8:12
Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.
edit on 5-2-2012 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   

He didn't claim to be a donkey either... likely because it is obvious. As this should be... It makes me wonder sometimes.... why do christians claim that title when they do not even know who their christ is?

Gandhi had the right idea.... "like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."

Read...

18And a certain ruler asked him, saying, Good Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?

19And Jesus said unto him, Why callest thou me good? none is good, save one, that is, God.

I'd like to know the exact book and chapter i can find that because i want to read the entire chapter which sets the context. You drop 2 verses and leave no book or chapter, how shady is that?

Oh and BTW, incase you have forgotten. Jesus has ascended and regained his Godhood. I find it humorous that you ignore all the pertinent information and only pay attention to what you want instead of the entire new testament as a whole which is the testament of Jesus the Christ.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Unlike you i have no agenda... im only here to clairify...

That right there is a lie. Everyone has an agenda. Youre not trying to clarify anything youre trying to cast doubt on the nature of the Messiah and his Divinity.

Uhh... i think you need to NOT assume what i need to read...

Yeah you clearly need to read the entire book of Acts and i recommend Romans after that, there is no assumption in that because youre clearly missing the message about who Jesus is. The same message that has been written throughout the entire bible both old and new testaments.

According to most christian theology, Pentecost is whent he church was established... I do not trust ANY church on this planet... Nor am i christian, or Jewish for that matter... i have no need for your rituals, feasts or ceremonies...

The Church is a spiritual brotherhood, it isn't a physical organization, entity or building/structure. Those "churches" are places where we can congregate and worship and fellowship with eachother, which is what Christ wanted us to do. Pentecost didn't establish the Church, the Church began when the first disciple began to believe in the truth of Christ and believe in him and it fully culminated when the disciples saw Jesus after he resurrected and saw he was alive and fully healed. Pentecost was the fulfilling of a promise that the Apostles and future believers in Christ would recieve his Holy Spirit to dwell in them which makes Jesus who? Right, it makes him God and also makes him omnipresent which in turn again makes him God. Before you could recieve the Holy Spirit you have to believe, you don't get one without the other.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Read...

Or He was leading the rich young ruler to make the logical connection that if Jesus was good, it was because He was God.

Jesus never claimed to be evil (which is the definition of 'not good'), it doesn't fit His MO.

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by lonewolf19792000

That right there is a lie. Everyone has an agenda. Youre not trying to clarify anything youre trying to cast doubt on the nature of the Messiah and his Divinity.

That is not a lie... i have no agenda... and i don't "cast doubt" on who he was... He was the son of God, and his divinity is obvioius....

As a "missionary baptist" you clearly do have an agenda...

Yeah you clearly need to read the entire book of Acts and i recommend Romans after that, there is no assumption in that because youre clearly missing the message about who Jesus is. The same message that has been written throughout the entire bible both old and new testaments

Incorrect...

As i've stated many times... I KNOW who he was...

Perhaps instead of listening to others... you might consult HIS words on the subject...

Son of God... his words....

Jesus was God... your words... pauls words... Not his words

posted on Feb, 5 2012 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Read...

Or He was leading the rich young ruler to make the logical connection that if Jesus was good, it was because He was God.

Jesus never claimed to be evil (which is the definition of 'not good'), it doesn't fit His MO.

Clearly you have issues with reading... thats a shame...

Why callest thou me good? NONE is good, save ONE, that is, GOD...

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join