It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who or What is God to You?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical

Sure, that's amazing, but that doesn't make us God. He created the distant stars by a single spoken sentence. We hope and dream to be able to visit them someday. lol

Perhaps that "single sentence" is code. God is a programmer. In a matter of decades we've traversed computing technology to create; art by compiling data in a variety of ways. 2d & 3d. 3d rendering is advancing quite fast, although it heavily depends on hardware. We're already looking at 1Thz/1000+ core processors on the horizon, and what lies beyond that....soon we'll be simulating universes or confined virtual spaces for a conscious AI to develop.

And they will ponder on these very same philosophical questions. Some will resort to a dogmatic monotheistic presumption like you have. Others will thrive spiritually & look for the answers.

edit on 2-2-2012 by Raelsatu because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Christ was NOT bashful about WHO AND WHAT HE WAS.

And, His Resurrection rather sealed the deal, in terms of proof.

THESE are my convictions on the matter . . . re

Jesus The Christ:

REFS & topic:

Alpha and Omega /Rev 21:6

Bread of Life/John 6:35

Bridegroom/ Matt 9:15

Chief Cornerstone/Eph 2:20

Chief Shepherd/1 Pet 5:4

Christ/Matt 16:16

Firstborn from the Dead/Col 1:18

Good Shepherd/John 10:11

High Priest/Heb 3:1

Holy One Of God/Mark 1:24

Immanuel/Matt 1:23

Jesus/Matt 1:21

King of Kings Lord of Lords/Rev 19:16

Lamb of God /John 1:29

Light of the World/John 9:5

Lion From The Tribe Of Judah/Rev 5:5

Lord/Rom 10:9

Lord of Glory/1 Cor 2:8

Mediator/1 Tim 2:5

Messiah/Matt 16:16

Prophet/Luke 13:33

Rabbi-Teacher/John 3:2

Savior/John 4:42

Son Of David/Matt 9:27

Son Of God/John 20:31

Son Of Man/Matt 20:28

The Most Important Stone/ Eph 2:20

The One Who Raises Dead To Life/ John 11:25

The Word Of God/ Rev 19:13

Word/John 1:1

I am the Bread of Life/John 6:35

I am the Light of the World/John 8:12

I am the Gate for the Sheep/John 10:7

I am the Good Shepherd/John 10:11,14

I am the Resurrection and the Life/John 11:25

I am the Way, The Truth and the Life/John 14:6

I am the True Vine/John 15:1,5

I am a King/ John 18:37

BLESSED BE THE NAME OF THE LORD.

BLESSED BE THE WORD OF THE LORD.

BLESSED BE THE WAYS OF THE LORD.

BLESSED THE THE LORD GOD OF ABRAHAM, ISAAC AND JACOB.

!MARANATHA!

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
G'O'D is the sound, the 'Aum', the sacred transcendent harmonic that sings creation into existence from nothing, which is also something.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by BO XIAN

There is no doubt as to who or what he was... he said it many times...

The son of God...

Glad we agree on that

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon
reply to post by BO XIAN

There is no doubt as to who or what he was... he said it many times...

The son of God...

Glad we agree on that

But the rest you do not agree on? If you accept one prophecy, you have to accept all, even the one that said "He shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, the MIGHTY GOD, the EVERLASTING FATHER, the Prince of Peace and the government shall be upon His shoulder and of His kingdom there shall be no end"

A child that was to be born should be called the Mighty God and the Everlasting Father?

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by WarminIndy

He was called a lot of things my friend... i wasn't talking about prophecy...

He litterally said "i am the son of God"

I take his words as they are... unlike those that follow him i don't assume he said something he did not...

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   
My God is the creator of all things great and small, he is kind and generous and is gracious enough to give me free will to do as I like. when things go wrong he is often blamed, he is always blamed for mans inhumanity to man, for natures wrath and our folly or stupidity. But he is still my God and I will love and honor him until I can be with him in heaven.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   

I take his words as they are... unlike those that follow him i don't assume he said something he did not...

Hebrews 1:8,9 - But to the Son He (God) says: “Your throne, O God, is forever and ever; A scepter of righteousness is the scepter of Your kingdom. You have loved righteousness and hated lawlessness; Therefore God, Your God, has anointed You with the oil of gladness more than Your companions.”

Revelation 1:7-8 Jesus was the Almighty. Genesis 17:1 And the Almighty was God. John 8:58 Jesus was the "I Am" Exodus 3:14 and the "I Am" was God Acts 3:14 Jesus was the "HOLY ONE" Isaiah 43:15 and the "HOLY ONE" was God John 8:24 Jesus is the "I Am He" Isaiah 43:10 and the "I Am He" was God Revelation 22:13 Jesus is the "First and the Last" Isaiah 44:6 and the "First and the Last" was God I Corinthians 10:4 Jesus was "The Rock" Psalm 18:31 and "The Rock" was God II Corinthians 11:2 Jesus was the "One HUSBAND" Jeremiah 31:32 and the "One HUSBAND" was God Matthew 23:8 Jesus was the "ONE MASTER" Malachi 1:6 and the "ONE MASTER" was God John 10:16 Jesus was the "One SHEPHERD" Isaiah 40:11 and the "ONE SHEPHERD" was God Acts 4:12 Jesus was the "ONE SAVIOR" Isaiah 45:21 and the "ONE SAVIOR" was God Luke 1:68 Jesus was the "ONE REDEEMER" Isaiah 41:14 and the "ONE REDEEMER" was God Revelation 19:16 Jesus was "LORD OF LORDS 1 Timothy 6:14 Jesus was "LORD OF LORDS Deuteronomy 10:17 and the "LORD OF LORDS" was God Philippians 2:10 Every knee must bow to Jesus Isaiah 45:23 Every knee must bow to God John 1: 3-10 Jesus was the "ONE CREATOR" Isaiah 44:24 Jesus was the "ONE CREATOR" Genesis 1:1 and the "ONE CREATOR" was God John 1:49 Jesus was "KING OF ISRAEL" Isaiah 44:6 and the "KING OF ISRAEL" was God

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Exactly what are you trying to prove?

Posting scripture from paul? ha!

You can post all the scripture you want, the fact still remains... was not, is not, never was or will be God...

He is the son of God... nothing more or less...

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   

You could "suppose" but you would be incorrect...

You could also suppose that his followers didn't understand him as he stated multiple times...

And you could also assume that he let his followers worship him because he was the closest thing to God...

Assumptions don't get people very far... even back then.

You don't really need assumptions, his miracles alone and his teachings are enough to do the job. This is why were called believers. Because we believe in him when no one else does. The prophets were believers too, and many of them died horrible deaths for saying it.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   

You can post all the scripture you want, the fact still remains... was not, is not, never was or will be God...

You seem to not know or understand that not only Paul said it. Exactly what are you trying to prove?

Isaiah 44:6 - (God is the Redeemer) 2 Peter 1:1 (Jesus is the Redeemer) - “To those who have obtained like precious faith with us by the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ”

John 8:24 - “Therefore I said to you that you will die in your sins; for if you do not believe that I AM He, you will die in your sins.” John 8:58 - Then Jesus said to them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM.”

I don't want to die in my sins, therefore I must believe that Jesus is the I AM, the one who said to Moses...tell them I AM sent you.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:47 PM
link   
God to me is a bit of a crutch when the rational part of my brain stops functioning so well and I start to wonder if there really is a reason everything in the world is at it is.

God is also an easy idea to blame when my life continues to be horrible and when I don't know why (which is all of the time), it's easier to blame it all on him despite no evidence to prove his existence purely because I can't figure out what else could be screwing things up for me so damn much.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Oops, yes it was Thomas who called Jesus God.

As additional detail, John's gospel claims Jesus was God (not only Paul) in John 1.

Also additionally the Tetragrammaton, the name God gave to Himself from the burning bush, consists of four Hebrew letters. These letters had pictographic meanings at the time of Moses.

Yodh, He, Vau & He.

"Yodh" represents a hand.

"He" represents a window and can also be taken as a view or air movement. Often added to names to indicate the addition of the Holy Spirit (Abram / Abraham or Sarai / Sarah).

"Vau" represents a hook or a nail.

One interpretation of these four letters is 'behold the nail, behold the hand'.

This is a rather weird name for God to call himself unless He was in fact Jesus Christ, pre-incarnate revealing Himself.

There are references to the Messiah being God throughout the Old Testament as well as the New.

To deny deity of Jesus implies that you have not read and understood the scriptures.

If Jesus was a man, even a very good man, He cannot save us from sin and therefore his life and death was pointless form a salvation viewpoint.

If Jesus gave up Godhood to become the firstborn of sanctified humans, the ramifications are mind boggling!

This is the extent of God's love, that He gave up everything so we could be saved and from salvation attain to better than we now are.

We only "ascend" through Christ, who is the first, the "new Adam" and leads us to become like Him. Dead to our human nature and alive to our eternal selves, as God intended.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by WarminIndy

You seem to not know or understand that not only Paul said it. Exactly what are you trying to prove?

Isaiah 44:6 - (God is the Redeemer) 2 Peter 1:1 (Jesus is the Redeemer) - “To those who have obtained like precious faith with us by the righteousness of our God and Savior Jesus Christ”

John 8:24 - “Therefore I said to you that you will die in your sins; for if you do not believe that I AM He, you will die in your sins.” John 8:58 - Then Jesus said to them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM.”

I don't want to die in my sins, therefore I must believe that Jesus is the I AM, the one who said to Moses...tell them I AM sent you.

I have nothing to prove... i know exactly who he was.... and because of that i also know his father as well.

It is you that is trying to prove something that isn't true... its as simple as that.

Either way believe whatever you like... IF you believe in him as you say, do as he asked... And stop making him something he wasn't.

You make him a liar by calling him God...

And you are free to do so

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by lonewolf19792000

You could "suppose" but you would be incorrect...

You could also suppose that his followers didn't understand him as he stated multiple times...

And you could also assume that he let his followers worship him because he was the closest thing to God...

Assumptions don't get people very far... even back then.

You don't really need assumptions, his miracles alone and his teachings are enough to do the job. This is why were called believers. Because we believe in him when no one else does. The prophets were believers too, and many of them died horrible deaths for saying it.

He also died a horible death for something he did not claim to be...

What is your point?

As i've said to warmwindy... IF you believe in him as you say... do as he asked

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by chr0naut

I do not deny anything about who he was... as i've said i know exactly who he was...

I simply don't assume he said something he did not.... And he did not claim to be God... ever

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 12:03 AM
link   

reply to post by chr0naut

I do not deny anything about who he was... as i've said i know exactly who he was...

I simply don't assume he said something he did not.... And he did not claim to be God... ever

He didn't claim to be God, he claimed to be I AM, whose name happens to be...Yahweh, the Lord.

John 8:56-59

56Your father Abraham rejoiced to see my day: and he saw it, and was glad.
57Then said the Jews unto him, Thou art not yet fifty years old, and hast thou seen Abraham?
58Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am.
59Then took they up stones to cast at him: but Jesus hid himself, and went out of the temple, going through the midst of them, and so passed by.

Here, Jesus claims that the Sabbath was his day, the Lord's Day. He also says something the jews didn't much care for to the point they were going to try to stone him. Claiming you lived 2000 years wouldn't be enough for them to stone you, they would have just laughed at you and thought you were crazy. It was his claiming to be I AM that angered them. Those 2 words "I AM" was considered blasphemy for anyone to say.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Lol, i was looking for Hebrews 1:8-9 in Revelation, thought i had seen it there. I spent an hour digging around in Revelation looking for that.

Glad to see you beat me to that one. Right there the Father calls the Son God. Sometimes i get the impression there are 2 God's when i read those verses and i get a feeling of vertigo.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by theubermensch

I killed god. He is dead. I am ze ubermensch

Puny human. Only human. Just like the rest of us.

posted on Feb, 3 2012 @ 01:33 AM
link   
God is the symbol of a master. One who I don't need nor do I care for as I was free from birth.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join