It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's the worst thing you had to eat to survive?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   
There is all kinds of tasty survival type foods available from prepacked MRE's to powerbars that cram a lot of energy in a small package. Most people though rarely find themselves in a situation where they must eat something they didn't plan on to survive.

The only thing that I would classify as unexpected survival food for me was something I forced myself to eat after 4 days with no food.
I was about 14 and went deep in the woods one weekend with a couple of canteens full of water, my 22 rifle and a backpack with some other essentials. By essentials I mean some salt, pepper, flour...ect but no other food. My plan was to shoot about 3 or 4 squirrels each day. I went to a spot that I just knew was overrun with squirrels...or so I thought.

For some reason I couldn't find any in the area although I had killed lots of them in the same location before.
Later that evening, I dug up some sassafras roots and made some sassafras tea to drink. There were lots of acorns, but I didn't want to waste may water leeching the tannins out, so I didn't eat any of them.

The same thing happened the next couple of days. On day 4 I ended up down by the river and was thinking about rigging up something to catch some fish when a big old sea gull landed near me. Hunger got the best of me and I shot it, cooked it, and ate it.

It was the nastiest tasting thing I ever ate. Somehow, I managed to choke it down without puking. After that I headed home, I was sick to my stomach for the next two days. I have learned a lot since I was 14 but still relish this as a great learning experience. Granted, 4 days without food is not going to kill anyone, but I was hungry enough to begin feeling a little desperate.

So, what is the most disgusting thing you ate in order to survive.
edit on 2/2/2012 by Sparky63 because: Spelling...always spelling! *&^&%$#%$@

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   
When there was nothing else left to eat, I ate a hotpocket once.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:17 AM
link   
i used to eat like 4 hot pockets every day

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
A dairylea triangle, I was soooooooooo skint!

link   
I'll answer that backwards ... the worst thing is that I've had to GIVE UP things to eat in order to survive.
I had to give up coffee and bread and cereal and pasta and sugar ....
GOD I WANT COFFEE!! And a bowl of Great Grains cereal. But never again! UGH.

link   
reply to post by Sparky63

When my family was going through tough times we used to get sugar toast for breakfast. It's apparently what my grandpa got for breakfast during the Great Depression too. Stale bread toasted with either Crisco, or margarine and brown sugar. My brothers and I were little so we thought it was the greatest thing ever. I tried it again recently and chewing on sugar is NOT pleasant...

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by AMANNAMEDQUEST
When there was nothing else left to eat, I ate a hotpocket once.

Hot pockets wouldn't be bad. they have enough preservatives and chemicals in them to last a long time. You could wrap it up in tin foil and heat it up on some coals. I haven't eaten one of them in about 10 years ..can't say I missed them either.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:22 AM
link   
hot pockets are known for having foreign objects in them sometimes. I think there was a recall once.... www.youtube.com...

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by JewelFlip

I remember eating those, but we sprinkled a little cinnamon on them along with the sugar. I used to love these when I was kid. Me and my brother could go through a whole loaf of bread snacking on them. I could probably still down a few slices without much hesitation.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I am in the same boat with regards to the bread, pasta & sugar. I am trying to eliminate these from my diet. But I draw the line at coffee. I drink it black so I don't think it is doing much harm.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Like I said, we thought it was awesome! I just couldn't do it these days - I'll take oil and vinegar on stale bread before I go that uber-sweet route again. It was just the best option our parents could give us when we didn't have much in the way of food. Although these days sugar is growing more expensive, so what was cheap and available during the Depression won't be so available should we go through it again.

Grossest thing I've ever chocked down to stave off hunger (not survival) was after a very busy snowboarding day in the Czech Republic, and my husbands family was all munching on these canned fish from Finland or Denmark (they are good for potassium or something) and I ate 2 of them because dinner wasn't for a couple of hours and I was famished. I didn't keep em down though...

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I've had the misfortune of being homeless.
The run up to becoming homeless was HARD. I lived on nothing but bread and cereal. I couldn't afford to buy any proper food. I was scared too eat too much of any thing I had in case I ran out and couldn't afford more, but I was too scared not to eat in case it made me really ill, and I was already losing weight because of eating so little to begin with.
I know bread and cereal doesn't sound bad, but when its the only thing you have to eat, and you eat it for every meal, it becomes disgusting.
Thank god for good friends.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I had to eat my mom when we got stranded on the peak of mount everest.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   

True story:
The incident took place when I was about 6 years old and I had heard horror stories but had never been in that position but just the stories of it scared the hell out of me.
My Mom had made liver for dinner and she told me she'd beat me to death if I didn't eat dinner.
It was a horrible ordeal, I still shudder.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Mine has to be a chicken period sandwich. all though they taste nice and can more easily be eaten when known as egg. Its still a chickens period and that worse than any bug or anything i can think of.
edit on 2-2-2012 by ThePeopleParty because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by ThePeopleParty

I have a hard boiled egg in my lunch box today....thanks to you, when I eat it, the words, "chicken period" will overshadow my thoughts about how good it tastes.
I will still eat it, but I don't think I will enjoy it as much.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
Interesting thread. Just ask any former military person who has attended jungle survival school. You might ask some of the few native americans who spend months in the woods as shamans. probably the worst though has to be the diet of the fabled Sasquatch which includes things like pine cone nuts, raw deer liver, raw berries and some mushrooms, fungus and other juicy forest tidbits.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by airforce47

True.
I remember the line in Rambo when Colonel Trautman tells the sheriff that Rambo was trained "to live off the land and eat things that would make a billy goat puke." I'm sure some of those guys have eaten some pretty disgusting things. You do what you have to do to survive.

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   
hade ramen for about a year and a half all day everyday. GROSS
edit on 2-2-2012 by Haites because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 2 2012 @ 11:50 AM
link   
neighbors cat, it actually was not that bad. I felt bad because their kids were all upset but it all worked out in the end.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join